do you buy games because of hype? ads, e3, etc?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. do you buy games because of hype? ads, e3, etc?

User Info: elemental_rush

elemental_rush
2 months ago#1
do you buy games because of hype? ads, e3, etc? - Results (47 votes)
yes
19.15% (9 votes)
no
70.21% (33 votes)
what is ads?
2.13% (1 votes)
what is e3?
2.13% (1 votes)
what is etc?
6.38% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
what do you think? have you been burned before buying a game because of hype, etc? wat is waxsx
breaking the internet. one post at a time

User Info: vashkey

vashkey
2 months ago#2
Well, those are methods from which you learn about the games, i how phrase it is going to make it sound less appealing.

Games are a visual medium, trailers are going to do a much better job selling a game than reading about the experience.

"Hype" doesnt sell me a game. The premise and how well executed it looks does. I like to wait for reviews some times but its fun to take a risk every now and then and try it.

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
2 months ago#3
Hype may spark my interest in a game but I'd never buy a game based on hype alone. That's just foolish.
Go Leafs Go!!!

User Info: kennyynnoo

kennyynnoo
2 months ago#4
Addiction.
Ps4/x1/pc
Don't pick a side, you sound poor if you do.
(message deleted)

User Info: elemental_rush

elemental_rush
2 months ago#6
bump
breaking the internet. one post at a time

User Info: zombody

zombody
2 months ago#7
Nope.

I learned many years ago that my opinion and popular opinion are ridiculously different things.
This George Carlin quote sums up Meta Critic..."Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

User Info: jellybeanmaster

jellybeanmaster
2 months ago#8
like anyone is going to admit o being part of the problem and say yes
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,

User Info: Mirage13

Mirage13
2 months ago#9
jellybeanmaster posted...
like anyone is going to admit o being part of the problem and say yes

I admit to buying games in the past due to their hype because they end up usually looking so good. However, it looks like that will be coming to end because of loot boxes being implemented in modern AAA 'hyped up' games (see sig). I've already avoided Shadow of War and will be avoiding Star Wars: Battlefront II.
If you care at all for gaming, you will NEVER support microtransactions or loot boxes.

User Info: Dfy556

Dfy556
2 months ago#10
They can get me interested in a game, but ultimately I buy it if I judge it to be of sound principles (ethics, like DLC practices, loot crate nonsense, etc) and its gameplay looks good. Most games that catch my eye at E3 I don't end up buying. In those cases the games typically have bland, uninspired, gameplay (think COD, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, etc) or they have terrible DLC practices. I also refuse to buy games on the basis of deviating from old standards of quality. Some games just get worse over time. Latest example for me is Gears 4.

So no, I don't buy games off hype. Last time I did that I bought Destiny. I won't make that mistake again.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. do you buy games because of hype? ads, e3, etc?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived