How many tflops required Next Gen?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How many tflops required Next Gen?

User Info: quincy2000a

quincy2000a
1 month ago#21
...just get rid of that Jaguar CPU...it's too compromised...Ryzen would have put the X1X into a whole different category...boat...
Q: "I presume there will never be an Xbox One sold without it...Would that be correct?"
A: "Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP

User Info: zico291

zico291
1 month ago#22
quincy2000a posted...
...just get rid of that Jaguar CPU...it's too compromised...Ryzen would have put the X1X into a whole different category...boat...

The reason Xbox One X didn't have a Ryzen is because the custom chips for consoles etc don't come out until next year. I fully expect Ryzen to be in both the next PS/Xbox consoles. Jaguar is a piece of crap and a massive bottleneck.

User Info: holden4ever

holden4ever
1 month ago#23
What they should do next gen is make both consoles with the exact same specs. Then it just comes down to what controller, online, friends and achievements/trophies you prefer. Sony fans will still buy Sony and Microsoft fans will still buy Microsoft but both should get the same experience.
https://i.imgur.com/wTUjLps.jpg
RIP Holden

User Info: Pyro_Yuy

Pyro_Yuy
1 month ago#24
About tree fiddy
Taylor Swift is my Patronus.
http://wp.me/1EBnQ

User Info: Grenadus

Grenadus
1 month ago#25
zico291 posted...
quincy2000a posted...

The reason Xbox One X didn't have a Ryzen is because the custom chips for consoles etc don't come out until next year. I fully expect Ryzen to be in both the next PS/Xbox consoles. Jaguar is a piece of crap and a massive bottleneck.

This,not to mention they wanted to keep the XB1X in the line of Xbox family as it's just a 4k upgrade

User Info: zico291

zico291
1 month ago#26
Grenadus posted...
zico291 posted...
quincy2000a posted...

This,not to mention they wanted to keep the XB1X in the line of Xbox family as it's just a 4k upgrade

That is also the reason. I believe (I may be wrong) that if they switched the CPU in the X from Jaguar then they would have to emulate all X1 games that are not getting a X1 patch.

I think that is one of the reasons that the PS Pro has two GPU's.

User Info: Solis

Solis
1 month ago#27
There's no specific "flops" required for something to be considered a new generation. However, I'd like to see consoles reach at least 12 TFLOPS, with 16 TFLOPS being ideal, but it also depends on how long it will be until the next generation consoles are released. If they don't release the next generation of consoles for another 4 years though, then I hope they'd target 20 TFLOPS or higher.

NSGraphite posted...
8 minimum.

12 is good. Consoles will probably target this.

Top PC will be 16

Top PC is already up to nearly 14 TFLOPS for the GPU alone, so by the time the next generation of consoles releases several years from now (lets just be extremely generous and say it will only be another 2 years, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4 years until the next generation will be released), we should see well above 20 TFLOPS of performance. It only took about 2 years for AMD to increase their highest end card's performance by 60%, so with a similar increase in the same timeframe, you're looking at about 22 TFLOPS by 2019 and around 35 TFLOPS by 2021. At that point, 16 TFLOPS would be considered midrange performance on PC.

NSGraphite posted...
Next gen won't be 8k native. There will probably be 8k upscaling on the PC side though.

Don't expect 8k to be affordable on the consumer side till about 2025

You can already play games at 8k on PC using current hardware (not "upscaling"), it just depends entirely what graphic quality and framerate you're happy with. Hell, some less demanding titles can already hit that quite playably on just a GTX 1070.

dweeeeb2 posted...
So if we guess at 12 how long before a console could do this with a powerful enough cpu all for $500?

I'd say in another 2 years it should be possible, although it also depends on if they would increase the RAM by any particular amount.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review

User Info: Masamune_6969

Masamune_6969
1 month ago#28
8K looks the same as 4K, so they won't target 8K anytime soon anyway. It'll take too much power to do and too much cost for the consumer.

Next gen will be 12-16 tflops as I said in my first post. It'll target 4K @ 60fps across most if not all games and with PC ultra level settings.

User Info: bojangles22

bojangles22
1 month ago#29
I think custom onboard chip instructions are going to be as important as teraflops, if not more important.
"All one of them has to do is outperform the other on a multiplat.
No moved goalposts for me--whichever one outperforms the other wins." Quincy2000a

User Info: Solis

Solis
1 month ago#30
Masamune_6969 posted...
Next gen will be 12-16 tflops as I said in my first post. It'll target 4K @ 60fps across most if not all games and with PC ultra level settings.

I highly, highly doubt anywhere near a majority of games will target 60FPS, and definitely not at 4K. The current generation consoles with half to a third of that power aren't running most games at even a quarter of that framerate/resolution combination, and that's WITH reduced console-level settings that are often far from PC ultra level, AND only targeting current visual expectations. In 2 to 4 years, when visual standards will be even higher, trying to basically quadruple the resolution/framerate demands AND provide substantially higher visual quality on hardware far less than quadruple the power just isn't practical.

Regardless of how powerful the hardware is, most developers opt for higher visual than higher framerate anyway, so it's unlikely they'll target 60FPS as a standard.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How many tflops required Next Gen?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived