TTK - Speedy Kills or Reactive Battles?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. TTK - Speedy Kills or Reactive Battles?

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
2 months ago#1
Though it's not specific to shooters, "TTK" is an acronym which stands for "time to kill". It refers to... well, the time to kill an opponent.

For many years, it's been argued which offers the best kind of gameplay - quick TTK or slow TTK. With a quick TTK, you can take out enemies in the blink of an eye, with one or two bullets - conversely you tend to play a lot more conservatively for fear of your life (which might be erased in a flash with the wrong move). With a slow TTK however, your opponent has a longer time to react and counterattack, resulting in more prolonged, psychological battles (and if the shoe's on the other foot, gives you a chance to fight back).

In a more survival-heavy, realistic shooter, (Counter Strike, Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG) a low TTK makes sense for a more slow, considered, stealthy, pre-emptive playstyle where deaths/losses hit hard. In these games it's typically shoot-or-be-shoot, with very little variables in the mix.

In a less intense, more reactive shooter (Halo, Crysis, The Division), players may have multiple different tools available to plan and react in a counter-offensive, making you just as likely to prevail in a fight if you were caught off-guard as opposed to initiating the conflict.

There's a lot of talk of which requires the most skill. Some would argue your reaction times need to be better for a low TTK game, others say "it just boils down to who sees who first". Some people argue that low TTK games require more thought as initiating a fight doesn't ensure you'll win, but conversely it means your opponent always has a chance to simply flee from the fight entirely.

What do you think, Gamefaqs? TTK - (Low TTK) Speedy Kills or (High TTK) Reactive Battles?
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
2 months ago#2
Siege is my favourite competitive shooter this gen so...
Go Leafs Go!!!

User Info: RonBurgundy929

RonBurgundy929
2 months ago#3
TTK doesn't really bother me, but a headshot should always be a kill. Not a kill in 2 or 3 headshots. Counter-Strike is infamous for that s***.
Xbox One & PS4 Pro: RonBurgundy929

User Info: coldisgood

coldisgood
2 months ago#4
I think it depends on the game. A game based around movement abilities like titanfall needs a slightly higher ttk than cod to make playing the game how the developers intended advantageous instead of suicide.

I'm very anti hardcore cod since it's incredibly unrealistic (get shot in pinky toe by smg across the map and insta die) whereas core mode (make a person stop shooting at you with 3-5 rounds to the chest) makes a lot more sense to me. It also provides a slight amount of room for counterplay but never so much that you can get turned on unless you're horrible and momentarily have potato aim.

For the most part it seems necessary to be a balance between what the developers want to implement as far as abilities and counterplay (which I think the more of that that's in the game the higher the TTK) but also not making it a team shotting juggernaut fest that has such a high ttk that it takes away from individual skill (hey destiny pvp)...unless of course, it is meant to be a team game that has ability usage and roles(overwatch)/if the setting requires it (mech game etc)
<code> M'Aiq knows that there are no babies, instead, the mother must deliver a five foot Imperial. -Sinroth </code>

SigmaLongshot
2 months ago#5
coldisgood posted...
I think it depends on the game. A game based around movement abilities like titanfall needs a slightly higher ttk than cod to make playing the game how the developers intended advantageous instead of suicide.

I'm very anti hardcore cod since it's incredibly unrealistic (get shot in pinky toe by smg across the map and insta die) whereas core mode (make a person stop shooting at you with 3-5 rounds to the chest) makes a lot more sense to me. It also provides a slight amount of room for counterplay but never so much that you can get turned on unless you're horrible and momentarily have potato aim.

For the most part it seems necessary to be a balance between what the developers want to implement as far as abilities and counterplay (which I think the more of that that's in the game the higher the TTK) but also not making it a team shotting juggernaut fest that has such a high ttk that it takes away from individual skill (hey destiny pvp)...unless of course, it is meant to be a team game that has ability usage and roles(overwatch)/if the setting requires it (mech game etc)

I think a good place to look for this contrast is SWAT mode in Halo. It alters the way the game is played entirely, because the TTK is lowered a significant amount to the point where counterplay is eliminated.

A lot of people like this mode, but I feel it pulls away from what makes Halo's multiplayer so fun - the reactive counterattacks and daring escapes.

User Info: Halo_Forever

Halo_Forever
2 months ago#6
Reactive battles for my part, low TTK makes it a "who saw who first"-cheese -fest.

And I say this even as someone who performs a lot better when the TTK is low.
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....

SigmaLongshot
2 months ago#7
Another good example (and quite relevant at the moment) is the whole PUBG vs Fortnite Battle Royale scenario.

PUBG isn't extremely low TTK, but you can't take much punishment before eating the worms. Meanwhile, Fortnite allows players a much higher punishment absorption.

We won't get into the issue of how much Fortnite "borrows" from PUBG - but as these games are so similar, it allows us to directly compare the two and gauge which better fits the format - and I think in this circumstance, PUBG is far more apt for having such a focus on self-preservation. In my opinion, you're far less inclined to go in gung-ho when you know fine well you could be felled in one focused blitz.

SigmaLongshot
2 months ago#8
Halo_Forever posted...
Reactive battles for my part, low TTK makes it a "who saw who first"-cheese -fest.

And I say this even as someone who performs a lot better when the TTK is low.

I think I prefer a lower time to kill, too.

Not just because I dislike never having seen who killed me (which is disheartening at best and enraging at worst, when the killcam pops up and you see someone camped out half a mile away with a high-powered sniper rifle, a bag of sweet rainbow popcorn and a two-litre bottle of Fanta) but I also enjoy the added strategy of initiating a skirmish and watching how my enemy reacts - if he/she responds with some accurate, well-aimed counterattacks, more kudos to them for being so skilled. If he/she responds with panicked blindfire, well... I get a good laugh out of it.

User Info: dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2
2 months ago#9
very dependent on mechanics of the game - gun capabilities etc. But longer ttk is much more rewarding imo, it calls for more than simple twitch response and helps team focus. Some of the cat and mouse in halo will be in my memories forever. Thing is get your weapon and frags right and ttk in halo can be very short, but it takes skill and depletes your resources, love it
XBL/PSN GT: dweeeeb

User Info: NuclearHendrix

NuclearHendrix
2 months ago#10
Low TTK, definitely. With low TTK, you see players being more cautious/tactical, resulting in a more realistic battle. With High TTK, it's just a wild melee.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. TTK - Speedy Kills or Reactive Battles?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived