Why aren't their really many games with a left handed protagonist?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Why aren't their really many games with a left handed protagonist?

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#11
twinstarnumber1 posted...
Link used to be left handed, he’s right on BotW. Don’t know if that’s going to be a permanent change.

i hope not. the reasoning aonuma gave is f***ing *SPECIAL*
"buttons are on the right, so hes a righty now".

oh, buttons on the right? you mean.. LIKE EVERY SINGLE f***ING NINTENDO CONTROLLER?
they ruined one of the better characteristic of link.
hes still a lefty in smash and the 3ds games.
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
"dont call gay art gay" -some mod. then WHAT is it, and WHATS its name????

User Info: Mr_arizona

Mr_arizona
1 month ago#12
dr_zomberg posted...
Mr_arizona posted...
ClassyCatt posted...
Who's left handed from RE?

Sheva from RE5. Also in RE6 you can set all your characters to left handed if you wanted.

no you dont, you simply tilt the camera.
characters dont magically become lefties just because.

https://muralgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Sheva-Resident-Evil-1.jpg

Sheva is Left handed not just a camera preference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Gq-Y-Lwcw

And yes the person is using a mod but when he jumps from shoulder to shoulder (a lot during the 2-3 min mark) he switches arms while holding his shotgun.
http://i.imgur.com/VBDN2Pi.gif
https://wwewritten.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/r80.gif

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#13
i meant re6 specifically. sheva IS a lefty. none of the re6 characters are unless you switch the camera.
precisely to acomodate the preference. being right with a camera panning to the left would be pretty akward.

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#14
Forgive my ignorance here, but besides the aforementioned over-the-shoulder switching in a TPS, is there any real boon to a left-handed player seeing a left-handed avatar on-screen beyond just the aesthetic link?

Like for something like Link in Legend of Zelda, I legitimately didn't notice he was a lefty until he changed in Twilight Princess (I think he was still a lefty on the Gamecube, but a righty on the Wii) and all the real-life lefty community had a fit about it.

What I mean is, mechanically it made no difference to me having played as Lefty Link versus Righty Link, so surely having a left-handed protagonist in this circumstance is just for the sake of having a more kindred connection than any kind of gameplay benefit, right?
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#15
SigmaLongshot posted...
Forgive my ignorance here, but besides the aforementioned over-the-shoulder switching in a TPS, is there any real boon to a left-handed player seeing a left-handed avatar on-screen beyond just the aesthetic link?

Like for something like Link in Legend of Zelda, I legitimately didn't notice he was a lefty until he changed in Twilight Princess (I think he was still a lefty on the Gamecube, but a righty on the Wii) and all the real-life lefty community had a fit about it.

What I mean is, mechanically it made no difference to me having played as Lefty Link versus Righty Link, so surely having a left-handed protagonist in this circumstance is just for the sake of having a more kindred connection than any kind of gameplay benefit, right?

there was no issue, nintendo merely thought the masses were (and are, apparently) too stupid to grasp the concept of a character that used his sword with his left hand while they perform the moves with a right hand. im right, but in fencing classes i used my sword with my left hand.

User Info: kryptin

kryptin
1 month ago#16
SigmaLongshot posted...

The Wii version of TP is a mirror of the gamecube version. Everything in the game is on the opposite side.
Gamertag: kryptin - http://www.trueachievements.com/Kryptin.htm
Currently Playing: Resident Evil Revelations 2 (X1)

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#17
kryptin posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

The Wii version of TP is a mirror of the gamecube version. Everything in the game is on the opposite side.

Oh no, I understood that, and I can understand why the Wii version in particular could get lefties a bit angered (the game was mirrored because the designers felt having the sword in Link's right hand would better represent the wiimote's actions utilised in the dominant hand of the player - by majority, that was right-handed people).

But in the case of every other non-motion controlled game, you have more of a detachment from the player character. A left-handed player and a right-handed player just tap the "A" button the same way for the same results, so I don't see how it would mechanically benefit them to have their character be a lefty.

In the case of motion-controlled games, of course. I get why that'd be an irk. Other than that I'm scratching my head.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: agentspoon

agentspoon
1 month ago#18
https://i.imgur.com/6JW8OXm.gif
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!

User Info: Agent_Stroud

Agent_Stroud
1 month ago#19
Clearly not you, Spoon, judging by the gif that you posted. :-/

We get it, not everyone gives a s*** about the lack of lefties in video games, but when the few pre-existing lefties start getting changed to righties for no other reason than to please the masses, people have a right to complain about it especially when it goes against the established backstory of a particularly left-handed character such as Link.

By the way, please forgive me in advance if I seem a little cranky at the moment. I just woke up an hour and a half earlier than I needed to and I haven’t had my morning cup of coffee yet. :-(
Official Chase McCain of the Lego City Undercover board.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User Info: agentspoon

agentspoon
1 month ago#20
@Agent_Stroud

I am on my third cup of tea so i'm good :D

That gif was half my reaction and the other half cos its hilarious but really there are bigger and more pressing things to worry about in gaming than what hand your character uses.
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Why aren't their really many games with a left handed protagonist?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived