Purchasing ELEX?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Purchasing ELEX?

User Info: cheezedadada

cheezedadada
1 month ago#31
That Eurogamer review summed up my exact thoughts:

One can't help but wonder what game might one day arise were Piranha Bytes ever given the development resources of Bethesda, because with less than a quarter of the numbers that worked full-time on making Fallout 4, Piranha Bytes have cobbled together an RPG that in some areas comes close to matching it. Yes, Elex is far, far scrappier overall, the lore is clumsy and unconvincing, and there's enough grit in the combat, presentation and parts of the narrative to have you running for the nearest GOTY Edition chart-topping RPG. But, if you give Elex the benefit of the doubt, it's many freedoms will start to win you over - to the point that on completion you may subsequently find yourself thumbing through this developer's undervalued back catalogue before cracking the seal on the Next Big Thing.

I've been saying this for years. Give Piranha Bytes a big budget and a bigger team and I really think they could kick out an RPG that would rake in the GOTY awards.
XBL- cheezedadada / PSN- cheezedadadada

User Info: simonbelmont2

simonbelmont2
1 month ago#32
cheezedadada posted...
simonbelmont2 posted...
That doesn't even surprise me: it seems to be a common issue with games made by smaller devs like Spiders and Piranha Bytes. Spiders games are always like that and Technomancer in particular was brutal too.

I had a feeling the enemies in Elex would be like that.

Yeah, I'm not too surprised either to be honest. This is to a whole new level though and you can literally get 1-shotted by a trash-tier enemy early in the game. I'm totally fine with a challenge, but I have this huge pet peeve that revolves around this situation. The lowest difficulty setting is called "easy":

eas·y
ˈēzē/
adjective
adjective: easy; comparative adjective: easier; superlative adjective: easiest

achieved without great effort; presenting few difficulties.

Getting 2-shotted by a mole doesn't meet the criteria of "easy". I'm spending more time running from tiny bugs than I am fighting them just because I don't want to burn through health potions. Just call the difficulty settings "Super hard", "Hard" and "...Still Hard" haha. Get that "easy" s*** out of here if it doesn't play that way.

Here's an example of one of my few deaths (I've ran from everything else so the death count is still really low.):

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/cheezedadada/video/37992500

That's a town guard so of course they are always made out to be absurdly powerful, but there are trash-tier enemies right outside of town that kill you this fast as well. That might change soon though if I keep leveling up. We'll see.

I ran across the map and stumbled into a Mad Max / Fallout / Megaton looking place. It's really cool. The world is so strange and really fun to explore. Would be perfect if I could explore without running from 2-shotting ants though lol.

Ha, ha that two hit kill was brutal mate. Stuff like that kinda annoys me and it makes me not want to engage in combat at all. Getting two shotted by a mole is ridiculous too.

I am like you as I think an "easy" difficulty should actually be relatively easy. In Bound by Flame I was killed in three hits by some enemies on the easy difficulty.
I love the friends I've gathered together on this thin raft.

User Info: SammichTime

SammichTime
1 month ago#33
cheezedadada posted...
I've been saying this for years. Give Piranha Bytes a big budget and a bigger team and I really think they could kick out an RPG that would rake in the GOTY awards.

You can say that about a lot of small companies and some indie game studios nowadays. I don't wanna say they got more heart compared to AAA companies, but more enthusiasm to make and add what they like instead of trying to appeal to a marketing demographic.
We need more giant robots
GT: Barcnori

User Info: thechairmen

thechairmen
1 month ago#34
I'm getting it but I won't get it to until either December or early next year based on the games I'm playing the rest of the year. ELEX looks good and it's nice to see an RPG so its on my must buy list of games and I'm not too familiar with Piranha Games

simonbelmont2
1 month ago#35
SammichTime posted...
cheezedadada posted...

You can say that about a lot of small companies and some indie game studios nowadays. I don't wanna say they got more heart compared to AAA companies, but more enthusiasm to make and add what they like instead of trying to appeal to a marketing demographic.

True.

cheezedadada
1 month ago#36
simonbelmont2 - haha yeah, it's pretty rough to watch your character get brutalized by something that looks so weak. Even worse is when two separate enemies come at you at the same time. Taking out two trash-tier critters in this game is the equivalent of fighting Ornstein and Smough with the Diddy Kong bongos as a controller. I did hear that it's like every other PB game though and you end up becoming pretty powerful. It's always like that with their games...you start off weak and end up nearly unkillable.

My (mostly joking) complaint aside, this game is incredibly charming. I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend this game to someone who likes this type of game as long as they are OK with the jankyness. I thank god that developers like Piranha Bytes are still around making games like this. The world feels like it was crafted with love by a small team of developers who really have a passion for RPGs. I really hope everyone who picks it up sticks with it for a bit and experiences that moment where it clicks for them.

SammichTime - I definitely agree with you. I have a nice little list of developers that fit that criteria and I will always give their games a shot. Although that did backfire once when I tried Raven's Cry because I liked Reality Pump Studios' Two Worlds 1 and 2. I'm sure they will win me over again with TW3 though.

thechairmen - That works out nicely because it'll be cheaper and hopefully more patched up by then. As long as you're OK with the jank (I've been using that word a lot, but it describes PB's games perfectly) you'll uncover a great RPG with a really interesting hand-crafted world.

simonbelmont2
1 month ago#37
cheezedadada posted...
simonbelmont2 - haha yeah, it's pretty rough to watch your character get brutalized by something that looks so weak. Even worse is when two separate enemies come at you at the same time. Taking out two trash-tier critters in this game is the equivalent of fighting Ornstein and Smough with the Diddy Kong bongos as a controller. I did hear that it's like every other PB game though and you end up becoming pretty powerful. It's always like that with their games...you start off weak and end up nearly unkillable.

My (mostly joking) complaint aside, this game is incredibly charming. I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend this game to someone who likes this type of game as long as they are OK with the jankyness. I thank god that developers like Piranha Bytes are still around making games like this. The world feels like it was crafted with love by a small team of developers who really have a passion for RPGs. I really hope everyone who picks it up sticks with it for a bit and experiences that moment where it clicks for them.

SammichTime - I definitely agree with you. I have a nice little list of developers that fit that criteria and I will always give their games a shot. Although that did backfire once when I tried Raven's Cry because I liked Reality Pump Studios' Two Worlds 1 and 2. I'm sure they will win me over again with TW3 though.

thechairmen - That works out nicely because it'll be cheaper and hopefully more patched up by then. As long as you're OK with the jank (I've been using that word a lot, but it describes PB's games perfectly) you'll uncover a great RPG with a really interesting hand-crafted world.

Ha, ha thanks for the info man.

I'll no doubt buy the game when it's on sale. At least the main character can eventually become more competent from the sound of things. I imagine having the jetpack may help one get out of tough situations early on.

cheezedadada
1 month ago#38
Finally! After hours of exploring and grinding, my character is now able to put up a fight with most enemies. Got some good armor, a nice sword and board combo and leveled up my health and strength by a good amount. The game has changed entirely now that I feel a little bit more relaxed during exploration. I can appreciate the environments much better now and pay more attention to the world around me.

So yeah, it starts off rough, but it gets much better as you go along. I noticed a pretty nice improvement in my character after hitting level 8-9. Still running into some enemies that can stomp me, but it's not happening with every single one of them like a few hours ago.

User Info: TheCyborgNinja

TheCyborgNinja
1 month ago#39
I had a bunch of money in my MS wallet, so I went for it when it was 10% off. I read enough about it prior to buying it that I feel confident I will be happy. I mean, I found a way to enjoy Two Worlds II, so...
"message parlor" ? do you mean the post office ? - SlayerX888

cheezedadada
1 month ago#40
TheCyborgNinja posted...
I had a bunch of money in my MS wallet, so I went for it when it was 10% off. I read enough about it prior to buying it that I feel confident I will be happy. I mean, I found a way to enjoy Two Worlds II, so...

Two Worlds II is one of my favorite games!

On topic: I just joined the clerics in ELEX and now I have this weapon that does PSI damage and another one that shoots lasers. I basically look like Commander Shepard and enemies are dropping like flies. It's crazy just how much the game has picked up in the last couple of hours. Some people might think it starts off a little slow, but once it starts picking up it basically goes from 0 to 100. There's so much going on right now in my game.

I think I'm like ~13 hours deep. Have to stop because I'll be waking up for work soon. =/
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Purchasing ELEX?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived