We hate 2013's Xbox One for "always online", but...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. We hate 2013's Xbox One for "always online", but...

User Info: MertensCW

MertensCW
1 month ago#111
SpongeBob_SP posted...
I'm pretty sure most people decried the DRM, because of the stripping of rights for physical games. I know that's why I disagreed with it. I still can't believe some people defend this 4 years later...

It's insane but the dumbing down on rights irl not just video games as this is happening throughout.
as an FYI to people, the FCC will try to end Net Neutrality during Thanksgiving! Despite having had record feedback 9 Million + comments against it the last time they tried and gamers everywhere should definitely care about this.
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.

User Info: TheCyborgNinja

TheCyborgNinja
1 month ago#112
Always-on will never be okay with me. I have awesome internet, I just don’t want to be tethered to some f***ing DRM. I’d compromise with games requiring an online activation the first time and you being unable to sell them (but not require the disc).
"message parlor" ? do you mean the post office ? - SlayerX888

User Info: medmuscle

medmuscle
1 month ago#113
DrRockso87 posted...
It was Microsoft’s fault that the original Xbox One failed.

You can blame the masses saying, “b-b-b-but they use internet!! They’re so dumb!!” But Microsoft barely did anything at E3 to explain WHAT the Xbox One was! All they did was say, “here’s Games! Games! Want some games?! Games! Games!” They expected Sony to follow suit but Sony didn’t and instead decided the PS4 would be just like the PS3 and painted Microsoft as the Devil. It was a dick move on Sony’s part but that’s competition.

Microsoft should’ve came out at E3 and said, “here’s what it will be like with the Xbox One. You’ll be able to sell your digital games. Games may even go down in price.” Etc. Etc. They didn’t do any of that so people didn’t understand it only hearing the “always online” and “can’t sell used disc games” features and switched to PS4 so Microsoft went into full damage control and pulled the plug.

As for ‘Gran Turismo Sport’, it is pretty screwed up that people are just taking that crap laying down. It’s like, “this is always online. I thought that bothered everyone four years ago? Not anymore?”

The dick move was on MS part. Period.

Something could have been done to sell your digital games without a f***ing mandatory check-in requirement. If you want to sell, just sign on yourself. Plus, why in the hell couldn't you loan your physical copy to a friend? Or buy a used copy without being penalized?

This was f***ing horrible. It's mindblowing that so many people find excuses for this pigs***. There's nothing else to say about it.

That said, I'm not thrilled about Sony making the latest GT online only. It's pigs***, but at least it's not the whole damn console! I still have total control of my console. It shouldn't be any other way. EVER.
There needs to be anabolic steroid law reform. Bodybuilding is NOT a criminal activity. Also, putting someone on ignore means you are a delicate little flower.

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#114
medmuscle posted...
DrRockso87 posted...
It was Microsoft’s fault that the original Xbox One failed.

You can blame the masses saying, “b-b-b-but they use internet!! They’re so dumb!!” But Microsoft barely did anything at E3 to explain WHAT the Xbox One was! All they did was say, “here’s Games! Games! Want some games?! Games! Games!” They expected Sony to follow suit but Sony didn’t and instead decided the PS4 would be just like the PS3 and painted Microsoft as the Devil. It was a dick move on Sony’s part but that’s competition.

Microsoft should’ve came out at E3 and said, “here’s what it will be like with the Xbox One. You’ll be able to sell your digital games. Games may even go down in price.” Etc. Etc. They didn’t do any of that so people didn’t understand it only hearing the “always online” and “can’t sell used disc games” features and switched to PS4 so Microsoft went into full damage control and pulled the plug.

As for ‘Gran Turismo Sport’, it is pretty screwed up that people are just taking that crap laying down. It’s like, “this is always online. I thought that bothered everyone four years ago? Not anymore?”

The dick move was on MS part. Period.

Something could have been done to sell your digital games without a f***ing mandatory check-in requirement. If you want to sell, just sign on yourself. Plus, why in the hell couldn't you loan your physical copy to a friend? Or buy a used copy without being penalized?

This was f***ing horrible. It's mindblowing that so many people find excuses for this pigs***. There's nothing else to say about it.

That said, I'm not thrilled about Sony making the latest GT online only. It's pigs***, but at least it's not the whole damn console! I still have total control of my console. It shouldn't be any other way. EVER.

unless its MP only like MAG or SOCOM confrontation, theres no reason games should be online only. also the removal of "story" mode is inexcusable, and the reasoning is beyond *special*. people arent into cars anymore? gee, then why the f*** are people buying this game? why would the devs "waste" millions of dollars developing a game that "people arent into anymore"? as i said, f***ing *SPECIAL*. i have prologue on ps3 and even when it had online, i never went online, because i prefer to play alone (the rare times i was in the mood for a stupid racer).
but this? it only destroyed the small interest i had in sports. so il never buy it, even if it costs 2 dollars or less.
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
"dont call gay art gay" -some mod. then WHAT is it, and WHATS its name????

User Info: Mr_arizona

Mr_arizona
1 month ago#115
People defending the Xbox reveal are why they thought they could get away with that s*** in the 1st place.

Always online. Meaning those without Internet can't play. Yes you could do a phone check in but sounds like a chore for us not a benefit. Literally what benefit was there to us other than them getting data for locations and our activities? They're doing that now already but how was my user experience better for it that always was required?

Forced Kinect. It's an extra $100, must always be plugged in, and is drawing resources away from a console already weaker than the competition. Also the games for it suck and none of the gestures and voice commands work correctly. Again where's our benefit?

No disc sharing. Disc tied to account. Friends must buy the game. Lots of benefits to the gamer here.

Kept advertising this thing as multimedia hub during the reveal which would be great at a non gaming focused electronics expo but when you're known for gaming unveiling a gaming console 99% of your audience that 1st night was gamers. So to babble on about tv shows and how I can watch TV on my TV wasn't what gamers want to focus on. Especially when almost every other device in my house is a multimedia hub already.

Not to mention Microsoft had the writing on the wall weeks before the reveal. They could've changed but stuck to their guns. Even after the reveal stuck to it thinking their blind loyal buyers will be there. Thank God they were wrong. They didn't change until they saw those pre order numbers. Then suddenly all out problems were taken care of and they call it listening to the gamers. No they were listening to the sound of money flying over to the competition. We never heard of these supposed benefits for gamers for all the restrictions yet supposed to trust the company who basically told us you're not allows to do this this or this anymore and we want more than the competition.

And before you rip into me I'm an Xbox owner. I love them playing kiss ass lately and we get the Elite controller and Xbox One X out of it. Competition is great and love my console more the more it's trying to make me happy instead of me trying not keep it happy.
http://i.imgur.com/VBDN2Pi.gif
https://wwewritten.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/r80.gif

User Info: quincy2000a

quincy2000a
1 month ago#116
Mr_arizona posted...
People defending the Xbox reveal are why they thought they could get away with that xxxx in the 1st place.
Q: "I presume there will never be an Xbox One sold without it...Would that be correct?"
A: "Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP

User Info: AltiarLio

AltiarLio
1 month ago#117
I would've preferred to see the original vision come to life, fail or not it would've been unique.
GT & Steam: Tyron3L1o. PSN: TyroneLio.
I enjoy video games and shoes, mainly shoes.

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#118
AltiarLio posted...
I would've preferred to see the original vision come to life, fail or not it would've been unique.

I completely agree.

The irony is, of course, that the trolls on both sides of the argument battle over which of their so-similar-a-non-gamer-could-consider-them-interchangeable boxes is best, when in reality many console manufacturers in the past have legitimately tried to be new and interesting, and were shot down for it.

"What the hell is this?! Motion controls?! I don't want the Wii, I want an incrementally more powerful box like the one I had before! And bring out a new Zelda that's the same as the one before, just a tiny bit prettier."

"What the hell is this?! Kinect?! I don't want to control facets of the specifically-designed games with gestures or voice or even a sophisticated heat sensor that can literally read your heartbeat. I want you to kill this off before it's even been explored properly and give me an incrementally more powerful box like the one I had before."

"What the hell is this?! A hybrid Switch console?! I don't want to be able to play my home console games on the go, I want an incrementally more powerful box like the one I had before."

You see where I'm going with this? A lot of the arguments are how consoles stay relevant in a world where they're basically becoming just PCs for PC gamers who can't be bothered to upgrade their machine themselves. When consoles attempt to be unique, and actually relevant, stand-alone, nothing-else-like-it machines, angry gamers shoot them down without a second thought.

This is why I love exploring all sorts of genres, peripherals, consoles, delivery methods. I couldn't imagine being the guy who only plays 95+ rated, AAA-budget shooters on a single console, looking forward to next generation when I'd play my sequel to the 95+ rated, AAA-budget shooter on my incrementally more powerful-but-nothing-else successor box.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: medmuscle

medmuscle
1 month ago#119
SigmaLongshot posted...
AltiarLio posted...

I completely agree.

The irony is, of course, that the trolls on both sides of the argument battle over which of their so-similar-a-non-gamer-could-consider-them-interchangeable boxes is best, when in reality many console manufacturers in the past have legitimately tried to be new and interesting, and were shot down for it.

"What the hell is this?! Motion controls?! I don't want the Wii, I want an incrementally more powerful box like the one I had before! And bring out a new Zelda that's the same as the one before, just a tiny bit prettier."

"What the hell is this?! Kinect?! I don't want to control facets of the specifically-designed games with gestures or voice or even a sophisticated heat sensor that can literally read your heartbeat. I want you to kill this off before it's even been explored properly and give me an incrementally more powerful box like the one I had before."

"What the hell is this?! A hybrid Switch console?! I don't want to be able to play my home console games on the go, I want an incrementally more powerful box like the one I had before."

You see where I'm going with this? A lot of the arguments are how consoles stay relevant in a world where they're basically becoming just PCs for PC gamers who can't be bothered to upgrade their machine themselves. When consoles attempt to be unique, and actually relevant, stand-alone, nothing-else-like-it machines, angry gamers shoot them down without a second thought.

This is why I love exploring all sorts of genres, peripherals, consoles, delivery methods. I couldn't imagine being the guy who only plays 95+ rated, AAA-budget shooters on a single console, looking forward to next generation when I'd play my sequel to the 95+ rated, AAA-budget shooter on my incrementally more powerful-but-nothing-else successor box.

"What the hell is this? I can do far less with my console and give total control of it to a disgusting, greedy corporation? I am at the complete mercy of MS in the years to come that my entire collection will work AT ALL? And things that should be an unquestionable, inherent part of the console experience are taken out for my 'benefit'? Sign me up!"

The "benefits" could have been had without mandatory online, and without taking away the things that we have taken for granted since the Atari days.

No product is better by actually doing less.
There needs to be anabolic steroid law reform. Bodybuilding is NOT a criminal activity. Also, putting someone on ignore means you are a delicate little flower.

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
1 month ago#120
SigmaLongshot posted...
...it's okay when Sony's first-party development teams start implementing it?

No, it's not okay. Everybody always hates "always online", and that's why FGran Turismo is copping so much flack.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. We hate 2013's Xbox One for "always online", but...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived