Earthlock

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
1 month ago#1
So I just beat Saints Row IV and Gat Out of Hell, now I'm looking for something different to play, a change of pace if you will. Enter Earthlock. I don't know if it gets much different from Saints Row than that.

What am I getting into? Anything I should know or is it a pretty straight forward JRPG? How's the difficulty? Good story, gameplay and characters? How's the soundtrack? Music is important to me in an RPG
I post a lot using my phone. Most "typos" are probably a result of autocorrect

User Info: EnemyWithin88

EnemyWithin88
1 month ago#2
Much needed game. Definitely enjoyed my time with it. It's a category not well represented on the console
Play Slow Die Ignorant

User Info: K3NGL1SH

K3NGL1SH
1 month ago#3
EnemyWithin88 posted...
Much needed game. Definitely enjoyed my time with it. It's a category not well represented on the console

I played the first 15 minutes and had problems with dialogue, delivery, and combat system. Nothing felt smooth at all.

Mind you this was the first day we got it GfG.
Is it really worth sticking with? The whole intro sequence felt rushed. I love JRPGs and will give it another shot if it's really worth it.

User Info: SuperSuikoden

SuperSuikoden
1 month ago#4
- Some bosses are tough but I can say the difficulty is just right.
- The soundtrack is nice, especially the menu theme.
- Each character has two type of skills and limits.
- Good system and easy to understand.

Overall, I really liked the game. It is a good RPG and one of the few RPGs developed by the west that I enjoyed.
Your signature is automatically appended to the bottom of every post you make.

User Info: RikashiX

RikashiX
1 month ago#5
If you end up liking Earthlock, that BattleChasers or whatever that just came out is pretty similar and looks a bit better.
"Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito" - GT NihonjinRikugun
3DS FC: 3067-8390-9586

DigitalFury_
1 month ago#6
K3NGL1SH posted...
EnemyWithin88 posted...

I played the first 15 minutes and had problems with dialogue, delivery, and combat system. Nothing felt smooth at all.

Mind you this was the first day we got it GfG.
Is it really worth sticking with? The whole intro sequence felt rushed. I love JRPGs and will give it another shot if it's really worth it.

I'm planning on starting it this weekend. Don't know if I will get to it tonight because my daughter has a hockey game but I plan on putting some hours into it tomorrow morning, before everyone wakes up, for sure. I'll let you know what I think. I've been playing JRPGs pretty much my entire life so I'm a huge fan of the genre. Can't wait to give this a shot.

SuperSuikoden posted...
- Some bosses are tough but I can say the difficulty is just right.
- The soundtrack is nice, especially the menu theme.
- Each character has two type of skills and limits.
- Good system and easy to understand.

Overall, I really liked the game. It is a good RPG and one of the few RPGs developed by the west that I enjoyed.

Great, sounds like a real solid experience. I'm looking forward to it. What kind of game length am I looking at? I played the Dragon Fantasy Book games on the PS3 and those were like 5-6 hours each.

RikashiX posted...
If you end up liking Earthlock, that BattleChasers or whatever that just came out is pretty similar and looks a bit better.

Battlechasers, eh? I'm always in the market for good modern JRPGs, I'll definitely look it up.

DigitalFury_
1 month ago#7
I just looked it up. Great art style. I'm surprised to see it's almost 12gb, I wonder how long it is. I might wait to see if I can get it on sale around black Friday. Got a bit of a back log I want to get through. Looks great, though, thanks for the suggestion @RikashiX

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/battle-chasers-nightwar/bnvpw9nhwnm5#

"Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the console genre-greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world. Traditional turn-based combat with a unique overcharge mana system and incredible Battle Bursts. Explore an overworld peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes. Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero's unique dungeon skills to survive Build your adventuring party by choosing three of six available heroes from the famed Battle Chasers comic series, each with unique abilities, perks, items and dungeon skills Dive into the deep crafting system, using the unique ingredient-overloading system to create epic items! The best-selling comic book Battle Chasers was first released in the late 90s and quickly generated a passionate cult following. "

User Info: SuperSuikoden

SuperSuikoden
1 month ago#8
DigitalFury_ posted...
Great, sounds like a real solid experience. I'm looking forward to it. What kind of game length am I looking at? I played the Dragon Fantasy Book games on the PS3 and those were like 5-6 hours each.

If you do only the main story, it's about 12 hours but if you go for completion %100, it will double the time up to 30 hours.
Your signature is automatically appended to the bottom of every post you make.

User Info: iiiUsername

iiiUsername
1 month ago#9
DigitalFury_ posted...
I just looked it up. Great art style. I'm surprised to see it's almost 12gb, I wonder how long it is. I might wait to see if I can get it on sale around black Friday. Got a bit of a back log I want to get through. Looks great, though, thanks for the suggestion @RikashiX

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/battle-chasers-nightwar/bnvpw9nhwnm5#

"Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the console genre-greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world. Traditional turn-based combat with a unique overcharge mana system and incredible Battle Bursts. Explore an overworld peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes. Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero's unique dungeon skills to survive Build your adventuring party by choosing three of six available heroes from the famed Battle Chasers comic series, each with unique abilities, perks, items and dungeon skills Dive into the deep crafting system, using the unique ingredient-overloading system to create epic items! The best-selling comic book Battle Chasers was first released in the late 90s and quickly generated a passionate cult following. "

I’ve been playing battle chasers for the past week now and am loving it. It feels like the old school jrpg’s. Difficulty is good, music is meh lol. Overall it’s a great game. I’ve been taking my time and enjoying it. At about 10 hours in and only at the 2nd dungeon. The overworld is fun to explore. Lots of random stuff to be seen.
Gt: xBj

User Info: SammichTime

SammichTime
1 month ago#10
Earthlock is a very solid turnbased rpg that reminded me of the PS1 era rpgs. It is a bit short and linear in regards of story, but pretty fun gameplay and the team roster is interesting enough. It does require strategy on some battles and doesn't always rely on a simple attack, heal, attack pattern.

The only real complaints I had was a lack of side quests, there are a few but not enough imo, and more dialogue that could have refined the plot and world lore better.
We need more giant robots
GT: Barcnori

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived