Playing Resident Evil 4 for the First Time...Controls and Advice Requested

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Playing Resident Evil 4 for the First Time...Controls and Advice Requested

User Info: welder7

welder7
1 month ago#1
Despite being a massive fan of the survival horror genre and 3rd person shooters in general, I've somehow I've managed to live my entire life without playing what is widely considered one of the greatest entries the genre has ever offered. After seeing that RE4 was discounted to $8 on the Xbox marketplace, I decided to take the plunge.

The first thing I noticed is that the controls are...strange. Now, I'm not going to dismiss them as broken and outdated. I understand there is a learning curve to tank style controls, but man...I found myself fighting the controls more than the enemies.

Any advice on getting used to tank controls? Tips or tricks? Or any button remapping suggestions (if that's possible)? Also, aside from the controls if you could offer any words of advice for a first timer (spoiler free please) I would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance -

User Info: Tyrone13

Tyrone13
1 month ago#2
i couldnt get used to the tank controls, felt so unrealistic of a guy who is a trained killer at that point.

every tps should copy wildlands third person controls from now on D:

TC the best way i found was to use the elite control and setting action and item buttons as the triggers, u wont be able to dodge the s*** controls but it will help
GT/STEAM: Tyron3L1o PSN: TyroneLio

User Info: jmf1

jmf1
1 month ago#3
The first time playing RE4, whether or not you played the old games, will be a little bit of a learning curve. Actually, RE4 doesn't technically have the actual "tank controls" like the previous entries had; meaning, that the controls are actually considered easier in a way, by most people. I myself, have played since RE2 so I have no issue with any of the games. My suggestion, would be to save before the beginning fight in the village (not really a spoiler) at the beginning of the game. Practice here as many times as needed - it's hard to suggest what to change the controls to, without being you and knowing what would work well for you, but you can do that as well of course. Just practice here at the beginning until you get it. Also, make your goal be that you just are able to shot the enemies anywhere on their bodies - don't worry about doing headshots or shooting their legs, etc, that will come later for you. I promise you that if you stick with it a little more, it will pay off and you may find it to be one of your favorite games once you do. Let me know if that helped!
Currently playing: Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within 2.

User Info: jmf1

jmf1
1 month ago#4
Tyrone13 posted...
i couldnt get used to the tank controls, felt so unrealistic of a guy who is a trained killer at that point.

every tps should copy wildlands third person controls from now on D:

TC the best way i found was to use the elite control and setting action and item buttons as the triggers, u wont be able to dodge the s*** controls but it will help

TC, I would really try just practicing a little more before you mess with the controls too much, because no control you change to is going to change the actual gameplay itself. Some adjustments may help but once you get down the aiming and the action buttons (I.e. you round house kick them once you shot them in the leg via a command prompt), you will be set.
Currently playing: Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within 2.

User Info: Tyrone13

Tyrone13
1 month ago#5
jmf1 posted...
The first time playing RE4, whether or not you played the old games, will be a little bit of a learning curve. Actually, RE4 doesn't technically have the actual "tank controls" like the previous entries had; meaning, that the controls are actually considered easier in a way, by most people. I myself, have played since RE2 so I have no issue with any of the games. My suggestion, would be to save before the beginning fight in the village (not really a spoiler) at the beginning of the game. Practice here as many times as needed - it's hard to suggest what to change the controls to, without being you and knowing what would work well for you, but you can do that as well of course. Just practice here at the beginning until you get it. Also, make your goal be that you just are able to shot the enemies anywhere on their bodies - don't worry about doing headshots or shooting their legs, etc, that will come later for you. I promise you that if you stick with it a little more, it will pay off and you may find it to be one of your favorite games once you do. Let me know if that helped!

this is brilliant
GT/STEAM: Tyron3L1o PSN: TyroneLio

User Info: welder7

welder7
1 month ago#6
jmf1 posted...

Thank you for the solid advice. I will try this later when I get home from work and report back.

Interested to hear other people's suggestions as well.

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
1 month ago#7
I’m upset none of the HD versions have GameCube layouts...
DorkLink said I could borrow his signature so I did (see below):

User Info: Splooie

Splooie
1 month ago#8
The deadzone and stick sensitivity is god awful on this port.

I've gone through this version three times using the d-pad to aim because it's actually responsive.

User Info: HornedLion

HornedLion
1 month ago#9
Despite the controls, my advice would be to...

Stick with it.
"Wrong again, clown. I was warned for marking too many posts for trolling." - RonBurgundy929

User Info: Fredrick2003x

Fredrick2003x
1 month ago#10
The default controls are fine. Its just a third person shooter but you only have one stick, luckily the game is built around it so it doesn't really become an issue. We really didn't have anything to compare it to at the time. RE4 was a big influence on Gears of War which is now the go to template.
[X360] Halo: Reach (Bungie, 2010) - [XONE] Dirt Rally (Codemasters, 2015/2016) - [XONE] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom, 2005/2016)
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Playing Resident Evil 4 for the First Time...Controls and Advice Requested

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived