My X1X impressions on a 1080p screen

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. My X1X impressions on a 1080p screen

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
1 month ago#1
So it finally finished installing and even though I backed up my settings there's were still a few things I needed to tweak that didn't carry over. Make sure to re-enable your surround sound.
I'm not sure if there's still a few more settings I need to adjust though, as blacks are a bit darker (might be crushed) and the colours brighter (not using HDR)

Anyway, I thought today I'd give some impressions and take any request people have. Hopefully it will help 1080p users decide if this is something they need. First up:

Gears of War 3:

No idea why I made this the first game I'd try out on my new console, but I was in the middle of playing it on my original Xbone just before I grabbed a One X, so it was fresh in my mind.

Do I notic a difference in my 1080p screen?

Umm...yeah. It would be kind of hard not to. This honestly looks as good as most remasters this gen. a few low resolution textures aside the image is amazing. It's perfect. Almost zero alsising, perfect texture filtering, and a really crisp image. It's a night and day difference.

I'm only on the first chapter but so far I've only noticed a single frame drop right at the intro transition from cutscenes to gameplay. So here's hoping it stays rock solid.

If you have any questions or games you'd like me to try out then let me know. Oh, and the packaged controller is a nice step up from the second revision I had when they just introduced the new bumpers.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

da_StoOge
1 month ago#2
Dark Souls 1:

I'm having trouble accessing my cloud saves at the moment so I created a new character and just rushed to Blight Town.

Unfortunately I'm sorry to say that this game still has an uneven framerate. Even during the tutorial area it was dropping just as much and in the exact same places as on the Xbox One.

When I got to Blight Town I rushed past everyone and went down the water wheel, and it's here that you'll see the difference. I played this area last night on my Xbone and it ran in slow motion. Whereas on the X1X it's pretty damn smooth. It still dips here and there every few seconds, so it's probably hovering around 27-29FPS, but that's honestly about double what it was on the Xbone.

Which makes me wonder why it still drops during other areas like the intro.

User Info: Kakkeron

Kakkeron
1 month ago#3
Going to sound random, but could you test Star Wars - The Force Unleashed?

My girlfriend is going to start it, so just wondering if it’s worth her waiting to play on my X.

User Info: holden4ever

holden4ever
1 month ago#4
Can you try XB1 version of GTA V if you have it? Wondering if the frame rate is a bit more stable. Was playing the other night for the first time in months and it's still pretty bad.
https://i.imgur.com/wTUjLps.jpg - RIP Holden
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

da_StoOge
1 month ago#5
Unfortunately I don't have GTAV, but I do have The Force Unleashed somewhere. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment, so if I haven't packed it up yet I'll try installing it tonight.

User Info: holden4ever

holden4ever
1 month ago#6
da_StoOge posted...
Unfortunately I don't have GTAV, but I do have The Force Unleashed somewhere. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment, so if I haven't packed it up yet I'll try installing it tonight.

All good, I'll just try it on Thursday.
https://i.imgur.com/wTUjLps.jpg - RIP Holden
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

User Info: vashkey

vashkey
1 month ago#7
I played GTA IV, Assassins Creed III and Bioshock Infinite which all had unlocked frame rates and thry ran excellent on X.

Halo 3, Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge all look amazing enhanced.

Rime now runs decently.

Slime Rancher runs great and now more screen tearing.

Halo 5, Overwatch and Titanfall 2 look much cleaner now.

Load times for Halo 5, GTA IV, Halo 3 and MCC seem WAY faster

As a 1080p user this has been experience. Will try more later.

da_StoOge
1 month ago#8
holden4ever posted...
da_StoOge posted...

All good, I'll just try it on Thursday.

Sorry. I just went through my collection and I've honestly kept out every single 360 game I own except Force Unleashed 1 and 2, Far Cry 3 and Bioshock.

If it's any help the texture filtering the console adds is making a huge difference in some games. I just started Halo 2 Anniversary and it's either running at 1080p now or tge texture filtering is just amazing.

But Halo MCC was the game I bought the console for and so far it's worth every penny.

I immediately went to a stress test point on Halo 3 at the beginning of the level The Covenant and the game is now lock solid, 100%, smooth as butter 60FPS.
The texture filtering also adds a ton of detail to the picture. The ground and water is transformed from a blurry mess to a crisp texture.

So good. On to Halo 2.
(message deleted)

da_StoOge
1 month ago#10
KoTOR:

Far crisper at 4k (except 4:3) and the texture filtering makes a huge difference. Looks great.
The framerate still doesn't hold 60 though. It's better, but not great.

Tomb Raider:

4k mode: A huge improvement in input lag compared to the PS4 and Xbone versions. There's still a bit, but it's not too bad.

4K Enriched mode: This mode adds effects on top of the 4k mode so it looks even (albeit slightly) better. It also adds input lag though. For that reason I'll skip it.

High Framerate Mode: This is 1080p or slightly higher but targeting 60FPS. Whatever resolution it is it's the perfect way to see the benefits of 4k supersampling on a 1080p screen, as it looks terrible compared to the 4k mode.
I tested it in Geothernal Valley in the rain at night, and it doesn't hold 60FPS. So IMO it's not worth it unless you have a freesync monitor.

Arkham Origins:

Even with texture filtering it's not much of an improvement. The sides of buildings and Batman's cape look better, but because everything is covered in an almost textureless snow it doesn't see much benefit.

The Witcher 3 (no patch):

It looks as crisp as the PS4 version now but the ground textures are much better thanks to improved filtering. Menu lag seems to be gone, but I tested on a new save file without much in the way of gear.
Map screen still takes a second to open but it might be faster. I'll compare it to the PS4 version later.

Halo 3 BC:

Pointless at 1080p. It doesn't look as good as Gears 3, it doesn't look as good as Halo 3 in the MCC, and it doesn't have the system wide texture filtering everything else does. So they must be able to lower the quality of anisotropic filtering in updates.
Just play this at a locked 60FPS in the MCC with the texture filtering.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. My X1X impressions on a 1080p screen

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived