was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

User Info: DvoloS88

DvoloS88
2 months ago#111
InhumaneRaider posted...
No and I'm going to get hate for this; but for some reason, I don't understand the hype and love with the Halo series. It's just f***ing boring and even when Halo 2 dropped and all my friends told me to play it, it was just boring and I didn't see the appeal.

Back then there was nothing like it on consoles. Ps2 had nothing to compete with it, or ps3 for that matter.
"Let The Boy Watch"

User Info: Landonio

Landonio
2 months ago#112
DvoloS88 posted...
For it's time yes, there was nothing like it in that console generation. Halo ce is the game that made me choose xbox and stay with xbox. Also started my love for first person shooters.

For all time. CE is timeless.
Roll Tide.
#1 Alabama Crimson Tide 11-0 (7-0)

User Info: Pizzatarian

Pizzatarian
2 months ago#113
Halo: CE was amazing. I remember getting that game, and having countless hours of fun. It didn't matter the game mode either. Whether I was playing through the campaign by myself, split-screen with a friend, or 4 player versus.

At that time, that game felt like it had everything to me; a great / interesting story, amazing settings / atmosphere, compelling soundtrack. To top it off, the gameplay was pretty slick too. The only thing that felt off was driving the Warthog, which ended up being loads of fun instead of frustrating.

It was great fun. Whether it was running around shooting enemies and throwing grenades, trying to get a Warthog into any area possible with a gunner on the back, or using the Scorpion tank as a ramp to jump the Ghost onto the base in Blood Gulch.

With that said, going back to the game, it definitely feels dated. Don't get me wrong, I think the game is still pretty solid and holds up well for the most part. All I'm saying here is that the inability to run makes the game feel slow at times.

In closing, I will leave people with this video for nostalgic purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0
"When you work with your hands you'll never be rich but you'll never go hungry." SR3

User Info: dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2
2 months ago#114
Pizzatarian posted...
Halo: CE was amazing. I remember getting that game, and having countless hours of fun. It didn't matter the game mode either. Whether I was playing through the campaign by myself, split-screen with a friend, or 4 player versus.

At that time, that game felt like it had everything to me; a great / interesting story, amazing settings / atmosphere, compelling soundtrack. To top it off, the gameplay was pretty slick too. The only thing that felt off was driving the Warthog, which ended up being loads of fun instead of frustrating.

It was great fun. Whether it was running around shooting enemies and throwing grenades, trying to get a Warthog into any area possible with a gunner on the back, or using the Scorpion tank as a ramp to jump the Ghost onto the base in Blood Gulch.

With that said, going back to the game, it definitely feels dated. Don't get me wrong, I think the game is still pretty solid and holds up well for the most part. All I'm saying here is that the inability to run makes the game feel slow at times.

In closing, I will leave people with this video for nostalgic purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

Ahh good times, man I spent hours stuffing around with that stuff, awesome memories. If you played around with it you really appreciated the robustness of the game.
The X is a love letter to the core gamer - DF Xbox X review

User Info: jgatlabayan

jgatlabayan
2 months ago#115
yes
i7 7700k / GTX 1080ti / Asrock Z270 Extreme4 / 16gb DDR4 3200 / 1TB SSD / 6TB HD / BenQ XL2420T 120hz /x2 Chimei 24EH 60hz/ NZXT Phantom / Noctua NH-D14

User Info: The_DOAM

The_DOAM
2 months ago#116
Doom
Goldeneye 64
Halo

Those are the three major hits in the FPS genre

Doom started things off while Goldeneye opened the genre to consoles and expanded on how you aim and Halo added the whole energy shield and two weapon deal.z

Halo 1 remains the last one though as the market is still cloning that title games with no reason whatsoever are still using energy shields and two weapon limits. Though I guess some are swearing by gyro assisted aiming that's a hardware thing and not a software thing so much harder to change the industry.
Ignorance is Bliss...

User Info: mike468

mike468
2 months ago#117
Halo was great, but let's be honest the game/series didn't reach it's potential until Halo 2.

Yeah it's great Halo: CE supported 16 player Multiplayer, but honestly who actually had 16 people, 4x consoles, 4x TVs and 4x copies of the game kicking around to do local multi player to take full advantage of the game's PvP?
Triggered fanboys,make the internet go round. In the most disgusting way

User Info: fon1988

fon1988
2 months ago#118
Raiden243 posted...
Yes
NNID/Gamer Tag: PoisonShroom
Greatest line in a NES game ever: "Kill all babies" from Exodus.

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
2 months ago#119
mike468 posted...
Halo was great, but let's be honest the game/series didn't reach it's potential until Halo 2.

Yeah it's great Halo: CE supported 16 player Multiplayer, but honestly who actually had 16 people, 4x consoles, 4x TVs and 4x copies of the game kicking around to do local multi player to take full advantage of the game's PvP?

A lot of places. I lived in a town of ~5000 people and there were multiple weekly tournaments when Halo came out

User Info: ChiefStabaHoe

ChiefStabaHoe
2 months ago#120
Landonio posted...
DvoloS88 posted...
For it's time yes, there was nothing like it in that console generation. Halo ce is the game that made me choose xbox and stay with xbox. Also started my love for first person shooters.

For all time. CE is timeless.
Single player elitist- triggered since 2014
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived