was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

User Info: Alnilam81

Alnilam81
3 weeks ago#31
A flawed one (due to The Library being the worst), but yeah I think so, it was amazing and hugely influential.

I had no real interest in the Xbox at the time, then I played co-op Halo at a friend of a friend’s and was completely blown away. I bought my first Xbox the next day.

User Info: newsuperdude

newsuperdude
3 weeks ago#32
Alnilam81 posted...
A flawed one (due to The Library being the worst), but yeah I think so, it was amazing and hugely influential.

I had no real interest in the Xbox at the time, then I played co-op Halo at a friend of a friend’s and was completely blown away. I bought my first Xbox the next day.

It's funny how everyone always complains about the Library, but that's one of the most memorable levels of that game for me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/superdude-2.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/Speeddemon1414/Set5/superdude10294.jpg

User Info: DynamicD

DynamicD
3 weeks ago#33
Yeah but not knack 2's level of masterpiece.
We can be heroes, just for one day. You can't save the world alone.
Official Theme Song #18: Heroes (Gang of Youths Cover)

User Info: codman4

codman4
3 weeks ago#34
Yes. At the time it was a 10/10 game, but it would be a 7/10 if released today. Some aspects of the game haven't aged perfectly.

I've been playing through the MCC and Halo 2 is superior in every way, despite thinking it was a step back when I originally played it. The original just had such a bigger impact.

User Info: Splooie

Splooie
3 weeks ago#35
Damn right it was and still is.
The fact that it was on a console was mind blowing and still is. Only way people will say otherwise is if they didn't play it at the time or were still suckling mom's teet and Halo 4 was their first halo.

User Info: 3HP

3HP
3 weeks ago#36
IMO, no. It was incredibly influential but not a masterpiece by any stretch.

User Info: superwesker

superwesker
3 weeks ago#37
Yep.
Streets of rage remake is hands down the greatest game ever made..GT: crazydaygo

User Info: Orange_Apples

Orange_Apples
3 weeks ago#38
It is definitely a game that defined an era. It changed LAN parties from one of those nerd things to something everyone did. We would not be in our current state of gaming without it. We might have still gotten to a level of online connectivity, but Halo is what really blew the whole thing up.

IIRC Halo wasn't even the first console game to do LAN play or online play, but it made those things normal.

As a game it is definitely worth remembering. I remember moments from the first time I played through the campaign. All I knew of the game before I jumped into the campaign was the multiplayer so I had the controls down. I'm not good at shooters, but I can get through them on Normal.

Halo: CE has few flaws and the flaws it does have are either a symptom of the times or are not worth noting.

Does it stand up today? It is perfectly playable, but the gameplay was improved in later entries.
Steam, Origin, PSN, NNID: Orange_Apples787, XBL: orangeapples787, 3DS FC: 2578-3277-9760
"They'll pay for this." - Mickey Mouse

User Info: caliguy1971

caliguy1971
3 weeks ago#39
Yes, absolutely
Check it out: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.php?board=2000325
"Xbox One is the console for your 4K screen." source: DF

User Info: TreGooda

TreGooda
3 weeks ago#40
newsuperdude posted...
seiki posted...
?? was 2 years old when it released

Stop making people in their 20s feel old.

I was in college when it released.
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived