was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

User Info: Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen
4 weeks ago#41
Yes, it is.

User Info: Rings

Rings
4 weeks ago#42
It blew my mind when I first played it around launch.

It truly revolutionized the FPS genre.
Xbox One S (Blue Limited Edition)
Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40gHz / 16GB RAM / GeForce GTX 960

User Info: dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2
4 weeks ago#43
ImmortalityV posted...
Yeah, I played through the campaign for the first time ever on my one s and it was a blast other than the warthog controls on the last mission but I guess beating the last mission just felt so much more epic once you conquer it.

The key to the warthog is to only watch the little blue arrow, point and shoot, ignore what the hog is actually doing.
The X is a love letter to the core gamer - DF Xbox X review

User Info: GTAcrazy

GTAcrazy
4 weeks ago#44
Yes.
I've beat it more times than I can remember and still play it to this day once it a while.
Can't say that about many games...
GamerTag: Major Sousa

User Info: Landonio

Landonio
4 weeks ago#45
DJ break beats posted...
Raiden243 posted...
Yes
Roll Tide.
#1 Alabama Crimson Tide 10-0 (7-0)

User Info: zombody

zombody
4 weeks ago#46
It was genre defining and changed the course of fps until Modern Warfare. What I personally love about halo 1 is that it still has some of that old school 90's fps dodging skill in it. They totally removed that from 2 onward.
This George Carlin quote sums up Meta Critic..."Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

User Info: 3HP

3HP
4 weeks ago#47
zombody posted...
It was genre defining and changed the course of fps until Modern Warfare. What I personally love about halo 1 is that it still has some of that old school 90's fps dodging skill in it. They totally removed that from 2 onward.

When tournament players with pistols started owning devs who had rocket launchers you knew the skill ceiling was about to get lowered big time.

User Info: dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2
4 weeks ago#48
The biggest difference with H1 is that the enemy had no long range weapons. You could always get up close and personal skirmishes.
The X is a love letter to the core gamer - DF Xbox X review

User Info: F0cu5

F0cu5
4 weeks ago#49
Yes it was a masterpiece IMO. It was so much better than every other shooter on consoles at the time and it wasn't even close. It did so many things right the first time and felt a whole generation ahead of games in the same generation. Graphics, art style, sound, gameplay, control, animation fluidity, feature set, campaign quality, story, atmosphere, all top notch. Best game in the franchise for me still, and I think it has aged fine. It has a sense of wonder that H2 and H3 didn't match.
Trying risks failure; refraining guarantees it

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
4 weeks ago#50
F0cu5 posted...
Yes it was a masterpiece IMO. It was so much better than every other shooter on consoles at the time and it wasn't even close. It did so many things right the first time and felt a whole generation ahead of games in the same generation. Graphics, art style, sound, gameplay, control, animation fluidity, feature set, campaign quality, story, atmosphere, all top notch. Best game in the franchise for me still, and I think it has aged fine. It has a sense of wonder that H2 and H3 didn't match.

Pretty much. After CE the level design became far more straight forward and linear until Halo Reach.

Nothing in the series comes close to Assault on The Control Room and The Silent Cartographer, either. The levels had a sense of scale and place that they haven't captured since. Looking up at a bridge hundreds of feet in the air and knowing you'd get to fight your way across it eventually was, and is, still pretty impressive.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. was Halo 1 a masterpiece?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived