Are "pay to win" microtransactions good for the gaming industry?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Are "pay to win" microtransactions good for the gaming industry?

User Info: lunaticcore

lunaticcore
3 weeks ago#41
You don't have to be guaranteed a win every match for it to be pay to win. It is just about tipping the scales in your favor if your a payer instead of a grinder.
Endless Metroid month.. Samus Returns HYPE... Come watch us playthrough Super Metroid, Zero Mission, AM2R and Metroid Fusion. http://bit.ly/2vlfYbS

User Info: simonbelmont2

simonbelmont2
3 weeks ago#42
I always thought "pay to win" was paying to gain an advantage. It doesn't mean the player is guaranteed a win but it does offer them an advantage. That can screw with the balance in a game.

The player still pays for an advantage regardless of whether they actually win or not.
I love the friends I've gathered together on this thin raft.

User Info: Briareos__H

Briareos__H
3 weeks ago#43
It would be interesting to see a developer come out and be very open with some stats about DLC. Like, we sold 2,000,000 copies of the game across physical and digital. But we sold just 50,000 copies of the big DLC add-on we took a lot of time making and sold for $20. In the meantime we sold 10,000,000 loot boxes at $0.79 a pop and 5,000,000 cosmetic hats at $1 a time, neither of which took us any real effort. So now you see why we've taken the route we have for our next game.

Since no-one seems to release any of this info it leaves everyone guessing. And complaining.

User Info: Babbit55

Babbit55
3 weeks ago#44
Briareos__H posted...
It would be interesting to see a developer come out and be very open with some stats about DLC. Like, we sold 2,000,000 copies of the game across physical and digital. But we sold just 50,000 copies of the big DLC add-on we took a lot of time making and sold for $20. In the meantime we sold 10,000,000 loot boxes at $0.79 a pop and 5,000,000 cosmetic hats at $1 a time, neither of which took us any real effort. So now you see why we've taken the route we have for our next game.

Since no-one seems to release any of this info it leaves everyone guessing. And complaining.

Let me put this into context for you. The free to play market wouldn't be growing like it is if it didn't make a lot of money, and if these loot boxes didn't rake in the profits they wouldn't become the staple of pretty much every game coming out.
GT:- Babbit55
PC - i5 4670k, 16g ram, RX 480, 2tb hybrid drive.

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
3 weeks ago#45
lunaticcore posted...
GinsuVictim posted...
lunaticcore posted...
GinsuVictim posted...
Babbit55 posted...
GinsuVictim posted...
Babbit55 posted...
Call of Duty's significantly more powerful guns you only get by paying IS pay to win, and is bad for the game.

Can you name any?

https://nowloading.co/p/cod-infinite-warfare-pay-to-win-supply-drops/4140664

Unlockable for free by playing the game. Also, you can't just buy the guns. You can buy a chance at getting them, same as those who earn them free.

It's still pay to win if you can toss money at the game to get an advantage. Doesn't matter if you can still earn then in game with time.

You could spend $10,000 and still never unlock the s*** you want. NOT pay-to-win.

It's not about getting specific content. It is about getting better content faster by buying it than by earning it. You are skipping playing the game by buying the rewards.

But you can get duplicate after duplicate and never get what you actually wanted. Throwing a ton of money at it doesn't mean you'll get everything.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Are "pay to win" microtransactions good for the gaming industry?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived