help with surround sound system and Xbox one x...thoughts

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. help with surround sound system and Xbox one x...thoughts

User Info: platypus6c

platypus6c
3 weeks ago#1
I have a 7 speaker onkyo surround system (7 speakers plus a sub woofer)

On the old xbox one... I had to set it to stereo to get sound, if I put 5.1 or 7.1 I wouldn't get sound. Sometimes would, but Netflix especially wouldn't sound..only music no voices.

I now have an xbox one x... 7.1 works and so does 5.1 .. Soi set it to 7.1 sound.. when I loaded gears 4, I heard music and voices, but one character wouldn't sound..was very weird all his lines were silent. I changed to 5.1 everything was the same and this time I could barely hear that character. I changed it to stereo and I heard everything...

What settings should I use?? Do I change the settings on the system or in the game options.. Also my sound system is connected to TV through optical cable.

What/how should I set up
(message deleted)

User Info: blaze120683

blaze120683
3 weeks ago#3
Get rid of the optical to your TV most TVs can’t pass Dolby through it hook the optical to your xbox
Insults are the last resort of insecure people with a crumbling position trying to appear confident

User Info: Hucast9

Hucast9
3 weeks ago#4
platypus6c posted...
I have a 7 speaker onkyo surround system (7 speakers plus a sub woofer)

On the old xbox one... I had to set it to stereo to get sound, if I put 5.1 or 7.1 I wouldn't get sound. Sometimes would, but Netflix especially wouldn't sound..only music no voices.

I now have an xbox one x... 7.1 works and so does 5.1 .. Soi set it to 7.1 sound.. when I loaded gears 4, I heard music and voices, but one character wouldn't sound..was very weird all his lines were silent. I changed to 5.1 everything was the same and this time I could barely hear that character. I changed it to stereo and I heard everything...

What settings should I use?? Do I change the settings on the system or in the game options.. Also my sound system is connected to TV through optical cable.

What/how should I set up

First of all, you need to check the individual settings for each speaker. If you went through the usual setup process with the mic that comes with the home theater receiever, you need to go back and change the settings. There is a distance setting and a volume setting for each speaker. Check if you have the right settings. I have all my speakers set to around 7 feet away from me, and the volume or "level" are all even at +7. The setup mic that usually comes with home theater receivers is a joke, and you shouldn't use it because it will make all these values uneven.

Secondly, try getting into the receiver's settings once again. There is a setting called audio output "Tv+Amp" or "Amp". Try switching it to "Amp" instead of "TV+Amp". Sometimes "Tv+Amp" confuses the audio. This setting may be under the hdmi settings on the receiver. Just note that you will no longer receive audio to the tv speakers once it's set to "Amp", but you can change it back anytime you want. Personally I have mine set to "TV+Amp" because I like Youtube through the tv speakers. I have to set it to "Amp" every time I use my PS4, because with my setup the PS4 has issues where I only get stereo sound if I use "Tv+Amp". So try to see if "Amp" resolves your issue.

Third, make sure all the speakers are working properly. There should be an option in the home theater receiver's settings which may be called "test tone". When you set this to "on" it will send a sound to each speaker for a few seconds to test if they are receiving audio. The noise should sound like a tv channel with nothing on it except static.

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
3 weeks ago#5
Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus, so your system would have to support Dolby Digital Plus to get Netflix in surround sound.
And I want the brightest, I want fluorescence every day and night for the rest of my life - RIP Chuck Mosley

User Info: platypus6c

platypus6c
3 weeks ago#6
My system supports dolby, but what audio settings so I put my console on and what Netflix audio setting

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
3 weeks ago#7
Dolby Digital Plus. Not Dolby. Different.
And I want the brightest, I want fluorescence every day and night for the rest of my life - RIP Chuck Mosley

User Info: NSGraphite

NSGraphite
3 weeks ago#8
Xbox to receiver. Receiver to tv. If your reciever doesn't do HDMI, go HDMI from Xbox to TV. And optical from Xbox to reciever. Make sure to tell your Xbox to output sound from the optical.
My last signature got erased, so I put this here instead.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. help with surround sound system and Xbox one x...thoughts

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived