4k and hdr question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. 4k and hdr question

User Info: Weezepuppy

Weezepuppy
3 weeks ago#1
Getting a 4k set from tcl that has hdr but supposedly the hdr isn't great on it. Do you have to turn on 4k once I hook the X up to the tv? Or is it automatic. And is hdr treated the same way? Can I turn this on and off? Sorry if these are stupid questions. It's new to me.

User Info: NakedSnake1986

NakedSnake1986
3 weeks ago#2
Is it the cheap S model? From my understanding the set can receive the HDR signal but the set itself doesn't have the hardware to display it so it displays a "fake" HDR look.

User Info: Weezepuppy

Weezepuppy
3 weeks ago#3
Nah I bought the X but I'm upgrading my tv this weekend to a 4k. Just wasn't sure if the system automatically detects 4k and shows it. Same with hdr.

User Info: robdisco

robdisco
3 weeks ago#4
Weezepuppy posted...
Nah I bought the X but I'm upgrading my tv this weekend to a 4k. Just wasn't sure if the system automatically detects 4k and shows it. Same with hdr.

He was referring to the TV model.

The Xbox should detect the 4K and HDR as long as the set supports it. Just make sure to use the correct HDMI port on the TV.
I prefer to just play video games rather than worry about which platform/s they release on or how many pixels are on the screen.

User Info: MetalZoic

MetalZoic
3 weeks ago#5
Weezepuppy posted...

He was asking if you got the S model of the TV, not the Xbox.
You'll need to setup your Xbox's video options just like you normally would (resolution, color depth). And obviously you'll also need to tune the TVs settings as well. If it does do HDR you might have to activate it per HDMI port in the TV's settings. Seems a lot of people miss that bit, so I'd imagine there are a ton of people with the X that don't even know they have HDR turned off on the TV. Read your manual.

User Info: DJ break beats

DJ break beats
3 weeks ago#6
MetalZoic posted...
Weezepuppy posted...

He was asking if you got the S model of the TV, not the Xbox.
You'll need to setup your Xbox's video options just like you normally would (resolution, color depth). And obviously you'll also need to tune the TVs settings as well. If it does do HDR you might have to activate it per HDMI port in the TV's settings. Seems a lot of people miss that bit, so I'd imagine there are a ton of people with the X that don't even know they have HDR turned off on the TV. Read your manual.

Bolded part is the best advice yet. That can be applied to all things you use in life.
"Are you going to bark all day, little doggie, or are you going to bite?" - Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. 4k and hdr question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived