Will we see another Kinect like device for the next Xbox?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Will we see another Kinect like device for the next Xbox?

User Info: Vin_land

Vin_land
1 month ago#1
http://www.gamesradar.com/goodbye-kinect-microsoft-officially-ends-manufacturing-for-the-xbox-one-sensor/

We all know that the Kinect is officially dead but is this really the end? Would you like to see a new Kinect like device for the next Xbox? Better Kinect games? Do you think voice commands will be built into the system without the need for the camera? MS dumped a ton of money into the Kinect so it must hurt to have it been so poorly received. Maybe they can learn from their mistakes and retool Kinect for the next console generation.

IMO they will probably ditch it and go to VR like everyone else.

User Info: rawrs

rawrs
1 month ago#2
Vin_land posted...
http://www.gamesradar.com/goodbye-kinect-microsoft-officially-ends-manufacturing-for-the-xbox-one-sensor/

We all know that the Kinect is officially dead but is this really the end? Would you like to see a new Kinect like device for the next Xbox? Better Kinect games? Do you think voice commands will be built into the system without the need for the camera? MS dumped a ton of money into the Kinect so it must hurt to have it been so poorly received. Maybe they can learn from their mistakes and retool Kinect for the next console generation.

Focus on gaming, focus on their platform, and focus on exclusives. I don’t subscribe to the notion that VR is the future. It’s a niche market at best.

As for Kinect. Eh Microsoft is better off fleshing out Cortana more and maybe having it have some minor but fun uses in games.

User Info: Discharged19DCS

Discharged19DCS
1 month ago#3
Considering how s***ty PSVR is, I hope MS treat VR more like Xbox One X than PS4 Pro.

User Info: Vin_land

Vin_land
1 month ago#4
rawrs posted...
Vin_land posted...

Focus on gaming, focus on their platform, and focus on exclusives. I don’t subscribe to the notion that VR is the future. It’s a niche market at best.

As for Kinect. Eh Microsoft is better off fleshing out Cortana more and maybe having it have some minor but fun uses in games.

They will definitely move into VR either this gen or next.

User Info: Critter_crew

Critter_crew
1 month ago#5
MS are one of the driving forces behind AR and mixed reality devices, support for which is built natively into Windows 10. So an AR device for Xbox in the future is certainly a possibility.

User Info: rawrs

rawrs
1 month ago#6
Vin_land posted...
rawrs posted...
Vin_land posted...

They will definitely move into VR either this gen or next.

Waste of time imo. Focus on their core market and try to win back the broad appeal.

I’d argue they won’t becasue they have ran gimmecks like Kinect in the past. They took risks with thinking they knew how the future of gaming was going to be before the launch of the Xbox One and they suffered because of it.

Microsoft probably wants to play safe and stop taking massive risks, they focused purely on power and gaming with the Xbox One X and it’s been met with open arms so far and praised, while it’s not dethroning the PS4 anytime soon it was a smart but safe move and paid off. I expect more of that in the future, not risky motion controls or Kinect, but power and community.

User Info: agentspoon

agentspoon
1 month ago#7
Vin_land posted...

https://imgur.com/e2iGlcV
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!

User Info: GENERALJA0

GENERALJA0
1 month ago#8
I called it when the Kinect came out that it was just a gimmick that eventually would die once Microsoft realizes only people who buy into that stuff is casuals and won't sell enough to be worth it.

And the same will happen with VR and any other gimmick they try to make.

They need to stick to consoles and focus on improving the quality of games.
^^^ Above statements are my opinions and mine alone...

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
1 month ago#9
There's no way in hell we're going to see another Kinect. But if this topic is a follow up to your VR topic, they are nothing alike IMO. While I've tried the PSVR out at a friends place and I do see its potential, it's just not something I'm eager to go out and buy. For every decent title, there's a dozen glorified tech demos. I don't even think my friend has touched his in months.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.
Go Leafs Go!!!

User Info: Iceman83

Iceman83
1 month ago#10
If they want to maintain 100% backwards compatibility like they want, it will work with the current Kinect via the adapter.
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Will we see another Kinect like device for the next Xbox?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived