Why is there a limit on changing 'Home' consoles

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Why is there a limit on changing 'Home' consoles

User Info: ShELbY_GT500

ShELbY_GT500
1 month ago#1
The limit is 5, but why, and is it only 5 for this current generation?

If I’m to sell my OG Xbox, would I need to disable that as my home console? More than likely going to keep it around as a spare in case my X dies on me, but since I’m the only user does it really matter to have any consoles as the home console?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man- The Dude

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#2
To limit game sharing abuse mate. Without it hypothetically the whole town could get stuck in to your digital-only library.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: D_FENS3

D_FENS3
1 month ago#3
The reason of limiting "home consoles" is for the game sharing feature. Otherwise you could just share digital purchases to every one you know.
If you were to sell your Xbox, delete all memory. Factory reset to safe guard your personal info.
You can set A TRUSTED friend or family member as home console. To share digital purchases with.
It is nice to have A 2nd Xbox. When friends stop over to game with. They can sign in their account and have A LAN party.
Everyone in this room is dumber for having read this. I am awarded zero points and may God have mercy on my soul.
(XBL: D FENS3) (PSN: TG-D_FENS3)

ShELbY_GT500
1 month ago#4
SigmaLongshot posted...
To limit game sharing abuse mate. Without it hypothetically the whole town could get stuck in to your digital-only library.

But can’t you only have 1 home console at one time?

User Info: Imn0tleB0W5ki

Imn0tleB0W5ki
1 month ago#5
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
is it only 5 for this current generation?

it's 5 per year. this page should answer any questions you have. if you need clarification feel free to ask. aloha
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/my-home-xbox

Can I change my home Xbox console to a different console?
You can change which console is your home Xbox up to five times during a one-year period. This period works on a rolling basis, starting the moment you change your home Xbox for the first time. If you reach your limit of home console changes for the year, you’ll get a message letting you know the next available date you can change it.
If you want to party like a rock star, you gotta work like a roadie

User Info: mcnichoj

mcnichoj
1 month ago#6
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

But can’t you only have 1 home console at one time?
Home console just means a box where that profiles digital game licenses are stored so anyone on that box can use them. The idea would be for like a family. Dad/mom has their account set to Home on the living room Xbox so the kids can use the parents digital games and content, then the parent can freely go play on any other system in their house or wherever and also play their stuff.
That is the intended use.
Obviously people figured out though that instead of using it on your kids and a second console in your house, you can do it with a friend down the street.
Microsoft themselves partially encourage this as they get more money from digital sales and that's one less copy that can end up in a used game bin.
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj | Switch FC: Ask
"Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy."

ShELbY_GT500
1 month ago#7
Thanks for the info guys. That clears it up for me

User Info: Deathpossesion

Deathpossesion
1 month ago#8
Also you can call Microsoft and ask for a reset I've done it twice before. Granted u wouldn't abuse that service but it's there.
In the game of life it's a good idea to have a few early losses, which relieves you of the pressure of trying to maintain an undefeated season.GT: Sm0oth Legacy

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#9
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
Thanks for the info guys. That clears it up for me

No worries whatsoever. Buying digitally and game sharing has been a godsend this generation with Xbox One. My wife and I generally like playing co-op games together and not many of them happen to be split-screen, so knowing that I can just buy it digitally once and we both get a copy is a no-brainer - much less of a cash drain than having to buy two separate discs just to play system link.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: holden4ever

holden4ever
1 month ago#10
SigmaLongshot posted...
Buying digitally and game sharing has been a godsend this generation with Xbox One.

Before this gen I was 100% physical. Now it depends on the game but most purchases are digital. I'll still buy games physical but only used games. On PS4 I buy physical only.
https://i.imgur.com/wTUjLps.jpg - RIP Holden
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Why is there a limit on changing 'Home' consoles

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived