Will The Next Generation Bring Us New Techniques In Visuals / Animation / Games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Will The Next Generation Bring Us New Techniques In Visuals / Animation / Games?

User Info: bluefantasy

bluefantasy
1 month ago#11
we have reached the point of diminishing returns
companies need to focus on innovate gameplay. Sadly most games this gen are just rehashes and for next year. Its just stagnation.

User Info: Apalachicola

Apalachicola
1 month ago#12
I want natural language voice processing. The Kinect was just starting to explore it, allowing you to call audibles and limited voice commands in NBA2K. When I am on my couch in 2027, playing Elder Scrolls VII want to walk into a village and be able to talk to everyone.

Me: Sup. I’m looking for the crown of Molag Baal. Y’all know anything about that?
Innkeeper: Well, Professor Taryn is out by the old ruins. Maybe he could tell you more. Let me mark it on your map
*Your map has been updated.*
Me: Coolville. Now give me all the gold and food in the house and I won’t cut your head off.
Innkeeper: GUARDS!

Likewise, I want to be able to smack talk in sports games. And be thrown out for it by the refs.
Auto correct makes me look like a d***** fool. I'm not really this stupid.

User Info: stringfellowhwk

stringfellowhwk
1 month ago#13
Apalachicola posted...
I want natural language voice processing. The Kinect was just starting to explore it, allowing you to call audibles and limited voice commands in NBA2K. When I am on my couch in 2027, playing Elder Scrolls VII want to walk into a village and be able to talk to everyone.

Me: Sup. I’m looking for the crown of Molag Baal. Y’all know anything about that?
Innkeeper: Well, Professor Taryn is out by the old ruins. Maybe he could tell you more. Let me mark it on your map
*Your map has been updated.*
Me: Coolville. Now give me all the gold and food in the house and I won’t cut your head off.
Innkeeper: GUARDS!

Likewise, I want to be able to smack talk in sports games. And be thrown out for it by the refs.

This is something I have been thinking about for a long time. There are so many amazing things that can be done with voice. :)
Without Games We All Lose

User Info: c13rocks

c13rocks
1 month ago#14
bluefantasy posted...
companies need to focus on innovate gameplay. Sadly most games this gen are just rehashes and for next year. Its just stagnation.

Yep, I wish the devs would focus on what matters the most. They have a game with so so gameplay and story, but Dem graphics. I would say even with the 360 i was content woth how games started to look at the end of its life. Do we really need 4k for the game to be good? I hope they can calm down on trying to squueze the graphics and spend time on imo what matters more. Innovative games, gameplay, story, etc

User Info: cymanx

cymanx
1 month ago#15
It will be impossible to find a resolution that far beyond 4K. The human eye has limitations where graphics and resolution is concerned. So something CAN be more advanced, but we'd never be able to know the difference.

The direction gaming will go IMO is either a dedicated true virtual reality system or a hybrid system, like the Nintendo Switch. I think a hybrid is the most likely route though, just because VR is still nothing more then a trend at this moment. They have failed to establish consumer demand. Yes, the presence for virtual reality gaming is there, but at the moment, it is just passed non-existant in the way of high quality AAA games.
vr6exyvr6exy wants to connect his PS4 to his mobile hot spot.

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#16
I'm glad that there's some discussion about alternate input and non-traditional gameplay exploration.

Mostly it's just on Gamefaqs (elsewhere, on other sites, the forum-goers tend to be more open-minded about unique hardware USPs beyond first-party lineup and PURE POWERtm) but when people are asked "what would you like an Xbox or PlayStation console to be like next generation?" the answer is quite often "just another black box that sits under the TV that you control with a pad that's like the pad I currently use, and the unit is stronger overall". To me, this isn't just redundant as far as console relevancy goes, it's... boring.

When people delve into voice, haptic feedback, virtual/augmented reality, motion control, dermal feedback devices, ECG monitoring - all of this really makes me wonder of what the next generation of gaming could be. Nintendo's Switch keeps consoles relevant because it has a unique USP - bridging the home and handheld console market and taking up the "hybrid" mantle. It does something that can't be emulated by mere software.

Basically, think of it this way - if you can't "port" it, because it's part of a unique system setup, your console is unique enough to be regarded as relevant in this age of processors being ubiquitous everywhere. It's pretty close-minded and myopic to think that, in an upcoming age where potentially every monitor, TV or hell, toaster might have a processing unit inside it that could hypothetically run a copy of Call of Duty that people would still want to buy a bulky black box to sit under their TVs.

There's only two ways the Xbox and PlayStation brands can stay relevant in the future:

1) Ditch consoles altogether and simply offer app-based platforms where you can either stream or download games via that service - think Steam mixed with Netflix, and you're close. If you have devices in your house you can install the platform on, then there's no need for another superfluous box that doesn't need to do anything unique to be relevant.

2) Have unique hardware selling points. An augmented reality headband with visor. A controller that straps onto both of your arms. A set of four cameras placed on each wall of your gaming room. Anything that differentiates your machine from all the other machines that could exist. Like I said before, if another machine can get a "port" of what you're doing, your machine isn't doing anything truly unique. If you're playing a horror game that can tell how fast your heart is beating through an ECG sensor though - you're onto something.

Console relevancy is something I harp on about frequently and I think we're reaching that tipping point just shortly. I'll buy a hat to eat if I'm wrong. The hat will be made of coconut snowballs.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: cymanx

cymanx
1 month ago#17
SigmaLongshot posted...
I'm glad that there's some discussion about alternate input and non-traditional gameplay exploration.

Mostly it's just on Gamefaqs (elsewhere, on other sites, the forum-goers tend to be more open-minded about unique hardware USPs beyond first-party lineup and PURE POWERtm) but when people are asked "what would you like an Xbox or PlayStation console to be like next generation?" the answer is quite often "just another black box that sits under the TV that you control with a pad that's like the pad I currently use, and the unit is stronger overall". To me, this isn't just redundant as far as console relevancy goes, it's... boring.

When people delve into voice, haptic feedback, virtual/augmented reality, motion control, dermal feedback devices, ECG monitoring - all of this really makes me wonder of what the next generation of gaming could be. Nintendo's Switch keeps consoles relevant because it has a unique USP - bridging the home and handheld console market and taking up the "hybrid" mantle. It does something that can't be emulated by mere software.

Basically, think of it this way - if you can't "port" it, because it's part of a unique system setup, your console is unique enough to be regarded as relevant in this age of processors being ubiquitous everywhere. It's pretty close-minded and myopic to think that, in an upcoming age where potentially every monitor, TV or hell, toaster might have a processing unit inside it that could hypothetically run a copy of Call of Duty that people would still want to buy a bulky black box to sit under their TVs.

There's only two ways the Xbox and PlayStation brands can stay relevant in the future:

1) Ditch consoles altogether and simply offer app-based platforms where you can either stream or download games via that service - think Steam mixed with Netflix, and you're close. If you have devices in your house you can install the platform on, then there's no need for another superfluous box that doesn't need to do anything unique to be relevant.

2) Have unique hardware selling points. An augmented reality headband with visor. A controller that straps onto both of your arms. A set of four cameras placed on each wall of your gaming room. Anything that differentiates your machine from all the other machines that could exist. Like I said before, if another machine can get a "port" of what you're doing, your machine isn't doing anything truly unique. If you're playing a horror game that can tell how fast your heart is beating through an ECG sensor though - you're onto something.

Console relevancy is something I harp on about frequently and I think we're reaching that tipping point just shortly. I'll buy a hat to eat if I'm wrong. The hat will be made of coconut snowballs.

I don't rightly know if app-based gaming will ever be as great as home console and handheld gaming is. One of the reasons is that any moron can put out a new mobile game and it usually shows with the quality. It gets even worse with the free ones as well, because they usually dominate the shops. Another problem is the screen being your controls. I think some like myself anyway, prefer real true to life buttons and a d-bad. Maybe some d-sticks here and there like what the switch/x1/ps4 use.
vr6exyvr6exy wants to connect his PS4 to his mobile hot spot.

User Info: bluefantasy

bluefantasy
1 month ago#18
c13rocks posted...
bluefantasy posted...

Yep, I wish the devs would focus on what matters the most. They have a game with so so gameplay and story, but Dem graphics. I would say even with the 360 i was content woth how games started to look at the end of its life. Do we really need 4k for the game to be good? I hope they can calm down on trying to squueze the graphics and spend time on imo what matters more. Innovative games, gameplay, story, etc

and dont forget the cost and memory usage of 4k. Coupled with the facf most games and tv and etc cant run 4k. I mean whats next? 8k? I can only image how gigantic games will be then. Its a joke.

User Info: DirkMcGurkin

DirkMcGurkin
1 month ago#19
Mirage13 posted...
I think the days of graphic improvements on subsequent generations of consoles are over and have been over for the last 10 years. I honestly don't see how console developers can create jumps in graphics over what we have now, unless they strive for real life (aka movie CGI) graphics?

I think the next generation of consoles will just slightly improve on what we already have and will probably more focus on upgrading TV resolutions (e.g., Xbox One X) as a standard rather than graphical upgrades.

That's exactly what they are always striving for. Personally I think that games look great now, but there's a lot of room for improvement for things like lighting, shadows, and particle effects.

I remember a demo towards the end of last gen showing off characters walking through smoke as the air they stirred up caused the smoke to react in real time. Now we're at a point where they will hopefully concentrate on the physics of the world around us and how they react to everything that's happening in the world. It's all in the details.

I expect the next Elder Scrolls single player game to introduce a lot of new things we haven't seen before. Here are a few things I'm hoping will become standard in open world games in the next 10 years.

- Seasons
- Natural disasters
- Destructible environments even if limited
- Plant life that actually grows over time
- Aging PCs and NPCs
- Showing decay over time

In Fallout 5, when I shoot a mini-nuke, it needs to leave a crater and that crater needs to remain throughout my game. In TES VI want to shoot a bandit leader with an arrow in the knee and have him limp as he tries to run away when he knows he's bested. There are so many details that have yet to be standard or even introduced. There's still a lot of great things on the way to keep this hobby exciting.
Gamertag: Dirk McGurkin
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Will The Next Generation Bring Us New Techniques In Visuals / Animation / Games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived