Bethesda & Bioware should learn from From Soft how to make good action WRPG

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Bethesda & Bioware should learn from From Soft how to make good action WRPG

User Info: BPSatsuki

BPSatsuki
3 years ago#1
Their RPGs (Skyrim, Dragon Age) are bland, uninteresting and have bad combat mechanic. All they do is to fluff their games with huge world, copy-and-paste dungeons and with tons of boring dialogue with boring NPC. They don't care about combat mechanic, enemy AI, environment mood and atmosphere

It's funny how a small Japanese developer manage to make better action WRPGs than these 2 well-known and well-funded RPG makers.

User Info: IngExBein

IngExBein
3 years ago#2
Too bad Souls isn't a "W" RPG.

Also, Dragon Age Origins at least contained one of the most robust fighting systems I've seen for games of that type.

User Info: Aka_Neko

Aka_Neko
3 years ago#3
I personally really loved Skyrim, and had quite a bit of fun with it with all the hundreds of hours i put into it. DAO is one of my fave games of all time - ITS THAT GOOD. But Da2 dropped the ball and was crap.

User Info: Milleyd

Milleyd
3 years ago#4
Yeah, dunno how anyone likes Bethesda. Their big series hasn't been good since Daggerfall. Morrowind was at least playable but it was the start of a huge downfall from what was one of the best games ever.

Bioware is making their games too actiony. Mass Effect 1 was great but ehhh since that one. Dragon Age 1 was really good as well so I'm gonna wait for DA3 before I pass final judgment. The previews look really actiony as well but maybe the rest will make up for that.
Music is good. Please add me on Last.fm!
http://www.last.fm/user/Millicent_Kitty

User Info: SolKarellen

SolKarellen
3 years ago#5
Bioware figured out the magic formula where adding in "choices" garners universal acclaim. These choices boil down to "Normal person" and "ass".

They've been reskinning KotOR for ages. DA:O is awful. ME2 wasn't enough Gears to be a shooter, not enough RPG to be a RPG...
"There'd come a time when life'd pull us apart. S'not a reason to avoid people."

User Info: TeHaMbUrGlAr

TeHaMbUrGlAr
3 years ago#6
Eh i enjoyed Mass Effect 2 and 3.
I agree that Bethesda can learn from the Souls games on how to make their games more challenging and rewarding.

User Info: James Mason

James Mason
3 years ago#7
I have a hard time believing Dark Souls is a "Western RPG". For one it's made in japan , so it would be a "JRPG".

Second, it's pretty far removed from a RPG. Real Time Combat, Third Person Action and Platforming, a barely present story, the only "RPG" aspect is having to allocate stat points... The rest qualifies as Action Adventure in my book.
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN : Stealth_Cobra | MGO ID : Killed by Konami's Greed

User Info: Captain_Qwark

Captain_Qwark
3 years ago#8
They're too busy rolling in millions upon millions to care about your horrible opinions. All 3 make fantastic games. Take your childish, elitist opinions elsewhere.
http://i.imgur.com/zbWHF.jpg http://i.imgur.com/QBpku.jpg
Proof that Qwark is a woman pleaser - http://vocaroo.com/i/s035cuIJgBiD <--Hermiione

User Info: peter_888

peter_888
3 years ago#9
well i wouldn't really agree about dragon age origin having boring characters and dialogue. and find the lore to be interesting enough. Heck, Even as much as I hate dragon age 2, I have to admit that the game dialogue can be really funny and witty when it wants to be. Though I might agree that the games might not have all that good combat mechaincs.
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.

User Info: Gwyns_Beard

Gwyns_Beard
3 years ago#10
Elder Scrolls has never truly been about the combat. It's everything else. Amazing lore, great worlds, vibrant characters, fun quests. A bunch of junk like that.
Dragon Age: Origins was actually awesome. Never cared for 2. Being a mage was awesome in Origins. Virulent walking bomb all day, baby. 2op.
Let the pollen maker sneeze
All sweet and honeycombed
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Bethesda & Bioware should learn from From Soft how to make good action WRPG

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived