Bethesda & Bioware should learn from From Soft how to make good action WRPG

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Bethesda & Bioware should learn from From Soft how to make good action WRPG

User Info: Sinfullyvannila

Sinfullyvannila
3 years ago#201
Ghostradomas posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
OMGWYATT posted...
Revenanced posted...
Souls is a largely horrible game. The first game was a waste of money. I'm glad people love the challenge of dying 4000 times for minor mistakes but thats not what I enjoy in my RPGs.

Blaming a game because "it's too hard" is completely reasonable. 100% not something a 10 year old does.

That's actually something that a reasonable person who values their time does. Not attribute common to 10 year olds.

Pretty sure the poster is trying to elicit a response though. Kind of an oddball move to come into a board and complain about difficulty.

You what? A reasonable person who values their time comes to a video game board solely to complain about something that said video game franchise is essentially known for? Offers no legitimate criticism, and basically just hates, and that's reasonable? A reasonable person just would accept that the souls series is not for them. Unless of course, they are a ten year old.

I'm assuming they just saw it on the popular threads and put in their 2 cents. So yeah, that's pretty reasonable. And they pretty much said they accepted that it's not for them and he's fine with other people enjoying it.
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.

User Info: Gwyns_Beard

Gwyns_Beard
3 years ago#202
How do you guys think the TeS lore and the Souls lore stack up?
There is way more lore in TeS, obviously, but I prefer how Souls lore is woven into items and stuff. It feels like most of the things you interact with or pickup have a story to tell and make your understanding a little richer. I definitely prefer it. but TeS is no slouch other.
Let the pollen maker sneeze
All sweet and honeycombed

Sinfullyvannila
3 years ago#203
jasten posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
jasten posted...
Cvdf3 posted...
^
you should also play games before attempting to comment on their depth. Every other console ARPG could drown in Souls, even if half of Soul's weapon types were completely removed...

Oops, I did play them... found the world's shallow, the characters even more shallow, and the gameplay simply to be bland "die a lot til you learn a set pattern". I know, it's shocking that anyone dares play this franchise and not fall in love with it... but here's a damned hint: not everyone creams over difficulty and gameplay. I want immersive characters and a story that serves those characters. The Souls franchise utterly fails in that respect.

I've given this franchise three chances... no more. For ME, it's a trash bin franchise that has no redeeming value for what I want in a game. Maybe you find the tedious gameplay to be addictive and fun... I don't. And since it has a barebones story and bland characters, I'm not drawn in to battle against that gameplay to enjoy the game.

And honestly, that's okay. You like it fine.. but I'll be over here enjoying the hell out of Dragon Age and Alpha Protocol with amazing characters and story. As long as you are content with a franchise that caters to you I'm quite happy. But you wish to drag what I love through what I consider the muck... I will voice my displeasure. You have your franchise. Let me have mine. I'm tired of this "I love Dark Souls everything must be just like it and if you don't agree you're just some scrub that sucks at gaming!" That attitude I am more than sick of at this point.

1) Don't generalize us. We are of different(largely agreeing with your stance) on the matter
2) You are on our turf. Tread carefully.
3) Most of the people here have played all the relevant games.

I'm trying not call the game trash... I get the appeal if you like the style. And for that style I'd say it's a good game. Personally, it's not my thing. I just take issue with so many saying this is the standard bearer that all other RPGs must learn from.... no, please just no. I play Bioware because of what they have been and are known for (I hope to god DAI is a return to form) and although I have issues with Bethesda (terrible story/character builders though I know they have the talent....) I enjoy the world's they build.

Pretty sure you don't have to worry about it. Lots of people are sick of Bioware being the standard though. It's natural for people to want the things they like to be the standard.

User Info: BPSatsuki

BPSatsuki
3 years ago#204
Gwyns_Beard posted...
There is way more lore in TeS, obviously, but I prefer how Souls lore is woven into items and stuff. It feels like most of the things you interact with or pickup have a story to tell and make your understanding a little richer. I definitely prefer it. but TeS is no slouch other.

TeS lore reads like open book, vast and yet shallow, terms I heard a lot about TeS is an ocean 6 inches deep. Souls lore is more of a mystery, you have lots of puzzles to piece together, open to interpretation.

Sinfullyvannila
3 years ago#205
BPSatsuki posted...
Gwyns_Beard posted...

TeS lore reads like open book, vast and yet shallow, terms I heard a lot about TeS is an ocean 6 inches deep. Souls lore is more of a mystery, you have lots of puzzles to piece together, open to interpretation.

TES' lore is definitely open for interpretation too. Historical sources have bias, myths conflict with each other, etc.

People only look so deep into DaS lore since the game doesn't have much of a narrative. People don't look into TES as deeply because there is an explicit narrative.

I don't really prefer one style over another, but people have a stronger motivation to look into DaS' lore than TES.

User Info: lindaluv

lindaluv
3 years ago#206
Chibirazi posted...
He said TES and for what its worth,Arena and Daggerfall did some pretty damn impressive stuff back in the day.
Though with Skyrim I probably will have to agree.
I know people like to say its incredible once fully modded up(which I would still disagree with)but if you have to mod a game to purgatory and back to make it even halfway decent something is wrong in my book.

Pretty much. Skyrim has a good idea... massive world with loads of "quantity".. however mundane and repetitive... but when you have to go to external sources to get the game to work, run, look and play better... then something is wrong.
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Bethesda & Bioware should learn from From Soft how to make good action WRPG

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived