Best option to finish Lucatiel's quest?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Best option to finish Lucatiel's quest?

User Info: azn_boy150

azn_boy150
1 year ago#1
So far, I've beaten the Flexile Sentry and The Rotten with Lucatiel surviving, but she died to the Lost Sinner, literally a hit before I beat her. Anyway, I only have the Smelter Demon left. What I'm wondering is, should I try to fight the Smelter Demon, or would it be easier to kill one of the other bosses on NG+?

Keep in mind, despite (probably) being way over leveled, my Adaptability is only 10, and my Agility is in the low 90's. Granted, this has given me more than enough frames to dodge anything up to now.. Anyway, I've heard that the Smelter Demon's attacks have a lot of lingering hit boxes, so I'm obviously worried about my low Agility, and I'm not sure if my Vigor and Endurance are high enough for me to try a tanking strategy.

But what I'm wondering is, should I just take my chances with the Smelter Demon? Or should I use a Ascetic for one of the others? If the latter, which one would be easiest? I'm guessing The Rotten would be since the others get pets, but I don't know how weak or strong they are.
If Hell does exist, I think it's an airplane filled with crying babies, a kid kicking the back of your chair, and the on-flight movie is Twilight on loop.

User Info: G0blin

G0blin
1 year ago#2
Just ascetic Flexile or Rotten (I'd go with Rotten). Lucatiel will survive those 9/10 times in my experience, and they're very easy fights.

I'd go with Rotten just because Flexile's ninjas can be really annoying.
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could ever give a f***?
http://i.imgur.com/DXfAeaZ.jpg

azn_boy150
1 year ago#3
G0blin posted...
Just ascetic Flexile or Rotten (I'd go with Rotten). Lucatiel will survive those 9/10 times in my experience, and they're very easy fights.

Alright, thanks.
If Hell does exist, I think it's an airplane filled with crying babies, a kid kicking the back of your chair, and the on-flight movie is Twilight on loop.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
1 year ago#4
and The Rotten with Lucatiel surviving, but she died to the Lost Sinner, literally a hit before I beat her.

She survived the Rotten and died to Lost Sinner? I find it's kind of hard for her to die to Lost Sinner. Weird.

my Adaptability is only 10, and my Agility is in the low 90's. Granted, this has given me more than enough frames to dodge anything up to now..

I wouldn't say it's "more than enough"...there are some attacks you will find difficult to dodge at that level...get that agility up to at least 100. Smelter being one of those tougher bosses at low agility.

But what I'm wondering is, should I just take my chances with the Smelter Demon? Or should I use a Ascetic for one of the others?

Why not? She's not bad against him, especially in NG. Rotten should be her toughest fight. Only use bonfires if you've failed on all her other bosses.

I wouldn't. I've summoned her even with NG+7 Flexile and she does remarkably well...she can block basically every attack Flexile throws at her. Just kill the ninjas quick...they're a bigger danger to the player than to Lucatiel. At even NG+, Rotten destroyed both Lucatiel and the other NPC you can summon...she can't block much of anything he does. You'll find that summons do much better against bosses they can easily block and very poor against bosses where they have to dodge attacks.

azn_boy150
1 year ago#5
Hotel_Security posted...
She survived the Rotten and died to Lost Sinner? I find it's kind of hard for her to die to Lost Sinner. Weird.

For whatever reason, the Lost Sinner just went all out on Lucatiel in the fight, and I because of how much she was darting around in the arena, it was hard for me to keep up the damage to kill her before she killed Lucatiel. But I think it was less about that, and more about how aggressively I attacked The Rotten. I used a Gold Pine Resin on a Longsword +10 and just went full on ham on him with the two-handed R2 thrust attacks with the Old Leo Ring.

I wouldn't say it's "more than enough"...there are some attacks you will find difficult to dodge at that level...get that agility up to at least 100. Smelter being one of those tougher bosses at low agility.

I'm used the the .33 seconds of invincibility 92 Agility gives, since that's the amount you get in Monster Hunter with the skill Evasion +1, assuming the Wiki's page on Agility is correct. Anyway, I don't doubt that there are dangerous attacks out there that necessitate more Agility, it's just that so far in my gathering of the great souls, I haven't really had a fight that made me think, "I need more Agility."

Why not? She's not bad against him, especially in NG. Rotten should be her toughest fight. Only use bonfires if you've failed on all her other bosses.

Not really. From what I've read and seen, The Rotten is a joke compared to the Smelter Demon.

User Info: dbvirago

dbvirago
1 year ago#6
Just finished Rotten on my 2nd play through. 4th time I've summoned her and this is the only time she came close to dying. I think it depends on which NPC Rotten focuses on. Fought Rotten twice. First time, Rotten focused on Schmidt and killed him quickly. I boned out because I had the wrong gear. Came back in and Rotten focused on Lucatiel while Schmidt shot from across the room. Lucatiel barely alive when I finished the big blob off. Advantage to Rotten is there isn't much between the bonfire/summon and the fog. With Flexile, you're probably want to clear a path for her.

azn_boy150
1 year ago#7
How effective is the Red Eye Ring against The Rotten? If it works, I could just equip that and jam to some "Can't Touch This" while the NPC's get easy hits.

User Info: dbvirago

dbvirago
1 year ago#8
I'm more of a use the NPCs as cannon fodder while I spam magic from across the room kind of guy.
But seriously, in this fight, neither NPC did much damage. I don't think they could take him down alone.

azn_boy150
1 year ago#9
Okay, so I tried a trial run on the Smelter Demon. No Lucatiel, and I didn't bother using a Pine Resin or an Effigy, so I wasn't all that prepared. Just wanted to see if I could dodge his moves, see what my and his damage would be like. Anyway, first try I brought him down to a sliver of health and let him kill me so I could come back with Lucatiel.

I feel really disappointed. I've seen people say how the Smelter Demon is the toughest boss in the vanilla game and how hard it is to dodge his moves. But I was able to dodge his moves just fine, even in his 3rd stage.

azn_boy150
1 year ago#10
Aaaannnd I ended up dying to an Invader on my way back. Welp. XD
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Best option to finish Lucatiel's quest?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived