Favorite/best armor for a sorcerer?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Favorite/best armor for a sorcerer?

User Info: kind9

kind9
2 months ago#1
On my sorcerer I'm currently using the Black Hood with the Lion Mage set. Apparently this gives a good bonus to casting speed plus increases INT and FTH by 2. But there are so many armor sets I feel I may be overlooking some other good choices.

I wish I could simply wear what I think looks best but as a sorcerer I think using armor that buffs magic is more important.

So, any other sorcerer gear I should look out for?
http://i.imgur.com/NkZUeFd.gif

User Info: ScarletSuzumiya

ScarletSuzumiya
2 months ago#2
If you want "best" you should use the Hexer's Hood which gives +1 INT and FTH, and +10% spell charges rounded up for all spells. Alternatively, use the Black Witch Hat which gives +1 attunement slot and is equally as good as the Hexer's Hood, which one you want to use is situational. You can equip another spell for free (~30 casts or so in something like Soul Arrow) or have 10% more charges on all of your spells, so it is a matter of preference.

Keep those until, if you have the Iron King DLC, you obtain the Crown of the Old Iron King. The crown restores 20% of your spell charges for all equipped spells every two minutes, it is by far the best piece of head equipment for any build that uses spells at all. If you have the Sunken King DLC, the Sanctum Priestess Tiara may also be worth picking up for situational PvP use. It blocks the effect of Profound Still (prevents targets from casting spells) but no enemy in the game casts that, so it would only be useful against certain PvP opponents.

In the legs slot, the effect of the Flying Feline Boots is better than most other things you can put there. Being able to take long falls without any fall damage is more beneficial than a small casting speed bonus. If you have the Sunken King DLC, the Sanctum Knight Leggings are much better as they block nearly as much falling damage, and also silence your footsteps so that PvE enemies won't notice you if you run up behind them. PvP players will also be prevented from hearing your footsteps. They have a very fair amount of defense and poise that you will benefit from as a mage build as your other armor will be a bit lacking in those areas. You won't suddenly be tanking things, but your defenses are already paper-thin as is, so at least you can give yourself a small bit of resistance to being stun-locked.

As for the other two armor slots, none of them matter too much. Certain pieces give very small boosts to INT or FTH, but you may as well use the Lion Mage set because +1 to a stat isn't a lot and you'll benefit more from the casting speed. If you like to use buff spells (though there are not many that fall under sorcery) and also have the Ivory King DLC, you might want to look into the Northwarder set which increases your spell duration and is overall better than the Lion Mage set.

Alternatively, if you are using a female character and have the Ivory King DLC, you can use the Loyce Armor set (or the Charred Loyce, or Ivory King sets) as each piece of these sets restores 10 health when you kill a male enemy. The opposite applies for male characters, but the vast majority of enemies in the game are male, so male characters will have little to no benefit from the effect. If you like using hexes as well as sorceries, this can help offset the HP drain on the Abyss Seal.

As a final suggestion, for the body armor slot, you could also equip the Jester's Robes to prevent yourself from being backstabbed, but it is not a very great looking piece when it comes to fashion, unless you like the silly Jester look (I do, but I prefer other armor instead). This is more relevant for a spellcaster than a melee build as you are quite likely to be OHKO'd by a heavy-hitting backstab weapon if you are a mage. Of course, that only applies to PvP.

User Info: venn2001ad

venn2001ad
2 months ago#3
^ Good advice.

That being said, I personally say just go for fashion souls. Whatever bonus to magic that you may find are just cookie crumbs anyway. You can do just fine without any of them.

Lion mage set is actually a dud, because your typical Sorcerer build already has high ATN, which gives high casting speed already. Plus, there's also a ring for that too, if you so desire.

Feline Boot is actually pretty good... except my personal experience says falling damage aren't all that cracked up to be. There aren't that many places where you really need to drop down a long height... and even then you can equip, you know, a ring that does the same thing before you drop down?

The only feasible piece of gear for stats and bonuses is head piece. In this regard, the Hexer's Hood is quite useful for extra spell charges... but then again high ATN (also gives extra spell charges) and abundance of herbs are also a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade you from wearing bonus related gears. All I'm saying is that you can do just fine without them.

Besides, the Dessert Sorceress set is the best. Huehue. *trollface lol*
To be or not to be... that is not the question.

User Info: Matayu

Matayu
2 months ago#4
Good advice all around but nothing beats the badass look of the fume sorcerer set.

Scarlet I'm glad you mentioned the sanctum knight leggings! One of my favorite pieces I wear a lot. That constant hush effect is fantastic for invading.
PSN ID xMATAYUx

kind9
2 months ago#5
venn2001ad posted...
^ Good advice.

That being said, I personally say just go for fashion souls. Whatever bonus to magic that you may find are just cookie crumbs anyway. You can do just fine without any of them.

Lion mage set is actually a dud, because your typical Sorcerer build already has high ATN, which gives high casting speed already. Plus, there's also a ring for that too, if you so desire.

Feline Boot is actually pretty good... except my personal experience says falling damage aren't all that cracked up to be. There aren't that many places where you really need to drop down a long height... and even then you can equip, you know, a ring that does the same thing before you drop down?

The only feasible piece of gear for stats and bonuses is head piece. In this regard, the Hexer's Hood is quite useful for extra spell charges... but then again high ATN (also gives extra spell charges) and abundance of herbs are also a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade you from wearing bonus related gears. All I'm saying is that you can do just fine without them.

Besides, the Dessert Sorceress set is the best. Huehue. *trollface lol*

That pretty much sums up how I'm feeling. I've been wondering how significant the +cast speed buff on armor is once you have the blue clearstone ring +2 and high INT and ATT. I'll probably go with fashion souls after all.

kind9
2 months ago#6
^ Make that Clear Bluestone Ring.

ScarletSuzumiya
2 months ago#7
Yeah if you use the Clear Bluestone Ring (any version, but especially the +2) then the spellcasting bonus from every other source is so negligible in comparison that it might as well not even be there. The ring is extremely good but the armor bonus is just a tiny little thing.

That's basically it though, yeah. Spellcasting builds do technically have "best in slot" items, unlike melee builds, but even then only the headpiece makes a major difference, and it still isn't a huge deal so you can sacrifice it in favor of fashion souls.

kind9
2 months ago#8
Is there not a Sorcery Clutch Ring +1 or +2? Couldn't find them on the wikis so I assume not...

Right now I'm wearing Sorcery Clutch Ring, Clear Bluestone Ring, Northern Ritual Band +1, and Lingering Dragoncrest Ring +1. I'm on NG+ so I'll have CBR +2 pretty soon. Is this setup good or could I do better? I'm going to replace NRB for something else because I don't like the health loss.

ScarletSuzumiya
2 months ago#9
There is no +1 or +2 for any of the elemental clutch rings.

I was going to tell you to replace the Northern Ritual Band, but since you already planned to do that, that's perfect. You should use the Southern Ritual Band +2 and gain 3 free attunement slots from it. The northern band is generally never worth it unfortunately, even though it might look like a good idea at times the effect is way too low compared to the amount of HP you lose. The effect is also worse on spells with an already low amount of charges, for example the NRB+2 won't give you any more casts to Crystal Soul Spear than the regular NRB will, but you still lose a lot more HP. Because of that you'll always come out with more charges from simply equipping more spells with the SRB+2, and with no HP loss stuck with it.

Lingering Dragoncrest ring doesn't apply to many Sorceries, so you may want to swap that out for something else as well, but if you had a specific reason for using it you can keep it. If you don't have anything else in mind, you may as well put the Chloranthy Ring +2 in that slot because you'll benefit from the increased stamina recovery. That, or you can use the Third Dragon Ring which gives a bonus to HP, stamina and equip load, and the higher max stamina in turn will make you recover stamina slightly faster anyways.

Aside from that, there's not much more you can do to improve on your ring setup. There are tons of melee-focused rings but only few rings worth considering if you only use a single school of magic. It's generally Southern Band +2, Clutch Ring, Clear Bluestone +2, and "whatever" in the last slot. If you cast multiple types of magic you can fill it with another Clutch Ring. Hexers can fill that slot with the Abyss Seal and faith builds can put the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring there because they get the most use out of it.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Favorite/best armor for a sorcerer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived