After its all said and done, DS2 is still the best souls for me

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. After its all said and done, DS2 is still the best souls for me

User Info: Mur96

Mur96
2 months ago#11
venn2001ad posted...
Hear hear. Haters be damned. DkS2 is very awesome.

Too bad that there won't be another Souls game. It would've been nice if we could get another one with such tactical and methodical gameplay as DkS2.

Hey! Maybe a new IP somewhere

User Info: ViciousMuse

ViciousMuse
2 months ago#12
I disagree about the PvP (hard to take it remotely seriously with no setplay and with how “spacing” looks lol). Glad someone loves it though.
PSN: ViciousMuse

User Info: Wesker646

Wesker646
2 months ago#13
Still making my way trough it. I only played demons souls before this,I have a habit of not finishing these games but I keep starting over and keep enjoying it each time I do a bit of DS2.

I think Demons Souls was a bit harsh on the players, it's been a long time but I remember I had to use an exploit to even get past that flaming guy in that huge cave. I lured him towards a rock and I kept circling around it. Not pretty, I admit, but for me it was necessary to even progress.

This game is much more friendly and gives you options. I don't say this is easier, but the options you get make for smoother gameplay and it comes down to thinking before you take stuff down.
No Moon is there, no voice, no sound. Of beating heart; a sigh profound
Once in each age as each age dies. Alone is heard. Far, far it lies.

User Info: Ryphis_Demeanor

Ryphis_Demeanor
2 months ago#14
Dark Souls only beats it a bit because of the lore and level design. All the areas are amazing and complicated still (Senn's Fortress - Catacombs).

But I definitely played PvP the most in this game took me forever to get my 500 for Blue Sentinels.

It's the one I always come back to the most because of all the reasons most of you listed.

User Info: domine_dragon

domine_dragon
2 months ago#15
i like the first best

User Info: Drain_Bead

Drain_Bead
1 month ago#16
Dark Souls 2 is the best souls game when evaluating it as a game.

Some people like "movie games" and don't care much about gameplay and want an interactive experience. Unfortunately, most of the people that feel that way in the souls community are into blood and shock art. This translates to them being aroused by blood and guts and not being able to appreciate 2 for the masterpiece it is.

Personally, I started playing these games in 2009 with Demon's Souls and only became hooked for the invading mechanics. I couldn't care less about the story or lore. I ONLY play these games for build crafting and pvp, so I'm not blinded by erections from Smough's cannibalism.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince someone they've been fooled.

User Info: EmoBanger69

EmoBanger69
1 month ago#17
Drain_Bead posted...

Some people like "movie games" and don't care much about gameplay and want an interactive experience. Unfortunately, most of the people that feel that way in the souls community are into blood and shock art. This translates to them being aroused by blood and guts and not being able to appreciate 2 for the masterpiece it is.

Personally, I started playing these games in 2009 with Demon's Souls and only became hooked for the invading mechanics. I couldn't care less about the story or lore. I ONLY play these games for build crafting and pvp, so I'm not blinded by erections from Smough's cannibalism.

Lol masterpiece my ass, people keep saying the PvP was the best because " oooohh it's not as fast paced and more tactical because you can punish wiffs" but all that did was make every single PvP encounter just walking backward while blocking and waitingfor the first person to miss. DS1 had lagstabs, DS2 had people playing like p***ies, and DS3 has faster paced combat where people spam r1 with straight swords, and with all of that DK's 3 has to win because at least the bs is over faster. ALL souls PvP is just different kinds of dumbassery and you just get to pick your poison.

Then there's how the "builds" are better than other souls games, and that's just... a flat out lie, then there's the level design, the crappy textures. the garbo enemy placement, this game is hardly a masterpiece, and then there's soul memory but imma brb on that one.

Now I like DS2, I like all the souls games, simply by BEING a souls game they're essentially some of the best action rpg's ever, and you can have DS2 be your favorite, everyone can have an opinion, but saying that it's "more of a game" than any of the others, and has better build variety is just wrong. Sure he had a bunch of different spells and weapons, but a large chunk of the spells were just not viable flat out, and most of the weapon were just re-textured copies with different stats, there was hardly a real difference between all of the swords or bows or greatswords, and then theres SOUL MEMORY. So unless by "build variety" you mean "a lot of different ways you can use objectively useless or identical stuff" then no.

The only things DS3 does better than other souls dames is Fashion Souls and Poise, beyond that saying anything is better over another game is opinion and calling DS2 a masterpiece is just definitively wrong.

User Info: DrSpicy97

DrSpicy97
1 month ago#18
EmoBanger69 posted...
Drain_Bead posted...

Lol masterpiece my ass, people keep saying the PvP was the best because " oooohh it's not as fast paced and more tactical because you can punish wiffs" but all that did was make every single PvP encounter just walking backward while blocking and waitingfor the first person to miss. DS1 had lagstabs, DS2 had people playing like p***ies, and DS3 has faster paced combat where people spam r1 with straight swords, and with all of that DK's 3 has to win because at least the bs is over faster. ALL souls PvP is just different kinds of dumbassery and you just get to pick your poison.

Then there's how the "builds" are better than other souls games, and that's just... a flat out lie, then there's the level design, the crappy textures. the garbo enemy placement, this game is hardly a masterpiece, and then there's soul memory but imma brb on that one.

Now I like DS2, I like all the souls games, simply by BEING a souls game they're essentially some of the best action rpg's ever, and you can have DS2 be your favorite, everyone can have an opinion, but saying that it's "more of a game" than any of the others, and has better build variety is just wrong. Sure he had a bunch of different spells and weapons, but a large chunk of the spells were just not viable flat out, and most of the weapon were just re-textured copies with different stats, there was hardly a real difference between all of the swords or bows or greatswords, and then theres SOUL MEMORY. So unless by "build variety" you mean "a lot of different ways you can use objectively useless or identical stuff" then no.

The only things DS3 does better than other souls dames is Fashion Souls and Poise, beyond that saying anything is better over another game is opinion and calling DS2 a masterpiece is just definitively wrong.

Look, you've got some good points. At first I just thought you were gonna jump on the hateful bandwagon that this game brought, but you know what you're talking about. The thing is though, while the base game PvE is lackluster compared to the others, just being a Souls, it's still better than most games.

I'll give you most of the points you made, but the PvP man? The "clunky" combat people complain about makes for a much more thought out and methodical battle. Not to mention the massively improved net code and hit registration. DS1 had many viable builds, but in DS2 just about any build could be viable.

DS3 PvP is a complete joke. There's no such thing as stamina management, (the knight class for example starts off with 11 rolls right off the bat) so the fighting someone with the whole "reactionary playstyle" took about 15 days. To add to that, nowadays if you're anything but a strength build or pyromancer in that game, you're at a disadvantage in PvP.
If shoes are so important, why do we put them on our feet?

User Info: EmoBanger69

EmoBanger69
1 month ago#19
DrSpicy97 posted...
Look, you've got some good points. At first I just thought you were gonna jump on the hateful bandwagon that this game brought, but you know what you're talking about. The thing is though, while the base game PvE is lackluster compared to the others, just being a Souls, it's still better than most games.

I'll give you most of the points you made, but the PvP man? The "clunky" combat people complain about makes for a much more thought out and methodical battle. Not to mention the massively improved net code and hit registration. DS1 had many viable builds, but in DS2 just about any build could be viable.

DS3 PvP is a complete joke. There's no such thing as stamina management, (the knight class for example starts off with 11 rolls right off the bat) so the fighting someone with the whole "reactionary playstyle" took about 15 days. To add to that, nowadays if you're anything but a strength build or pyromancer in that game, you're at a disadvantage in PvP.

DS3 pvp is pretty bad, but it also takes the least amount of time, I mean sure if EVERY PvP encounter was really 2 players trying to outsmart or bait each other then yes, DS2 has the best setting to make the most out of PvP, but 90% of the time either right from the start or when they get low, all people start to do is backpedal and "try" to bait attacks and then the once "thought out and methodical" fight falls apart.

Granted yes that's more of an issue with the players themselves rather than the game, but with DS3's spam ability, once you outspam your opponent, you can just chase them down and finish it off easier than you can in the other 2 games. Another thing I'll give to DS2 is even though the useful spells aren't the most varied, it's the best souls game to TRY and use magic even with just a hybrid build your magic will be more useful than with dedicated magic build in DS1/3.

My main issue is people keep trying to back up DS2 with the PvP argument. Sure, if you're doing contests or w/e where you meet up in set locations with other players to fight, you CAN have the overall best PvP experience in the series, but as a whole, when you just summon random phantoms to fight even in popular pvp areas, EVERY Souls' pvp nearly always just falls apart once someone gets low. Taking the rare examples where you can have amazing fights to try and justify the game as a whole being above others rubs me pretty hard the wrong way. Looking at every aspect of a souls game as a whole, while DS2 certainly isn't the best, but there are very clear reasons why it can easily be someones favorite.

However if PvP is someone's favorite part of the series how can you talk about amazing DS2 PvP is when any PvP enthusiast already KNOWS those amazing fights are few and far between when playing casually, and that the PvP only shines truly shines in organized competition or otherwise "popular" PvP spots somewhat more often than usual?

User Info: Nenjii

Nenjii
1 month ago#20
You cannot punish a game for people's actions within the game. None of your arguments make sense. You just seem to have some blind hatred for DS2 and you're "grasping at straws" to try and prove such.

People will backpeddle when they are low. It's a natural human reaction to danger. PvP in any game is based off of organized competition and the PvP community. This is not something new. And you cannot punish a game, when it's the players faults the PvP fights aren't amazing due to their lack of skill being on equal footing.
My top 5 favorite games: 1) Tactics Ogre PSP remake 2) Tactics Ogre (original) 3) Xenogears 4) Shadowrun Sega Genesis 5) FF12 IZJS
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. After its all said and done, DS2 is still the best souls for me

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived