This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do u sometimes want to just play like a kid?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. do u sometimes want to just play like a kid?

User Info: fallenKlNG

fallenKlNG
4 years ago#11
When I was a kid, I gave every Pokemon terrible movesets featuring 3 moves of the same type. I played Silver when I was in 3rd Grade and my Typhlosion had Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Cut. The logic behind this was "sometimes I wanna hit em hard with Fire Blast, sometimes I wanna hit em normally, and sometimes their health is low or they're weak enough to die with a weak Ember attack so I don't gotta waste the bigger attacks. Then I need a normal attack like Cut, and I need it so I can cut those trees." Also, I pumped all the experience points into my starter so I'd have a full team, but everyone would be somewhere between 20-35 levels behind my starter near the end of the game. I kept a Noctowl as a Flash/Fly HM slave as well. Damn, I was a stupid kid.

When 3rd gen came out, I was in 5th grade. I had wisened up by then, and I had a perfectly balanced team. I over-grinded to the point that I could beat a gym leader with a Pokemon that's weak against the gym leader's type. It got to the point where playing started feeling more like a chore than a game. I was too stupid to realize this though.

Now that I'm an adult, I can play the game in a manner that maximizes the fun. I do some of the stuff that I did as a kid, but I've improved on it. I still use an HM slave so I don't have to waste them on my other Pokes, and so that I wouldn't have to grind as much with 5 teammates each getting more exp individually than 6 teammates would. I still have my starter a few levels ahead of the rest of my team, but only by 4-5 levels. Finally, I still have a well balanced team and I level grind when needed, but not nearly as much as before.

So in the end, I still do play this game like I did as a kid, but I just do it in a smarter manner.
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561

User Info: Infinity_X

Infinity_X
4 years ago#12
I have been playing the same since '98. If EV's are more visual than MAYBE I'll give a damn. But generally, I don't.

I assume that's what playing like a child means; ignoring IV's, EV's and other things that I lack the patience to abuse.

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
4 years ago#13
lol yeah... as a kid my movesets were like... Alakazam with HM Flash, Recover, Pysbeam, and Psychic.

And then I remembred how much I hated having Flash so the next game, it was Recover, Confusion, Psybeam, and Psychic!!! LOL
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. do u sometimes want to just play like a kid?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived