This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon stats explained! EVs, IVs, Natures, everything! PLEASE READ!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Pokemon stats explained! EVs, IVs, Natures, everything! PLEASE READ!

User Info: Skeetermania

Skeetermania
2 years ago#51
Sorry, my math was wrong. The answer is actually approximately 225.1. Does it round down to 224 or up to 228?

User Info: jayman7

jayman7
2 years ago#52
You didn't specify Nature, but it's impossible for a Starmie to have 180 Speed at level 50 with a neutral nature, soo...

Everything rounds down, so using normal algebra isn't the solution. The last step is multiplying the result by 1.1. 180/1.1 = 163.6, but it's in WHOLE numbers that computers work. You don't want to solve the rest being equal to 163.6, you want to solve for it to equal 164 (163 * 1.1 < 180).

I won't be solving for the exact number of EVs. I'll be solving for the number of fours of EVs. I'm also assuming a Speed IV of 31; you'll need more if it's below that.

164 = (115 * 2 + 31 + x) * 50 / 100 + 5
159 = (261 + x) / 2
318 = 261 + x
57 = x

57 * 4 = 228. Assuming no mistake, you'd need 228 EVs and a +Speed Nature to have a Starmie with 180 Speed at level 50.
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
(edited 2 years ago)

Skeetermania
2 years ago#53
I forgot to put it down, but the Starmie I was using in my example was Timid.

Skeetermania
2 years ago#54
I have another question.

How do you fully calculate the IV of a certain stat at a level? On top of that, at what level are IVs considered to be at the most accurate?

Skeetermania
2 years ago#55
Also no nature modifier.

jayman7
2 years ago#56
Skeetermania posted...
I have another question.

How do you fully calculate the IV of a certain stat at a level? On top of that, at what level are IVs considered to be at the most accurate?

Take the stat and the formula and work backward. You can use algebra, you just have to take into account the rounding. And speaking of rounding, because of it you cannot guarantee that IVs will be accurate until your level is very high - generally speaking, 100. Of course, you do have a few other checks, such as the IV rater, but he isn't particularly specific for anything except stats with 0 and 31 IVs.

Or you could use an IV calculator; a number of Pokémon websites have them.

If you don't know your Pokémon's EVs, BTW, you can't get their IVs.

User Info: holomuran

holomuran
2 years ago#57
TC, this is really something, I've always wondered how IVs and EVs work. Thank you for providing this information.

User Info: Kayers906

Kayers906
2 years ago#58
very useful but I don't think I'll ever train EVs and IVs purposely. Here's why:

1. too much work. I'm lazy. I don't want to grind

2. I once battled my friend who trained his pokemon in IVs. He told me his pokemon were going to wreck me. *"2 seconds later"* I 1-shot his pokemon. and I beat him 4-0 (I had 4 pokemon left) After, I said "How are those EVs and IVs working for you now?" XD

I prefer brute strength over science in pokemon. Though it occurred to me as I was reading this, my 3 LEGIT NOT TRADED level 100s probably already had perfect IVs and EVs. LOL

#REKT
Friend Code: 3239-4091-7210

jayman7
2 years ago#59
So EVs, which can give you more brute strength, are less important than brute strength?

Your three allegedly-legit level 100s almost certainly do not have perfect IVs - such a thing is rarer than shiny Pokémon - but it is very probable that they have 510 EVs. Just maybe not in an optimal arrangement.

User Info: Starbaracks

Starbaracks
2 years ago#60
Good read. Thanks!
Guess whose alt is this.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Pokemon stats explained! EVs, IVs, Natures, everything! PLEASE READ!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.