This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IV's are dumber than tripping in Brawl.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. IV's are dumber than tripping in Brawl.

User Info: WhiteBaitKent

WhiteBaitKent
3 years ago#21
I don't think the concept of IVs are the problem as much as how tedious and random getting perfect IVs are. If they were even more easier to control, no one would be complaining about IVs.
FC: 3969-5736-8865 IGN: Dallas. Friend Safari: Fire-Magmar/Pyroar/Ninetales

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
3 years ago#22
WhiteBaitKent posted...
I don't think the concept of IVs are the problem as much as how tedious and random getting perfect IVs are. If they were even more easier to control, no one would be complaining about IVs.

True. All they had to do was to make perfect IVs guaranteed (like CDs in Brawl) and IV's would be no problem at all.
A GameFAQs user from August 1, 2010 to March 27, 2012.
Known as Megaleg back then.

User Info: Corporal_Corpul

Corporal_Corpul
3 years ago#23
CakeOfLies posted...
J_Applei posted...
Lexifox posted...
Tripping can't be controlled. IVs can.

Actually, there is a way to make yourself trip in Brawl. I do it all the time.

Dash back and forth as Luigi (or anyone, but he trips easier)? Actually now that I think about it, why does Luigi slip more often than Bowser or Dedede (who had moves based on falling)?
If you can't see them, then they can't see you...
Does that mean blind people are invisible?

User Info: Teh_Tiltyu

Teh_Tiltyu
3 years ago#24
SprintXtel posted...
Nothing is dumber than tripping in Brawl.

the input lag is

*runs*
King of Fighters is objectively the best franchise.
"Mounted Emblem: Sigurdology of the Holsety War" - heavylobsterguy

User Info: ClassyOldHat

ClassyOldHat
3 years ago#25
Habefiet posted...
I am astonished that anyone could convince themselves that IVs are important for sustaining even "casual competitive" play. Players that are really in the know max IVs on everything and players that don't know or don't care wouldn't even notice they were gone.

Don't bother with Shining Pikablu. S/He never responds to any argument, and posts the same thing every time an IV topic is made, only occasionally dropping a point when someone points out how absurd it is (such as how "Prof. Oak would be horrified by a world without IVs"), or occasionally grudgingly admitting s/he didn't think it through (such as stating that without IVs, all hidden powers would be 30 power fighting, ignoring that if IVs were overhauled, Hidden Power likely would be too).

He's still ignoring that plenty of diverse strategies can happen with equal IVs, as both simulator metagames, and those that got lucky with the Destiny Knot (or used an Action Replay) have proven. He also ignores that, if anything, IVs discourage cart-only players from trying new natures, abilities, or egg/stone evolution moves, because if they are unlucky, they will have to spend days riding back and forth to get the optimum IV spread again.

I'm glad he's dropped the "weaker overall metagame" argument, seeing how when every Pokemon is 32 points weaker, effectively nothing changes. Beyond of course, the number of 101 HP sub users, but given that Night Shade and Seismic Toss have become less relevant with each passing generation, even that doesn't stand to shake things up. (And of course, s/he's also ignoring the fact that if IVs were removed/changed, it could just as easily be in such a way that all Pokemon effectively have 31 IVs in everything, rather than 0 IVs in everything.)

I am rather amused by the new argument s/he makes in the last paragraph. So, a comparatively new series, that barely ever sees a release outside of Japan (If I didn't count wrong, about 3 games have been released in Europe, one in Australia, and the first title in the series to hit stateside was literally released just this week, as a digital-only title), and receives consistently good-but-not-great reviews (for flaws in the single player mode, mind you, not for a lack of metagame or variety) doesn't have as much of a metagame as a series over 15 years old, released to a worldwide audience with enough hype from cartoons, comics, and toys to become an enduring pop-culture phenomenon.

Gee, I can't think of any differences aside from a lack of IVs that might have led to comparatively less interest in Inazuma Eleven's metagame than Pokemon's.
Pokemon X Grass Safari (Oddish, Sawsbuck, Gogoat) FC: 4124-5539-4848 IGN: Zach

User Info: Rainbowgloom

Rainbowgloom
3 years ago#26
shiningpikablu252 posted...
Huh, didn't know that tripping was basically the lifeblood of Brawl...

Anyway, wishing for the removal of IVs is basically wishing for the death of the franchise. IVs encourage diversity.

stop reading here
My life has became 20% sadder, please let me kill you.
Pokemon X FC: 1693 0422 8603

User Info: SilentSeph

SilentSeph
3 years ago#27
IVs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tripping in Brawl

Imagine if every time you made a move in Pokemon, there's an unavoidable 3% chance that your Pokemon "trips" and completely wastes its turn. You predicted your opponent's switch and are getting ready to set up? Trip!

The opponent's Lucas missed his up-smash and you're running over to punish him? Trip!

User Info: Saphirah

Saphirah
3 years ago#28
YourLuck posted...
Saphirah posted...
IVs from legendaries can't be controlled, I think they're dumber than tripping.

Doesn't Gamefreak ban legends anyways (from Rated and VGC)? They're not meant to be used in a serious match because (some) they are op.

The legendary Bird trio and other 580bst legends are not banned.
3DS FC: 2621 2684 0605
IGN: Scarlett | Pokemon list http://tinyurl.com/pnpcp3r

User Info: Rainbowgloom

Rainbowgloom
3 years ago#29
bump for lol... no not really
My life has became 20% sadder, please let me kill you.
Pokemon X FC: 1693 0422 8603

User Info: Lexifox

Lexifox
3 years ago#30
Rainbowgloom posted...
shiningpikablu252 posted...
Huh, didn't know that tripping was basically the lifeblood of Brawl...

Anyway, wishing for the removal of IVs is basically wishing for the death of the franchise. IVs encourage diversity.

stop reading here

Should have stopped when you realized who the poster is.
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. IV's are dumber than tripping in Brawl.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived