This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does ESV/TSV matches follows a normal distribution?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Does ESV/TSV matches follows a normal distribution?

User Info: sephatu

sephatu
3 years ago#1
I feel like it does. Though I've only been active doing this for a while, my outlier one, with 0 digit in it's thousandth, seems to get fewer matches compared to the one with a 2 digit.
3DS (FC: 2234-7165-0261 | IGN: Ikki)

User Info: SapphireOfChaos

SapphireOfChaos
3 years ago#2
It's just a general 1/4096 chance for any TSV. I mean, look at mine: 401. I've found several peoples' matching mine, though.
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | PKMN X - IGN: Sapphire (Shiny Charm obtained: 2/5/2014)
Friend Safari: Fire - Growlithe, Charmeleon, Braixen | TSV: 401

sephatu
3 years ago#3
Yeah. It may seem like a coincidence that the number of search hits coincide with this notion as I search on the reddit page with two TSV I have.

I'm just curious if anybody has done work on this really :)

Thank you

User Info: _SiTro_

_SiTro_
3 years ago#4
Hard to say really, but an interesting question.

TSV = TID ^ SID, by the way. So one way to approach this would be to look at the distribution of Trainer ID and Secret IDs, and whether XOR preserves their particular distributions.

I can't remember how TID and SID are generated though, which is a problem! OmegaDonut describes the process for Gen 4 at this link:

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?8483-How-is-quot-Trainer-ID-quot-Calculated&p=74913&viewfull=1#post74913

I think this was changed for Gen 5 though, IIRC last generation every combination of TID/SID was possible to be obtained. Of course there's no guarantee there wasn't another change for Gen 6, but it's currently our best bet. (Hopefully the RAM dump might in time shed light on how it's done at the moment.)

My gut feeling though is that in a perfect world the TID and SIDs would each be uniformly distribution. Mostly because I can't see any reason why it would be advantageous for the developers to follow a different distribution or bias the distribution of the IDs in any way.

If so, it's worth noting that XOR preserves uniform distributions, i.e. if the TID and SID do follow a uniform distribution then so should the TSV values.
3DS FC: 3840-6516-6461
Friend Safari: Cascoon, Ariados, Whirlipede. PM me for: Wide Guard Honedge

sephatu
3 years ago#5
wow, amazing stuff :D
Glad to know somebody shares the same hunch.

Though, with online syncing and what not maybe GF would have developed some way for anybody to have distinct TID and SID. But I think it would just be hassle and since it has been working since previous gens why change it, I'd say.

Yeah, this is more apt for the experts in projectpokemon lol
This was just something that come off on a whim when I tried searching for egg matches xD

Thank you
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Does ESV/TSV matches follows a normal distribution?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived