This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is stupid...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. This is stupid...

User Info: FFnut

FFnut
3 years ago#31
MagikarpRules posted...
And then why battle at all? Just give them tests of character and don't bother with gym battles.

Because the tests of character involve expert handling of your Pokemon and aren't set up by the gym leaders? Unless you think Erika burned her own gym to the ground, or Misty called Team Rocket to attack, just to test Ash's character.

Heck, this is even how it works in the Adventures manga - Erika gives Red the Rainbow Badge for helping stop Team Rocket and retrieving their Eevee, not because he beat her in a straight battle. And he picks up three of his badges from the TR gym leaders after Zapmolcuno breaks apart, not because he beat each of them individually in a fair fight.

Everyone praises Gary for fighting for all ten of his badges, but keep in mind that he picked up the Cascade Badge before Misty went home, so it is most likely that it was literally handed to him by her sisters (as they tried to do for Ash before he demanded a battle with the gym leader). Who knows how many of the rest of them were just given to him for similar reasons?
And though we deserved not his mercy, he has led us to this new Eden, a last chance for redemption.

User Info: GalacticAnthem

GalacticAnthem
3 years ago#32
Phoenix_Heart posted...
Don't mind the spoiler tags just covering my ass. You know how the mods are.
First season spoilers.

Boulder Badge: He showed compassion and an unwillingness to fight dirty.
Cascade Badge: He saved the gym from TR
Thunder Badge: Won
Rainbow Badge: Saved the leader's favourite pokemon from the fire.
Soul Badge: Won
Marsh Badge: Helped the leader escape her own mental prison.
Volcano Badge: Won
Earth Badge: Won

He legit won four and passed other trials for the other four. Seems fine to me.

If I were Ash, I wouldn't accept a badge meant for people who defeat the gym leader from a gym for helping them out. I'd want to earn the badge by winning the gym leader battle like people have done before me and people will do after me.

User Info: FFnut

FFnut
3 years ago#33
GalacticAnthem posted...
If I were Ash, I wouldn't accept a badge meant for people who defeat the gym leader from a gym for helping them out. I'd want to earn the badge by winning the gym leader battle like people have done before me and people will do after me.

But it's not like he just accepts the badge for no good reason. He only takes it if he feels like he's earned it. Again, I point to the whole Cascade Badge episode where Misty's sisters try to give him the Cascade Badge for literally nothing and he refuses to take it.
And though we deserved not his mercy, he has led us to this new Eden, a last chance for redemption.

User Info: Alphanumeric

Alphanumeric
3 years ago#34
FFnut posted...
GalacticAnthem posted...

But it's not like he just accepts the badge for no good reason. He only takes it if he feels like he's earned it. Again, I point to the whole Cascade Badge episode where Misty's sisters try to give him the Cascade Badge for literally nothing and he refuses to take it.

Ash was gonna accept that badge but Misty showed up and started throwing a hissy fit.

Ash hasn't been a fan of pity badges since Jhoto though, so these jokes kinda fail.
http://i.imgur.com/wZ280Fo.jpg http://i.imgur.com/QxFRglt.png
http://i.imgur.com/koVytht.jpg

User Info: Missingno_Mastr

Missingno_Mastr
3 years ago#35
Blk_Mage_Ctype posted...
Pikachu has a superior speed stat to Raichu which allows a Pikachu to beat Raichu

That wasn't what happened. Surge evolved his Pikachu into Raichu as soon as he got it, and as a result, it was unable to learn Quick Attack and Agility, moves it could only learn in the Pikachu stage. Once Brock told this to Ash, he taught Pikachu Quick Attack and Agility so he could use those moves to outspeed and confuse Raichu in order to win, since Raichu couldn't use those moves.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://gottaglitchemall.smackjeeves.com/

User Info: Skull_pro

Skull_pro
3 years ago#36
Star99gers posted...
He cheats EVERY battle; how in the world does a Pikachu beat an Onix? Oh right, the sprinklers go on...What a god awful trainer; can't even have a fair fight.

He loses a gym battle TWICE but because he can make the gym leader laugh he gets given the badge? This entire system is a joke. What jurisdiction would allow this? He makes a mockery of this once pristine Pokemon League.

Kid needs to start growing up. Life is tough. Deal with it.

Remember that in the anime, if a gym leader funds a trainer worthy, he or she will give the trainer his or her batdge, reguardless of the battle outcome. Here are some example other than those you mentioned.

Ash VS Misty: Battle was interrupted, badge given to him by Misty's sister after seeing his actions in the gym.

Ash vs Erika: Battle was interrupted, Erika gave him her badge after Ash helped save the pokemon in the burned gym.

Ash vs Pryce: After seeing Ash's abilities, as well as his pokemon who grew very weak, he gave up the fight and gave him the badge.

Ash vs Maylene: Battle ended with a draw. Maylene found Ash worthy of the badge, and so gave it to him.

Also, even if I said I wouldn't...

Ash vs Brock: No matter if Ash won because of the sprinklers or not, the sprinklers themselves ARE in the battlefield and thus totally legal to abuse of. If they werwn't, then the gym leaders would most likely make gym battlefield that put their own pokemon at an advantage ( I'm looking at you, Blaine and your in-a-damn-volcano-gym).Pikach just activated them by sheer luck. Heck, the Indigo league's first 4 round even had battlefield that put select pokemon type at an advantage!

I'm not saying the anime rocks, but your reasoning sucks.
Married to Augustine Sycamore. Back off! If you don't, I won't just call the police, but I will call the police! 3DS:4339 2730 2396

User Info: Skull_pro

Skull_pro
3 years ago#37
To add something to what I already wrote...

Everone vs Roxie: She gives a badge to whoever can defeat 3 of her pokemon, even if her opponents use a full team of 6. In fact, she FORCES her opponents to use a full team of six againts her team of 3.
Married to Augustine Sycamore. Back off! If you don't, I won't just call the police, but I will call the police! 3DS:4339 2730 2396

User Info: Phoenix_Heart

Phoenix_Heart
3 years ago#38
So everyone only sees my first post but ignores my second post with this http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP056. Rules in the anime work a bit different from in game.
0748-2684-5434 3DS FC (Camerupt, Phanpy, Palpitoad friend safari)
Pokemon IGN: Hunter. Warned for trading on the pokemon trade boards. Silly mods

User Info: Star99gers

Star99gers
3 years ago#39
Phoenix_Heart posted...
So everyone only sees my first post but ignores my second post with this http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP056. Rules in the anime work a bit different from in game.

Irrelevant to the core philosophical debate. That's why people are ignoring it.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. This is stupid...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived