This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it really wrong for somebody to prefer RBY/FRLG over GSC/HGSS?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Is it really wrong for somebody to prefer RBY/FRLG over GSC/HGSS?

User Info: FuneralCake

FuneralCake
3 years ago#31
It's not wrong, just as long as you acknowledge that it is nostalgia.
KITTY PANTIES KITTY PANTIES KITTY PANTIES KITTY PANTIES
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |

User Info: Ecclesiastes273

Ecclesiastes273
3 years ago#32
Lexifox posted...
I still don't see the appeal of Gen 2 TR. they were probably the worst.

They're about as hardcore as the anime Team Rocket, going all tsundere for their long lost love Giovanni, but it was amusing to see them in shambles without their Dear Leader.

Still not quite as lame as Flare's "the world's not perfect, so anyone who can't afford a million dollar cosplay isn't fit to live" chicanery. In a world smelling like a semi-industrialized Arcadia. Things get awkward when you raise the stakes with Pokémon villains.
FC: 0989 - 2566 - 4406 IGN: Michael
Guild Member and Co-Founder of Kyogre's Cascade on the Pokemon XY boards.

User Info: Lexifox

Lexifox
3 years ago#33
Ecclesiastes273 posted...
Lexifox posted...
I still don't see the appeal of Gen 2 TR. they were probably the worst.

They're about as hardcore as the anime Team Rocket, going all tsundere for their long lost love Giovanni, but it was amusing to see them in shambles without their Dear Leader.

Not really. They started out interesting but then things fell apart quickly, culminating as they did one of the most asinine things in any Pokemon medium: they literally began broadcasting their location and criminal intent, announcing the name of their leader (who was never really publicly identified as being their leader, implicating him), and begging him to go to the area where the authorities were no doubt on their way.

Still not quite as lame as Flare's "the world's not perfect, so anyone who can't afford a million dollar cosplay isn't fit to live" chicanery. In a world smelling like a semi-industrialized Arcadia. Things get awkward when you raise the stakes with Pokémon villains.

Things don't get awkward when you raise the stakes.

Giovanni wanted money and some form of power, apparently.
Archie and Maxie were ecoterrorists who wanted to reshape the earth.
Cyrus was basically out for power in the most extreme way possible.
Ghetsis was out for power in a more realistic fashion, but more extreme than Giovanni's plans.

Lysandre's plan could have made sense and he did make some good points about human population getting too large to sustain itself, etc. The issue is that they put too much work into making Kalos, like all regions, a happy and verdant land where people are all kind and happy and friendly. They expected us to buy more into his point because something bad happened thousands of years ago. If they were willing to take more risks and make things less ideal, and changed some of the dialogue so his plan to save to world from selfish people by killing everyone and then repopulating it with thieves and thugs and selfish people was more "kill everyone except for the scientists, scholars, doctors, etc. we've recruited/kidnapped" then the story would have made a lot more sense.
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod

User Info: Ecclesiastes273

Ecclesiastes273
3 years ago#34
Back then, I figured Team Rocket had totally lost their minds. I'm not very familiar with like half the series; I should read up on that stuff.

Also, you have a habit of making quality posts.
FC: 0989 - 2566 - 4406 IGN: Michael
Guild Member and Co-Founder of Kyogre's Cascade on the Pokemon XY boards.

User Info: pokemonfreak97

pokemonfreak97
3 years ago#35
djmetal777 posted...
why is it that your instantly called a genwunner if you like gen 1 better then another gen? why is everybody that likes kanto is called a casual? i played every main pokemon game and this is still my opinion

A genwunner isn't someone who thinks that Gen I is a good game. A genwunner is someone who thinks that everything but Gen I sucks.
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.

User Info: Lexifox

Lexifox
3 years ago#36
Ecclesiastes273 posted...
Back then, I figured Team Rocket had totally lost their minds. I'm not very familiar with like half the series; I should read up on that stuff.

It was more of a desperation thing, but still incredibly stupid.

Also, you have a habit of making quality posts.

It's what I do.
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod

User Info: Steel_Shadows

Steel_Shadows
3 years ago#37
Lexifox posted...
Lysandre's plan could have made sense and he did make some good points about human population getting too large to sustain itself, etc. The issue is that they put too much work into making Kalos, like all regions, a happy and verdant land where people are all kind and happy and friendly. They expected us to buy more into his point because something bad happened thousands of years ago. If they were willing to take more risks and make things less ideal, and changed some of the dialogue so his plan to save to world from selfish people by killing everyone and then repopulating it with thieves and thugs and selfish people was more "kill everyone except for the scientists, scholars, doctors, etc. we've recruited/kidnapped" then the story would have made a lot more sense.

You know, now that you mention it... this could've been done by making Kalos a little more like Orre.
Games are like women, they don't have to be smokin' hawt to make me happy.-Mr_X_Returns
Member of the IRDC, where everything's a dirty joke.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Is it really wrong for somebody to prefer RBY/FRLG over GSC/HGSS?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived