This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gen. 3 is my favorite generation. Added amazing Pokemon! So what's all the hate?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Gen. 3 is my favorite generation. Added amazing Pokemon! So what's all the hate?

User Info: FireEmblem1717

FireEmblem1717
3 years ago#31
Thank you so much for making this topic. I love Hoenn, favorite region since I was a kid. For all of you that complain about surfing, not that much was actually necessary. Also, Repel.

Easily my favorite region. Great music complimented beautiful scenery. The plot was also cool, definitely better than Johto or Kanto (except maybe finding out that Giovanni was the 8th gym leader)

Hoenn introduced tons of cool pokemon. Sceptile is awesome. Blaziken is uber. Swampert... eh. Aggron is literally a huge tank. Some gems like Zangoose and Banette that many people missed, but Banette got worse after the Physical/Special split.

Battle Frontier. Hoenn introduced the idea and it's been used ever since. Easily the most time-consuming part of the game for people that didn't EV train during the actual game. So annoying, frustrating, and yet still great.

Overall a great region. I don't know why anyone complains about it. Like I said, there wasn't actually a ton of necessary surfing, and for the people who want to find everything, buy a ton of Repels.

User Info: Centipedee

Centipedee
3 years ago#32
FireEmblem1717 posted...
Thank you so much for making this topic. I love Hoenn, favorite region since I was a kid.

Thank you :)

User Info: The_Undying_84

The_Undying_84
3 years ago#33
1. The Pokemon aren't that good. Sharpedo, Metagross, Breloom, and some of the legendaries are the only ones I like. Too many generational rehashes and worthless non evolving Pokemon.
2. Most importantly, almost half of all Pokemon at the time were completely unavailable in R/S. Over 180 of 251 Gen 1/2 Pokemon can not be gotten in R/S by any means, which is an absurd amount.
PSN: TheUndying84

User Info: Virtua1ity

Virtua1ity
3 years ago#34
The_Undying_84 posted...
1. The Pokemon aren't that good. Sharpedo, Metagross, Breloom, and some of the legendaries are the only ones I like. Too many generational rehashes and worthless non evolving Pokemon.
2. Most importantly, almost half of all Pokemon at the time were completely unavailable in R/S. Over 180 of 251 Gen 1/2 Pokemon can not be gotten in R/S by any means, which is an absurd amount.

1. That's your opinion,not a fact.Every generation has some worthless pokemon.

2. I agree with you here.There wasn't a way to bring your old pokemon to R/S,which stinks.
"Do you choose Mudkip,the Mud Fish pokemon?"
FC: 4253-3703-9667 | IGN:Esteban | TSV:3731

User Info: kingjam1

kingjam1
3 years ago#35
1. Hoenn is a garbage region. From beginning to end it is a utter bore. Land routes were decent but unmemorable, water routes are terrible like they always are.
2. The fishing mechanics sucked as did the stupid bicycles.
3. Awful music that is better muted.

The only good things were doubles, abilities and Battle Frontier

The rest I don't remember. It's been ages since I've played those crappy games.
Can't think of anything

User Info: mjalal100

mjalal100
3 years ago#36
kingjam1 posted...

no.
If I had a superpower, it would be the ability to defy logic.

FireEmblem1717
3 years ago#37
The_Undying_84 posted...

1. Like I said before, there are tons if hidden gems in R/S/E. Zangoose with Shadow Ball, Facade, and Brick Break got perfect coverage. Sceptile was the third or fourth fasted Pokemon. Ninjask was the second fastest and had Swords Dance to boost his mediocre attack. Freakin Salamence, for Petes sake!

2. Use your GBC from when you played G/S/C and trade. If you hadn't gotten the National Dex, you shouldn't be able to get them anyways.

FireEmblem1717
3 years ago#38
kingjam1 posted...
1. Hoenn is a garbage region. From beginning to end it is a utter bore. Land routes were decent but unmemorable, water routes are terrible like they always are.
2. The fishing mechanics sucked as did the stupid bicycles.

The only good things were doubles, abilities and Battle Frontier

The rest I don't remember. It's been ages since I've played those crappy games.

1. So many memorable things about Hoenn. Do you have short-term memory loss? Also, if it's been "ages since you've played those crappy games", you wouldn't remember a ton anyways. Don't tell me you don't remember Mt. Chimney, or Sootopolis City, or Sky Pillar.

2. I thought the bicycle was interesting. Needing to fly back and forth to Mauville was, I agree, frustrating, though. I liked how fishing was improved so that you needed to pay more attention and "hone your reflexes" to get better Pokemon while fishing.

3. You're kidding, right? Beautiful music for beautiful scenery. Trumpets gave the younger me the sense of adventure that is necessary in a Pokemon game, and still do (with slight nostalgia, I admit)

Also, natures mean nothing now? How about weather? Improved EVs and IVs? Better battle mechanics?

User Info: Ephraim225

Ephraim225
3 years ago#39
^ You mean weather on the overworld maps, right? Actually, that's another thing: Hoenn feels more alive because of the weather that can actually affect battles, and when the legendary gets released, the entire region is affected.
Delphox shall rise, and Greninja shall be her slave!
Ignore anything I say. My Showdown record is 0-99.

FireEmblem1717
3 years ago#40
^ I meant weather on both over world and in battle. I agree, in over world it makes Hoenn feel much more vibrant and realistic, while in-battle weather defined the meta game for 4 generations and counting. (3,4,5,6). Also, the legendary thing was awesome. No other region has had that, and I can't wait to see the epic battle in ORAS.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Gen. 3 is my favorite generation. Added amazing Pokemon! So what's all the hate?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived