This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon game selection

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Pokemon game selection

User Info: VeneficusDraco

VeneficusDraco
2 years ago#1
Long story short...I'm old.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red when it came out, liked it a lot.

Fast forward x years, my kids dig the Pokemon reruns on Netflix, so I want to surprise them with a DS and a Pokemon game.

I can see much has changed since 1998 (sigh), but I would like to play with/against them on a separate DS because I kinda miss Pokemon too.

So..I just wanted to ask which of the games is the "best" for an old player and a new one.

I know new ones are coming out in November, wait for them or pick X/Y or some other version?

Help from current players is GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

I think there was like 150 Pokemon back then, now there's 700+, that's nuts!

User Info: FuneralCake

FuneralCake
2 years ago#2
Wait, are you planning on getting DS games or 3DS games?

If you're getting 3DS games, it's probably worth waiting for ORAS in November. XY aren't terrible, but there's a lot missing that ORAS will end up adding. Plus, ORAS will just have more content in general.

If you're getting DS games, get Black 2 or White 2. One for you, one for your kid(s).
UNlCORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD UNICORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD

User Info: VeneficusDraco

VeneficusDraco
2 years ago#3
It'd be 2DS, but I understand that can play any of them.

User Info: FuneralCake

FuneralCake
2 years ago#4
Well, not any of them, but anything from Diamond and Pearl and up. Older games won't work on a 2DS.
UNlCORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD UNICORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD

User Info: rojse

rojse
2 years ago#5
If you want to do this on a budget, you can just buy something like Black 2 and White 2 and two used DS consoles (seeing as though you want to versus battle your kids).

If you want to play the newest and shiniest games on a current-gen console, I'd wait for ORAS - as a general rule, the second set of games in any gen is better than the first set of games, so most likely, ORAS will be better than X/Y. Alternatively, you can try to look for X/Y secondhand for cheap, but good luck with that.

Last note - pokemon games tend not to drop in price much even as future games release, so waiting for ORAS to release to get cheap copies of X/Y probably won't work.
MissJocelyn: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69712152
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000300-pokemon-emerald-social/69775480

User Info: EmiArts

EmiArts
2 years ago#6
FuneralCake posted...
Well, not any of them, but anything from Diamond and Pearl and up. Older games won't work on a 2DS.

Hi Cake!
FC- 3067-4379-4862- IGN is Emily :) Proud OSG Member! :D
~Soul~Spirit~Superior~
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Pokemon game selection

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived