This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Haven't played since the GBC days, what are some...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Haven't played since the GBC days, what are some...

User Info: HappyBiscuit

HappyBiscuit
1 month ago#1
Haven't played since the GBC days, what are some "beginner" things I should know?

It's been a long time, got this new for a decent price and figured I should check into it.

Trust me I'll be looking into the history of stuff seeing what I've missed, but I was wondering what I should know as a beginner about this game/this Gen.

Thanks!
Creator of the Culdcept Central Discord's Culdra Bot, Come watch me play and teach you Culdcept - https://www.twitch.tv/OldWillowScrub

User Info: YUGI256

YUGI256
1 month ago#2
the EXP share is now a Key Item & raises all pokemon's EXP that don't participate in battle that is one cool thing.
FC: 1006-2167-6767 Sun IGN Travis. "You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

User Info: ThugLovesMoney

ThugLovesMoney
1 month ago#3
A lot has changed

User Info: ThugLovesMoney

ThugLovesMoney
1 month ago#4
Also don't trust smogan, they stole my girlfriend

User Info: MrFuzz111

MrFuzz111
1 month ago#5
In addition to four moves, every Pokémon also has a passive trait called an ability. These range from increasing damage of a certain type when low on health to providing immunity to ground type attacks and a whole lot of other abilities. Some species only have one ability, others have two possible abilities with the ability a specific Pokémon of that species has being random. Hidden abilities are an alternate ability a Pokémon can have instead of one of the usual ones for their species, but Pokémon with hidden abilities can't be found through normal means.

Whether a move is physical or special is decided on a case by case basis, not by type. Fire Punch is physical, Flamethrower is special, things like that. In most cases it's intuitive enough to figure with some common sense.

Fairy type is a new type. They're immune to Dragon type and strong against it along with Dark and Fighting, but weak to Poison and Steel. Some old Pokémon like Clefairy and Snubull were changed to Fairy type, others like Jigglypuff and Marill had it added to their already existing types.

Mega Evolution isn't available until postgame and Z moves will probably be explained in detail in the new games since they're this gen's gimmick, you probably don't need to worry too much about those.
Still waiting on that Seiken Densetsu Collection to be localized. I'm not convinced it'll happen, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

User Info: HappyBiscuit

HappyBiscuit
1 month ago#6
Thanks for all you're help guys! Loving Pokemon X so far, can't wait for the Ultra Sun or moon (not sure which one I'll get) comes out next month!
Creator of the Culdcept Central Discord's Culdra Bot, Come watch me play and teach you Culdcept - https://www.twitch.tv/OldWillowScrub

User Info: StarchyShark978

StarchyShark978
1 month ago#7
If you liked the GBC games you should try out HeartGold & SoulSilver. They're Johto remakes meaning you can go to Johto and Kanto with the much newer graphics, mechanics, and other features (including new legendary encounters). It also includes remastered music from the Gold & Silver, but if you don't like it you are able to obtain a device mid-game that allows you to hear the original music.

Also if and when you're going to battle online you should probably learn about EV's and IV's. While they're not essential for online they're a major part of competitive play and if when battling online, you put yourself at a potential disadvantage if the opponent knows about them.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Haven't played since the GBC days, what are some...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived