This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Battle maison is immpossible

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Battle maison is immpossible

User Info: Antasma1

Antasma1
3 weeks ago#1
(Now specifically super single battles) I use nothing but pseudo legendaries, I fail. I do the same but replace one of the with liligant to spam teeter dance, quiver dance, and mega drain, I fail. I raise 2 Gliscor without attacks, just stat boosts and batan pass hoping to stack, I realize there is a one of each rule, so I use one. Not bad, but I failed again. The oddest thing is, despite how much muscle I use, one of the biggest problem is the other trainer has stronger hits them me. Sometimes my mega Garchomp gets gets one shotted, but a Leafeon can withstand its Draco Meteor. I max out the pokemon I use in battle maison, trust me.

User Info: ghost_tails

ghost_tails
3 weeks ago#2
To be clear, when you say you "max out" your Pokemon, you mean that you're giving them optimal IVs, EVs, Nature, Ability, and held item?
Warning: User is known to the state of California to get preachy.
Official - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Antasma1
3 weeks ago#3
IDK, held item, super trained, and at least level 50

Antasma1
3 weeks ago#4
And I chose moves very specifically. Ones that go with STAB, regular or special attack preference, and super effective against bad match ups. Example: Garchomp: Draco meteor, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Hone Claws (Guarantees stone edge and Draco Meteor)

ghost_tails
3 weeks ago#5
You're thinking kind of on the right lines, but if you really want to do well at the Battle Maison, you'll NEED to understand IVs, EVs, and Natures. You can really make a Pokemon powerful by optimizing all of those, and that's exactly what the Pokemon in the Maison have. You need to have those in hand just to be on a level playing field with the later battles.

I also recommend you take a closer look at the physical/special split. Garchomp should not be using Draco Meteor. Dragon Claw is a better choice, or maybe Dual Chop (I forget what the exact effects of these are). If you can get it, Outrage is amazing, but it requires you to breed the move onto a new Gible from another Pokemon that knows the move, like Goodra.

Hopefully that helps. Try to look these up on your own, but if you're having difficulty understanding anything, feel free to PM me. I'm a bit busy these days with a writing contest, but I can lend a hand every so often.
Official - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Antasma1
3 weeks ago#6
ghost_tails posted...
You're thinking kind of on the right lines, but if you really want to do well at the Battle Maison, you'll NEED to understand IVs, EVs, and Natures. You can really make a Pokemon powerful by optimizing all of those, and that's exactly what the Pokemon in the Maison have. You need to have those in hand just to be on a level playing field with the later battles.

I also recommend you take a closer look at the physical/special split. Garchomp should not be using Draco Meteor. Dragon Claw is a better choice, or maybe Dual Chop (I forget what the exact effects of these are). If you can get it, Outrage is amazing, but it requires you to breed the move onto a new Gible from another Pokemon that knows the move, like Goodra.

Hopefully that helps. Try to look these up on your own, but if you're having difficulty understanding anything, feel free to PM me. I'm a bit busy these days with a writing contest, but I can lend a hand every so often.

I'm aware about Draco meteor, but I thought I remember doing the math (well, as mega) and draco should still do more damage

User Info: Way2fonky

Way2fonky
3 weeks ago#7
But Draco Meteor also halves Garchomp's special attack with every use until it switches, so if you're not picking up KOs or putting huge enough dents in your opponent to allow you to finish it off next turn, then you're crippling yourself. Besides that, by going with one of the recommended physical Dragon moves (Dragon Claw is the best option IMHO), you can maximize Garchomp's stats even more. You can invest all of your EVs into physical attack and speed instead of splitting EVs across physical and special.

If you're comfortable breeding another Garchomp, you can breed one with a nature that nerfs special attack and boosts another stat (preferably attack with Adamant or speed with Jolly). You will notice the positive difference if you do this.

As far as Gliscor goes, get one with the Poison Heal ability, put a Toxic Orb and Protect on it, and watch it never die to anything without Ice Moves.
FC: 4828 5952 9854
Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Rock Safari with Nosepass, Magcargo and Rhydon

Antasma1
3 weeks ago#8
Draco meteor is my only special move though

User Info: Way2fonky

Way2fonky
3 weeks ago#9
I know. That's why you should drop it and go full physical. Garchomp's special attack stat is mediocre.

Also, Iron Head is better coverage for Garchomp since it's super effective against two weaknesses instead of one (Ice and Fairy instead of Ice) and has perfect accuracy. By dropping DM and SE and replacing them with full accuracy moves, you can replace Hone Claws with Swords Dance and double its attack after one turn.
FC: 4828 5952 9854
Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Rock Safari with Nosepass, Magcargo and Rhydon

ghost_tails
3 weeks ago#10
If you need more special attacks, use a Pokemon that has a high special attack stat. Gardevoir does really well, especially if you can bring it over to ORAS long enough to learn Hyper Voice - a move that becomes Fairy-type with Mega Gardevoir's Pixilate Ability, and can hit Pokemon behind Substitute.

It's good that you're thinking about physical and special attacks, but in general you never want to put a special attack on a Pokemon with a significantly higher Attack stat, or a physical attack on a Pokemon with a significantly higher Special Attack. There are a choice few Pokemon that can work with both, but you don't see them used much.

For the record, here's the team I typically use for Singles, though I might be forgetting a couple details 'cause I've been doing S/M lately.

Huntail - defensive wall
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 Sp. DEF
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: I forget, probably whichever one is +DEF/-ATK.
Moves: Toxic, Protect, Super Fang (ORAS exclusive), Brine
This set allows me to take a lot of physical hits. Typically I use Toxic first, then Protect, then Super Fang, then Protect. If all goes well, the other Pokemon has been knocked out by Toxic. Brine is there to clean up any leftover messes if I need it. I have taken out whole teams many times with just this Huntail.

Garchomp - physical sweeper
Item: Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPD
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly (+SPD/-Sp. ATK)
Moves: Fire Fang, Stone Edge, Outrage, Earthquake
As a sweeper, Garchomp's job is to quickly knock out enemies, ideally before taking a hit. If it does get hit, Rough Skin is sometimes enough to turn a battle in my favor. The Choice Band might lock me into an unhelpful move, but it ensures that I hit really hard any time I land a hit.

Gardevoir - special tank
Item: Gardevoirite
EVs: Don't remember, maybe 4 HP, 252 Sp. ATK, 252 Sp. DEF?
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
Ability: Trace (Becomes Pixilate upon Mega Evolution)
Nature: Modest (+Sp. ATK/-ATK)
Moves: Energy Ball, Psyshock (or whichever one is that special Psychic move that deals physical damage), Focus Blast, Hyper Voice (ORAS exclusive)
Gardevoir can take some special hits, but can also wreck anything that doesn't have some special defense. Hyper Voice can deal with any Substitute users, and Psyshock (I think) allows me to hit enemies with a low Defense if I need to. This helps since Gardevoir is usually my last resort. If I'm really in a pinch, I can throw out a Focus Blast and hope for the best, though I'm considering replacing this one.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Battle maison is immpossible

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived