This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you figure out what stat a pokemon doesn't need when iv breeding?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. How do you figure out what stat a pokemon doesn't need when iv breeding?

User Info: idontknowatall

idontknowatall
1 month ago#1
I've been reading up lots of very informative pages about breeding and iv breeding. But there are ppl saying that when iv breeding, this pokemon can do without SpA bit needs attack. So if that's the case, how can you tell when a pokemon should have either attack/SpA and defense/SpD?

User Info: ghost_tails

ghost_tails
1 month ago#2
Generally this is done when planning out your team, but for many Pokemon there's a definitive "right" answer. For example, Alakazam isn't ever going to be using physical attacks (at least, not if you want to win) so when breeding Abra, make your ATK as low as possible. Ferrothorn benefits from being slow thanks to things like Gyro Ball and Trick Room, so when breeding Ferroseed, make SPD as low as possible.

Most of the time, your dump stat will be either ATK or Sp. ATK, and sometimes SPD in addition to one of those to. This is because the only Pokemon that need both ATK and Sp. ATK to be high are mixed attackers, who use both physical and special attacks. Everybody else, which is to say the vast majority of Pokemon, works best when they focus on only one of those types of attack. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good reason to have your dump stat be HP, DEF, or Sp. DEF.

So in summary, to determine what IVs you want to be high, find out what types of attacks the Pokemon will be using, and what role it serves on the team.
Warning: User is known to the state of California to get preachy.
Official - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

idontknowatall
1 month ago#3
ghost_tails posted...
Generally this is done when planning out your team, but for many Pokemon there's a definitive "right" answer. For example, Alakazam isn't ever going to be using physical attacks (at least, not if you want to win) so when breeding Abra, make your ATK as low as possible. Ferrothorn benefits from being slow thanks to things like Gyro Ball and Trick Room, so when breeding Ferroseed, make SPD as low as possible.

Most of the time, your dump stat will be either ATK or Sp. ATK, and sometimes SPD in addition to one of those to. This is because the only Pokemon that need both ATK and Sp. ATK to be high are mixed attackers, who use both physical and special attacks. Everybody else, which is to say the vast majority of Pokemon, works best when they focus on only one of those types of attack. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good reason to have your dump stat be HP, DEF, or Sp. DEF.

So in summary, to determine what IVs you want to be high, find out what types of attacks the Pokemon will be using, and what role it serves on the team.

@ghost_tails, thank you, I may have to rebreed vulpix then since it's 5iv with no spdef.

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
1 month ago#4
Right, Vulpix probably wants 5IV sans Attack.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

idontknowatall
1 month ago#5
I do need some advice though. Will I eventually get:

Vulpix
Timid
Drought
Hp, Def, SpA, SpD, and speed

If I use:

Vulpix (F)
Rash
Drought
Hp, att, speed
Destiny knot

Vulpix (M)
Timid
Drought
Hp, def, SpA, SoD
Everstone

User Info: ghost_tails

ghost_tails
1 month ago#6
Yes, that combination will eventually result in what you're looking for. However, you should change out your parents any time a child of the same gender has better IVs, so if you get a female with HP, Sp. ATK, and SPD, use that one as your new mother.

Make sure that your parents always have the five IVs you're looking for between them, and make sure the mother always has Drought. And of course be sure that your parents have the correct items. This will greatly reduce the time you spend breeding.
Warning: User is known to the state of California to get preachy.
Official - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. How do you figure out what stat a pokemon doesn't need when iv breeding?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived