Do you think archiving topics kills message boards?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Do you think archiving topics kills message boards?

User Info: Lunitik56

Lunitik56
6 months ago#1
Visiting a message board for an old video game is like going to a barren wasteland. Really wish threads were kept open longer especially on older games to promote discussion, obviously older games aren't visited as much, therefore a topic is pretty much guaranteed to be archived in the minimum amount of time. Wish i could ask a question and know that it will be left open for future gamers to answer or discuss for months or years to come
"When I sit at a table and I need to bet 3 or 4 hundred thousand in a hand, and Im bluffing, I just dont care." - Phil Ivey

User Info: Unown_201

Unown_201
6 months ago#2
On very slow boards the archive schedule does seem a problem, and with boards that have less than 6 messages topics are archived after just 10 days, which is way too short and seemingly designed to keep boards dead.

With boards with 6-100 topics the schedule is 30 days, which is clearly far better than just 10, but ideally could be more.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/help/19-rules-and-standards

Ideally would like to see some changes on the lower end of the schedule, something like:

1-25 messages: 90 days.
26-50 mesages: 60 days.
51-100 messages: 30 days.
"Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both ways anyway."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1282-alternative-science-and-history

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
6 months ago#3
Never made sense to me why it archives so fast on dead boards.
These ideas have always been voted down by the site, for whatever reason.
But this is another example of an idea that I vote on and sign everytime it is suggested.

So yeah, signs in support for lengthening the first one from 30 days to some longer time frame at the very least.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: billyb2004

billyb2004
6 months ago#4
Archiving does not necessarily kill the boards. Over time some boards die out, especially if the game gets old and people stop playing it. Yeah, it might be nice if the topics could stay open longer on some slower boards but the site provides plenty of other active boards where you can always make topics to hope to get replies much sooner, as opposed to making the topic on the dead board and hoping to get a reply within a month or longer. Leaving the topics open for longer might not necessarily help to increase any activity on those boards.

Anytime a topic about the archive rate is brought up here, it's usually for the same reasons which are good reasons but unless the admins decide they want to alter the purge/archive rate, a suggestion topic rarely convinces the admins to make any such changes. I'm not speaking on their behalf but most of the time, at least the last time Allen stated this (https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/72097198#15) there were no plans on changing the archive rate. That was nearly two years ago but it might not be high on their list of things to change if they were to consider it.
You can observe a lot just by watching.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1050-achievement-and-trophy-hunters

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
6 months ago#5
Archiving doesn't speed up threads closing -- before archiving they'd close as quickly, but the thread would be completely GONE when that happened.

I do agree that threads should stay open longer on smaller boards, though. Ideally they'd always stay open (at least on smaller boards) so people don 't have to keep bumping threads, but the mods will not do that. :/
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Who cares about graphics when the gameplay is awesome?

User Info: Lunitik56

Lunitik56
6 months ago#6
billyb2004 posted...
Archiving does not necessarily kill the boards. Over time some boards die out, especially if the game gets old and people stop playing it. Yeah, it might be nice if the topics could stay open longer on some slower boards but the site provides plenty of other active boards where you can always make topics to hope to get replies much sooner, as opposed to making the topic on the dead board and hoping to get a reply within a month or longer. Leaving the topics open for longer might not necessarily help to increase any activity on those boards.

Anytime a topic about the archive rate is brought up here, it's usually for the same reasons which are good reasons but unless the admins decide they want to alter the purge/archive rate, a suggestion topic rarely convinces the admins to make any such changes. I'm not speaking on their behalf but most of the time, at least the last time Allen stated this (https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/72097198#15) there were no plans on changing the archive rate. That was nearly two years ago but it might not be high on their list of things to change if they were to consider it.

What does archiving topics actually accomplish? There is a reason that Gamefaqs does this, Im just not sure exactly what that reason is
"When I sit at a table and I need to bet 3 or 4 hundred thousand in a hand, and Im bluffing, I just dont care." - Phil Ivey

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
6 months ago#7
The reason is that you can go back and look at older posts that are useful but have closed for whatever reason.

Many older games have data diving threads (I should know, I've created a few) that have valuable info -- but they wound up closing, whether from lack of responses or from hitting 500. They still have vital info, though, so it's a good thing they're archives and not permagone.
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Who cares about graphics when the gameplay is awesome?

User Info: Unown_201

Unown_201
6 months ago#8
billyb2004 posted...

Its not just about game boards though, community boards have now been added (within the last two years) and most have fairly low activity.

The archive schedule right now makes it very difficult for a new community board to keep active topics open long enough for potential visitors to reply.

Making several topics sticky is the only real way to keep them open, but that is more just a work around to avoid archiving and not what stickies are really meant for (important announcements etc).
"Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both ways anyway."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1282-alternative-science-and-history
DumpsterMcNuggets 6 months ago#9
It's funny that a year or 2 ago, I suggested on Site Suggestions that the rule that a thread archives without additional post activity if there are under 6 posts within 10 days, should be eased. Ideally I'd ease that rule to at least 4 or 5 posts for it to fall under the 30 day rule where it stays active, over the annoying 10 day archiving rule. But that's just me.

I'm not a mod of course, but it frustrates me that it's hard to see successful threads on slower boards because of that rule, right after a thread is created. It'd be great if I didn't have to very often make 5 additional posts on my own after the first post of a thread I created, so that it hit the 30 day mark for threads with 6 posts or more where it stays active.
#BoycottIMDB , & check out these boards: http://www.moviechat.org/ (1 of my 2 fav alternate sites)
http://imdb2.freeforums.net/ (other fav IMDB alternate)

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
6 months ago#10
Does anyone know why these kinds of ideas keep getting shot down? Is it difficult to modify the times before archiving?
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Do you think archiving topics kills message boards?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived