Suggestion: Add a setting to make emojis display as text

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Suggestion: Add a setting to make emojis display as text

User Info: MikeRiley

MikeRiley
1 week ago#1
Call me old fashioned, but I like how clean image-free text is. I still use Trillian, and have emojis "disabled" there, so when one is sent, I see the smiley face text rather than the image itself. Some emojis are also... messy/busy, making it difficult sometimes to determine what meaning is intended by them. That is rarely the case with text.

So, it seems a simple addition to me: it would be nice if we had a message board setting that would make emojis appear as text instead.
The world is full of idiots, and someone needs to point it out to them or they will never know. - Becker

User Info: Ludwig Von 2

Ludwig Von 2
1 week ago#2
I am wondering how much work this would be for the site designers? If it is a lot of work for such a small benefit I’m not sure if it would be worth it 🤔
My luck works best when things are... random. Mat Cauthon from The Dragon Reborn

MikeRiley
1 week ago#3
Assuming there are specific emojis that are usable, it should be fairly simple to replace the images with text. Then again, I don't know how the site works.

The emoji you used is an example of a messy one - I had to lean in pretty close to see that that brown smear was a hand rubbing the chin. Maybe it looks better in... 800x600 or something.
The world is full of idiots, and someone needs to point it out to them or they will never know. - Becker

User Info: Unown_201

Unown_201
1 week ago#4
The emoji are part of unicode, and there are probably many thousands of them. Its not just a few smiley faces.

How would you do stuff like these:

👑 🔧 🐥 🏠 ♐ 💳 🔨 ⚾ 🗼 🗽 🏫 🎣 🚮 ⏰ ⏳ 💯 💰 💱 💼 🐢

And that is just a tiny, tiny fraction of what is avaliable.
"Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both ways anyway."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1282-alternative-science-and-history
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Ludwig Von 2

Ludwig Von 2
1 week ago#5
Curious, what type of device are you using to view gamefaqs? You mentioned my emoji was a brown smear. It’s actually yellow so I’m guessing what you are using is an older device correct?
My luck works best when things are... random. Mat Cauthon from The Dragon Reborn

MikeRiley
1 week ago#6
No, a PC with 1920 x 1080 resolution, and the monitor is HDMI so I'm seeing the right colors as well. The emojis are quite small, about the size of the mouse cursor. The brown smear I was referring to was the hand part of the emoji - not the whole thing. Given that the hand is such a light shade of brown, has tiny, intricate, parts (a 2 pixel thumb and finger, looks like), it appears against the yellow as a smear. Without zooming in or getting up close, it could be anything.

That said, I didn't know there were that many emojis, so my suggestion very obviously won't work.

User Info: ToiletDuck64

ToiletDuck64
1 week ago#7
*signs*

One of the main problems I've encountered with emoji is that they normally don't respect font colors. However...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji#Emoji_versus_text_presentation

Maybe the system should just apply U+FE0E to each emoji, to force them to display as "text" symbols instead of "emoji" symbols. It might not be a perfect solution as far as readability goes, but it would at least make them easier to see against the background.
Watch this space...
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
1 week ago#8
*sign*

It'd be even better to just admit that adding emojis was a mistake and get rid of them, but that's not going to happen.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Suggestion: Add a setting to make emojis display as text

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.