Finally just started this game...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Finally just started this game...

User Info: KingofAnime1066

KingofAnime1066
1 year ago#1
...After having it sit in my backlog for so long. Since this seems like a very open ended game, is there any general advice for one just starting off so I don't end up blind throughout the whole game? I've been playing for 4 hours and have done nothing except punched a bunch of animals to death and collected half of Mother Nature in my pockets.

I'm a tad rusty with combat because I'm just coming off of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, so I keep making dumb button presses lol.
President of Pokemon Forever, no recount

User Info: Suicide_Jester

Suicide_Jester
1 year ago#2
Don't go around grinding monsters for XP, you won't get much. Do quests instead. Be careful with your gold in the early game. You'll find weapons and armor in chests and for finishing quests, so just spend gold on repairing your equipment. Eventually you'll be able to craft witcher gear which is the best stuff in the game.
http://i.imgur.com/1H8TIxh.jpg

KingofAnime1066
1 year ago#3
Ok thanks for that, I wasn't sure how leveling necessarily worked and am glad I don't need to grind on drowners and stuff. So should I focus more on quests than exploration?

User Info: Suicide_Jester

Suicide_Jester
1 year ago#4
Exploration in the starting area (white orchard) is probably a good idea since you will find crafting schematics for the 2 viper swords, the first actual witcher gear you can get. Once found you have to go to a blacksmith to craft them.
http://i.imgur.com/1H8TIxh.jpg

User Info: Shadystone

Shadystone
1 year ago#5
Suicide_Jester posted...
Exploration in the starting area (white orchard) is probably a good idea since you will find crafting schematics for the 2 viper swords, the first actual witcher gear you can get. Once found you have to go to a blacksmith to craft them.

I got them but do i keep them and keep upgrading them or sell them once i get something better?

User Info: SaintAkira7

SaintAkira7
1 year ago#6
KingofAnime1066 posted...
Ok thanks for that, I wasn't sure how leveling necessarily worked and am glad I don't need to grind on drowners and stuff. So should I focus more on quests than exploration?

Yes. Focus on the main quest for the most xp gains. Of course, do side quests and Witcher contracts, etc. that are at or slightly above your recommended level as well. But the bulk of your xp is going to come from the quests. Leveling is very slow at the start.

Shadystone posted...
Suicide_Jester posted...

I got them but do i keep them and keep upgrading them or sell them once i get something better?

You won't be able to upgrade those. Once you get something statistically better, use it. Eventually you'll start getting the other diagrams for Witcher gear/swords and you'll stick with, and upgrade, those that suit your build. But until you get to level 11, when you can use the Griffin school gear, just use whatever has the best stats.

Starting off in this game is slow. It takes forever to level up initially. It put me off the game at first. Stick with it and it's very rewarding once you get past the initial exp curve.
PSN: SaintAkira42

KingofAnime1066
1 year ago#7
Yeah those Viper School Weapons look very nice. That wraith took a couple attempts to get down, but it had a simple AI pattern despite its high level advantage. Now to come across a weapon blacksmith, already befriended the dwarf armorer.

I take it selling to appropriate vendors mets a higher rate of income? Cuz he's only offering crap for my unwanted weapons, but gave a lot for unwanted armor.

User Info: SaintAkira7

SaintAkira7
1 year ago#8
Yes. Sell armor to armour smiths and swords to sword smiths. Plants/crafting stuff you'll get better rates at herbalists, depending what you're selling. Definitely sell to the correct vendor to maximize income, especially early when getting coin can be a pain.
PSN: SaintAkira42

KingofAnime1066
1 year ago#9
Alright, I've still yet to advance too far story wise, focusing on finding all the unexplored territories. So far, I've yet to encounter any herbalists and weaponsmiths, but I hope I come across them soon.

User Info: BeefEaster

BeefEaster
1 year ago#10
the quests will take you to most areas of the map over the course of the game

if you go to some areas too early the enemies are way above your level and can kill you easily
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/004_zpskcg7thdf.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Finally just started this game...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived