Never underestimate Quen!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Never underestimate Quen!

User Info: Goldenrodradio

Goldenrodradio
9 months ago#1
I was having very little issues with this game, especially since I'm playing on easy, but then I tried to do the Swamp Thing contract as a level 9 (recommended level 12) and was just getting my ass handed to me.

That's when I remembered quen. So for the first time in my so far ten hours of playing, I popped a thunderbolt and a quen and the little s*** swamp baby was dead in seconds!

This game is awesome.

User Info: bmouse6

bmouse6
9 months ago#2
True, but you can also prioritize learning enemy patterns, which are very easy in this game, and polishing your dodge skills, rather than relying on Quen to save your ass.
PSN: bmouse
Names are for friends, so I don't need one.

User Info: Mungefuddler

Mungefuddler
9 months ago#3
Yep, I was having trouble with a couple of fights until I started utilising quen. Very useful.
PSN: DavidoffDonut

User Info: VermilionX

VermilionX
9 months ago#4
been very useful since witcher 1
Capcom ID: Zerokage me and my bike! GSX-R750 K6
https://s20.postimg.org/pnpy1roln/DSC03916.jpg

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
9 months ago#5
It makes the game too easy.
If you get those two talents for adrenaline and signs (casting signs with adrenaline points and sign casting generates adrenaline) it becomes ridiculous.
And grandmaster ursine set has the 33% bonus chance of recasting quen for free when your current one breaks.
Add the first quen talent of it being pushback when it breaks and you get an unstoppable plowing machine.
Ursine set also has huge adrenaline bonuses.

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
9 months ago#6
Also, I forgot about the dodge/roll talent.
Taking 0 damage while dodging/rolling is just game breaking.

User Info: pcutta

pcutta
9 months ago#7
I played on easy because I didn't understand the mechanics( got used to spamming magic in dragon age inquisition before playing this) but I've been loving the combat recently. I'm playing on blood and bones now and I don't think I would have survived the second wild hunt boss battle without quen. I'm wondering should I respec and put points into it because the descriptions for the upgrades are a little confusing or vague.
Titan973 (psn)
Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2,

User Info: terran3999999

terran3999999
9 months ago#8
^Only if you like the upgrades otherwise just using a base level Quen is still good enough. But maybe I can explain it better.

Every Quen(and Signs) skill you have equipped will raise the rate of how fast your Stamina regens by a small margin. I would say ignore the last two skills of Quen since they are useless and too situational for general use.

Exploding Shield Quen makes it so that when your Quen Sign expires or get used by it unleashes a shockwave that pushes enemies back. Rank 2 deals small damage to enemies. Rank 3 also has a small chance of knocking down enemies. It's an ok skill.

Active Shield Quen is amazing and might be a little too broken. You hold down the Sign button and Geralt will put up a Quen that lets him block damage AND heal him when it blocks! Rank 1 and 2 uses Stamina to maintain the cast while Rank 3 costs no Stamina to maintain the cast.

Hope I helped.
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.

User Info: pcutta

pcutta
9 months ago#9
terran3999999 posted...
^Only if you like the upgrades otherwise just using a base level Quen is still good enough. But maybe I can explain it better.

Every Quen(and Signs) skill you have equipped will raise the rate of how fast your Stamina regens by a small margin. I would say ignore the last two skills of Quen since they are useless and too situational for general use.

Exploding Shield Quen makes it so that when your Quen Sign expires or get used by it unleashes a shockwave that pushes enemies back. Rank 2 deals small damage to enemies. Rank 3 also has a small chance of knocking down enemies. It's an ok skill.

Active Shield Quen is amazing and might be a little too broken. You hold down the Sign button and Geralt will put up a Quen that lets him block damage AND heal him when it blocks! Rank 1 and 2 uses Stamina to maintain the cast while Rank 3 costs no Stamina to maintain the cast.

Hope I helped.

That was a big help! I know what to do for my new game plus run when I'm done with the dlc
Titan973 (psn)
Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2,

User Info: hul

hul
9 months ago#10
Upgrading Quen also increases the amount of damage it can absorb - same for both forms - at a high level a single quen can absorb many low level wolf attacks before it explodes.

If a big monster does a big attack to you the damage you take = monster damage - remaining absorb ability on the Quen.

Adding Quen runes, or increasing general sign intensity also increases the damage absorbing ability.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Never underestimate Quen!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived