About the witchers' sword fighting style...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. About the witchers' sword fighting style...

User Info: azureflame89

azureflame89
10 months ago#1
I know witchers have a code and that applies to fight too but has none of them noticed how useless their ballerina dancer impressions are during sword fights?

*Wolf attacks*

*Geralt spins forward, does a sommersault, taps dances, backflips, twirls his sword, breakdances*

*Wolf hits*

*Geralt slashes and misses*

Yeah, it is a minor gripe and I find it more humorous than annoying but I thought only JRPGs put so much fancy footwork on their character's fighting styles. It looks cool as hell but I find weird that Geralt attacks with simple thrusts and slashes outside of combat but during combat he thinks he is on a dance off.

Awesome game though. It has been a long time since I had to force myself to turn off the console.
"A god is not as almighty as I had expected" Lezard Valeth
PSN: azureflame89

User Info: Phil_Resch

Phil_Resch
10 months ago#2
Actually, witchers don't have a code. They do have typical fighting style they are taught during their training, but they don't have a precise ethical code - although it's true they usually try not to get involved in politics. They say they do to always have an excuse ready in case they don't want to take a job.

Witchers' fighting style is mostly based on agility and swiftness, that explains all the dancing around and pirouettes. Since they don't use shields, it's all about evading attacks and confusing enemies with unpredictable moves. Sapkowski, in the books, goes in great detail in describing Geralt's swordplay. Perhaps in the games it comes off as needlessly flashy, but it's the way it is for lore reasons.
Google is your friend, use it.

User Info: Berserker1_5

Berserker1_5
10 months ago#3
I think that's mostly there for visual. You already see some people complaining because the combat does not have that "omg crazy move"

Younger audience prefer seeing the hero fly around, doing DBZ stuff rather than actual sword play. Even if said flying and Dbz moves require only one button.

As far as the lore is concerned, Witcher are physically much stronger and and faster than humans are. I wouldn't surprised if Geralt can do an entire spin before the enemy can fully react.

Finally, it's just a fantasy world. Sometimes we just got to accept all the inconsistencies in a game for the sake of consistent gameplay.
Mutation took us from single-celled organisms to being the dominant form of reproductive life on this planet. Infinite forms of variation with each generation

User Info: resevil67

resevil67
10 months ago#4
It's true it's how he is supposed to fight, but it is annoying that you dodge a move, and Geralt counter after dodge is so slow the enemy has time to hit you still before the attack lands XD

User Info: terran3999999

terran3999999
10 months ago#5
What better way to kill someone than to trick him into thinking he's doing a dance off?
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.

User Info: Servare

Servare
10 months ago#6
It's one of the most ridiculous "fighting styles" I've ever seen. Dude... just swing the sword... stop dancing.
Fons sapientiae, verbum Dei.
"You Can Always Count On Me." - Abacus AmIRighta

User Info: SaintAkira7

SaintAkira7
10 months ago#7
You should read about his fighting moves in the books. It's described step for step. What each leg is doing, how he's pivoting, etc. It's like reading a story about someone dancing, but with swords killing people. Good stuff, and cdpr did about as good a job translating the fanciful prose regarding Geralt's sword-play maneuvers into the game as one could want.

So PSA for newcomers: check out the books.
PSN: SaintAkira42

User Info: NinjaCaterpilar

NinjaCaterpilar
10 months ago#8
SaintAkira7 posted...
Good stuff, and cdpr did about as good a job translating the fanciful prose regarding Geralt's sword-play maneuvers into the game as one could want.

Possibly the poshest sentence ever posted on GameFAQs
Well too bad. Because you've sown the wind, and now you shall reap... the Barry.
PSN : PsychoCyborg1909 - King Sh*t of F*ck Mountain

User Info: azureflame89

azureflame89
10 months ago#9
I assume everyone knows about the books and all but this is a game. And in the game it is really impractical. If he had invincibility frames during is spins it would make total sense but the truth is his fancy moves only lead to get hit over and over when starting a combo. Sure, it is not that bad during 1v1 fights but every damn time I fight several enemies I try to attack one and another hits me while Geralt is counterattacking.

Oddly enough, this problem makes weaker enemies that attack in mobs like wolves or nekkers harder for me because I cannot find any window of opportunity to attack without getting hit. I tend to abuse signs to avoid damage but then I start to jump around everywhere making the ballerina dancer comparison ever funnier.
"A god is not as almighty as I had expected" Lezard Valeth
PSN: azureflame89

User Info: VermilionX

VermilionX
10 months ago#10
i don't care

it looks cool for the camera

realistic is usually boring
Capcom ID: Zerokage me and my bike! GSX-R750 K6
https://s20.postimg.org/pnpy1roln/DSC03916.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. About the witchers' sword fighting style...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived