Would you recommended this, if...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  3. Would you recommended this, if...

User Info: chaosinfusion

chaosinfusion
2 years ago#11
You_Need_A_Life posted…
So in the first game, the majority of enemies you encounter can single-handedly kill you. Full health to dead in the blink of an eye. They can easily be killed as well,

This may explain why I see so many complaints about enemy health in the current NG. However, OT and/or SoB are available to OHKO most enemies under the right conditions - conditions which can be established by the player through application of... tactics.

[in NG1], you had to watch the enemy, dodge their attacks and make an opening to pick them off one by one. They'd trade off and attack you from different directions as well, so you needed to track them all, dodge the right enemies at the right times, and use the best-suited combos and attacks for the best situations.

This could easily read as a description of NG3RE, albeit not while standing still!

It was far less about speed and agility and more about careful application of tactics.

I wonder... if we remove a certain game-breaking combo from the equation, does your assessment of the tactical requirement (or absence thereof) still stand? Scythe 360T can reduce practically every encounter to the same basic input. To call it "easy" would be an oversimplification, because success in the higher difficulty modes requires sufficient situational awareness to correctly manage i-frames and recovery. However, if this is the standard, I could agree with the generalization that the amount of strategic effort demanded of the player is small.

In order to succeed in NG3RE without over-reliance on one game-breaking combo, one needs fast reflexes and good tactics. Is it frantic? Yeah it is! I just have trouble seeing speed as a negative indicator of skill.

This game and the original NGII are much more speed-based and more reliant on agility. Instead of facing a few truly deadly enemies, you faced clusters of relatively weak individual enemies that made up a very deadly force when combined. Instead of holding ground and looking for a break in defense, the name of the game is constantly moving and slicing your way through the crowd, and then picking the wounded off one by one.

I concur that, modulo a few specific one-on-one situations, playing defense is not very effective. It is vital to stay on the offensive, using crowd control tactics to keep nearby enemies in recovery, control the pace of the fight and open up a wider variety of options. One false move, and it may be difficult to regain control of the flow - even if one hit won't fatally drain a full life bar, low health puts the player at an extreme disadvantage.

I regard the execution of a good offensive as a tactical matter because different enemies - or combinations thereof - require different approaches. If defensive tactics do not work, but offensive tactics do, it does not necessarily follow that the latter equates with "less skill-based". Just... different.

The same tactics in the first game are dangerous to use because enemies are much faster and more aggressive, so you need to keep moving and overpower their attack rate with your own.

It's still a hard game, but not in the same way as the original, and far less satisfying in terms of having to work for the win. If you just keep going through the motions, you'll beat 2 & RE with relative ease, whereas 1 requires genuine tactics and patience to overcome.

"Relative ease?" ji-high might be right that you've gotten too good at the game. ;-)

What does it mean to "beat" NG3RE? Are we talking about Story Mode or Trial Mode? With or without i-frame abuse? In the case of Trials, solo or with a partner? In other words, does beating the game in all of its permutations call for "less skill" than NG1 in your estimation?

User Info: gumx

gumx
2 years ago#12
if u want a no 360T sycthe game play the wii U version. doesn't have it (: for anyone looking for a harder game with OP glitches and lag in multiplayer even with good connection.

skill wise i feel the NG games all require the same skill. it is whether u r good with the mechanics. for example me... maybe because i played NG3RE first i play NGS it was pretty hard for me since i felt it was pretty slow and better off blocking. i found out a was a better aggressor than a defender.

so it all comes down to whether u r a aggressor or a defender player. and how much time u spend on the game. obviously i have more skill in NG3RE because i spend over 120+ hrs in it. while NGS probably around 20hrs. just saying.

User Info: chaosinfusion

chaosinfusion
2 years ago#13
Hey - I meant to ask you earlier...

Does the Wii U version play at 1080p (natively, I mean... not merely upscaled 720p)? I've hesitated to buy it out of concern that Team Ninja never patched it to make it equivalent to the PS3/Xbox360 versions, but... being a sucker for eye candy, this could sway me to go a few rounds on that platform. :-)

For the record, I don't think there is a "right" answer to the "which one requires more skill" question. Shouldn't matter anyway, so long as one is having a good time. I just find it interesting to explore what "skill" means to different people, and that can be hard to nail down when there are many different possible ways for individual players to approach a very difficult game.

User Info: gumx

gumx
2 years ago#14
i am not sure about playing at 1080p. the wiiU does have the option for 1080p in system menu. but in game it looks good imo not sure if it is as good as the PS360 ver. i'll ask friends who has both copies it and give a response tmr. or if this could answer your question the wii U NG3RE version is at 1.3.0 with only DLC for 100 nt. extra costumes for all and that is about it.

edit. this may answer your question? (: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBSYZPuRd5o

well i guess we could all agree NG3RE is a game not for everyone lol or NG in general.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  3. Would you recommended this, if...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived