Getting back into Gran Turismo 6 really shows off how awesome the PS3 was

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gran Turismo 6
  3. Getting back into Gran Turismo 6 really shows off how awesome the PS3 was

User Info: jayj350

jayj350
8 months ago#1
I grew up with Gran Turismo, heck it was the first racing game I got when I got my PS1 as a child and easily one of my favorite games growing up. Back in those days I didn't take it too seriously but the scale of what they had to offer was amazing at the time. In the PS2 gen it still stood out as the racing series of choice, but then the 360/PS3 gen happened and Forza took off while Gran Turismo just seemed to go nowhere.

Fast forward about a decade and I just look back at Gran Turismo 5 as the last GT game I really played and even then it just wasn't as appealing as it was on the PS1 and PS2. Gran Turismo 6 was just something I briefly played because the PS4 and Xbox One launched soon after it came out and I was too busy with next gen to play any of those old PS3/360 games.

Well now I kind felt like getting back into some of those PS3 games I put in my backlog, and GT6 is one of the highlights for me. I went to grab my disc but somehow I lost it, luckily they have the download version available for $15 so I just downloaded that which is nice because the installing/updating was quite extensive with the blu-ray release. My old save was there, hadn't really touched it since 2014, lol. I had all kinds of gift cars they handed out for the 15'th anniversary, but it looks like you had to of been there for their concept cars so I did miss out on some free stuff by being away. Still, better than nothing and it made it so I could just dive right back in.

Immediately I just started farming cash by doing the seasonal events so I could upgrade the cars in my garage, literally spent about a day playing this game already just working on the cars I already had, lol. This game is like crack for me.

As a Forza fan, I gotta say I truly love this game for offering a different take on a sim racer. I mean Forza 6 makes this game look pretty bad in terms of graphics but GT6 is so lovingly crafted and the cars are so well represented that it still stands out in it's own way. I even love the old simple car models as it brings me back to the old Gran Turismo games I grew up, I guess you can say this game has a good nostalgia factor for me as well, and the music is better than any racing game by far, it makes it relaxing. The tuning and upgrading feels surprisingly simple to me now after playing the latest Forza games, but the way you can mess around with a power limiter and the weight makes it so you can create some very interesting results.

Overall I am glad I decided to get back into this game, it's a shame this is the last of the Gran Turismo games to be like this.

User Info: Mad_Cow46

Mad_Cow46
8 months ago#2
You must be playing an entirely different game than I did.
It's a new day. Make sure to take advantage of that.

User Info: pjnelson

pjnelson
8 months ago#3
Gran Turismo suffers the same problem as Project CARS - mixed bag of great and terrible. There's certain things GT5 and GT6 did well for the hardware and time, like the great car models built for those games, but then that was offset and ruined by the crappy PS2 models that accounted for 80% of the game. It was like having a wonderful steak and then having a bucket of donkey crap heaped beside it. The physics were fine but the gameplay sucked the chrome off a bumper. GT doesn't have races but instead strung out a parade of cars one by one half a mile ahead of you and task you with casually passing them. Worse, I kept doing GT6 "races" and they were all just me and five other cars. Yawn.
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.

User Info: BKelly95

BKelly95
8 months ago#4
pjnelson posted...
Worse, I kept doing GT6 "races" and they were all just me and five other cars. Yawn.

This is the third time you've said this and you're still wrong. The races are only limited to six cars in the first two leagues (Novice and National B) and the number of opponents increases with each league. Here is the proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llEwNpGz95k

That is a Super race, as in the last league you do. Do you see the Position counter in the upper left corner? Do you see how many there are in the race? My conclusion is that you're either outright lying or you gave up before you realized the information you're posting isn't true. Now please stop posting this misinformation.
----------
"I'm a monster!"-Buster Bluth, Arrested Development

User Info: BarbaricAvatar

BarbaricAvatar
8 months ago#5
I still find it amusing that people buy a Gran Turismo game expecting to have close offline races.
If you ran the world, it would probably be on fire right now.

jayj350
8 months ago#6
BarbaricAvatar posted...
I still find it amusing that people buy a Gran Turismo game expecting to have close offline races.

Lol online racing

All people do there is ram each other unless you do ghost driving aka time trials

User Info: BarbaricAvatar

BarbaricAvatar
8 months ago#7
jayj350 posted...
BarbaricAvatar posted...

Lol online racing

All people do there is ram each other unless you do ghost driving aka time trials

And you've just found the point via an incorrect assumption. Well done.
If you ran the world, it would probably be on fire right now.

User Info: Andrew Shinn

Andrew Shinn
8 months ago#8
gt2 had close racing, at least the closest i remember (my lotus europa vs gt40 on grindelwald - trading places for the whole final lap)
and the cars are mostly moving roadblocks, but not quite as bad as ridge racer r4 (all exactly equally spaced)
R.I.P Nicky-------------Pat---------------Mother Puss
1989-30/4/02__1988-20/11/02__198?-22/12/02

jayj350
8 months ago#9
Andrew Shinn posted...
gt2 had close racing, at least the closest i remember (my lotus europa vs gt40 on grindelwald - trading places for the whole final lap)
and the cars are mostly moving roadblocks, but not quite as bad as ridge racer r4 (all exactly equally spaced)

The racing in GT6 is great when you just go head to head with the top car, I have noticed that when I play an expert difficulty challenge, even on some of the lower difficulties you can have a lot of fun trading places with the guy in first.

But yeah, most of the grid is just an obstacle to get past, it's why the racing isn't that fun in GT unless you view it as a "pass the grid" challenge. It could be a lot better if they made you quality for position or start from a stop once in a while, but the way they have cars parade before you can start means the guy in first is sometimes half a lap ahead before you can even drive. It makes it so there is no real straight up racing most of the time.

Still, driving is so fun in this game and the tuning is deep enough to where that doesn't really matter. I mean the racing in Forza has always been mediocre but I still love to play those games. Same thing here, just doing timed laps is enough for me.
  1. Boards
  2. Gran Turismo 6
  3. Getting back into Gran Turismo 6 really shows off how awesome the PS3 was

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived