Why do I keep shifting into neutral?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gran Turismo 6
  3. Why do I keep shifting into neutral?

User Info: Max3732

Max3732
7 months ago#1
I've been driving stick shift cars ever since I started driving and have never accidentally shifted into neutral in real life, yet in this supposed simulation game it seems like 20% of my shifts end up with me being in neutral.

I'm using the Logitech G27 wheel and pedals, which I bought specifically because they have a clutch pedal and gearshift. Are there any tricks in the settings to get the clutch and gearshift to work better?

User Info: NoOne-NBA-

NoOne-NBA-
7 months ago#2
The clutch/transmission simulation in this game is absolutely HORRIBLE.
It's so bad, I gave up on it completely, even after they released the "fix" for it, back in GT5.

Basically, if you mess anything up, during the entire gear change, the game sticks the car in neutral, and requires you to start the entire shifting sequence all over from the beginning, to fix that.
I haven't found anything that will make this feature even close to tolerable, when compared to other games, sorry.
Stupidity is like insanity -- those worst afflicted by it are also the ones least likely to recognize that fact.

User Info: Max3732

Max3732
7 months ago#3
NoOne-NBA- posted...
The clutch/transmission simulation in this game is absolutely HORRIBLE.
It's so bad, I gave up on it completely, even after they released the "fix" for it, back in GT5.

Basically, if you mess anything up, during the entire gear change, the game sticks the car in neutral, and requires you to start the entire shifting sequence all over from the beginning, to fix that.
I haven't found anything that will make this feature even close to tolerable, when compared to other games, sorry.

Can you suggest a game has more realistic shifting with the clutch and gearshift?

User Info: jayj350

jayj350
7 months ago#4
Test Drive Unlimited 2 was always a fun wheel game for me on the PS3, but it's pretty old now and the clutch support wasn't perfect on that either.

I don't know what it is with games that use the clutch but they could never seem to work right, you always gotta push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and be really careful about how you time your shifts. Last time I used a wheel with a clutch was with GT5 and it was pretty bad there, has the same issue where I would wind up free revving in neutral a lot of the time when I went up for a gear.

User Info: NoOne-NBA-

NoOne-NBA-
7 months ago#5
Max3732 posted...
Can you suggest a game has more realistic shifting with the clutch and gearshift?

I play anything that is cross-platform on PC, so I can't guarantee the PS3 versions are as well supported as the PC versions I've played.

Sticking to PS3 titles, DiRT 2 and DiRT 3 should be good.
Shift 1 and 2 should be good.

I think GRiD Autosport should be good, but I'm less sure on that one.
I'm not sure at all about the WRC series as I generally use the paddle shifters on that one, with a handbrake, and the steering wheel support had major issues in general.

If you have access to any kind of PC at all, pretty much all the sims on that have better support.
rFactor 1 only requires a 3.0Ghz Pentium, for example.
The graphics are a trade-off there, but you get hundreds and hundreds of tracks in the trade.
Stupidity is like insanity -- those worst afflicted by it are also the ones least likely to recognize that fact.
  1. Boards
  2. Gran Turismo 6
  3. Why do I keep shifting into neutral?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived