Why is it called 'A Link to the Past'?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  3. Why is it called 'A Link to the Past'?

User Info: Seferaga

Seferaga
4 years ago#1
I've played the original game many times, but it never understood why it's called 'A Link to the Past'. Is it referring to Link himself, or some kind of connection? :p Was the Dark World in the past or something? I really don't know. Please don't make fun of me.

Most Zelda titles mention the key element of its game. But this one eludes me.
Don't get so caught in your ways that you can't change..

User Info: DekuFireMage

DekuFireMage
4 years ago#2
I think its the fact that the game was a prequel to the first two games and Nintendo of America felt like making a bad pun.

Heck its subtitle is "Triforce of the Gods" in Japan.
The Official Resistance of the Zelda Board
Huzzah

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
4 years ago#3
It ties back to the original idea for the game.

Link to the Past was going to have Link time travel between the ancient past and the super futuristic world, we even have sketches of Zelda as this space-age alien princess. Link would have been the link between the two times thus he was "A Link to the Past". But that idea got scrapped.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
4 years ago#4
NOA Didnt like religious references, so A Link to the Past was chosen over Triforce of the Gods.
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Favorite People- Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson

User Info: Hejiru

Hejiru
4 years ago#5
The Japanese name is "The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods." But NOA didn't want to use anything religious-sounding so they had to come up with something else.
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy

User Info: pokemega32

pokemega32
4 years ago#6
Hirokey123 posted...
It ties back to the original idea for the game.

Link to the Past was going to have Link time travel between the ancient past and the super futuristic world, we even have sketches of Zelda as this space-age alien princess. Link would have been the link between the two times thus he was "A Link to the Past". But that idea got scrapped.

That was the original concept for the the first Legend of Zelda, not A Link to the Past.
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.

User Info: Storm101

Storm101
4 years ago#7
I think the maidens were the Link to the Past. The titles also doubles as a pun on Link or something.
(message deleted)

User Info: luigi33

luigi33
4 years ago#9
It kind of makes sense in context of the downfall timeline too
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
Steam ID: xcyper33

User Info: Ultimate3DSFan

Ultimate3DSFan
4 years ago#10
I don't know why. It should be a Zelda to the Past, since Zelda's the one always saving the princess.
Been a Nintendo 3DS Owner/Ambassador since 3/27. 3DS FC: 2148-8143-8703, PM and I'll addja!
GameFAQs' #1 Impractical Jokers Fan! LARRY!
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  3. Why is it called 'A Link to the Past'?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived