Some of the insane difficulty of the challenges is just plain stupid

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
  3. Some of the insane difficulty of the challenges is just plain stupid

User Info: Rocky2418

Rocky2418
3 years ago#1
I'm currently trying to get the gold in the Advanced 2-5 of Quick Catch. You have to work your way all the way to within 4 feet of the hitter. From 15 to 4 (and there's like 4 or 5 pitches just in that span), there's so little reaction time that you're almost having to guess. And based on the fact that I cleared it with just one heart left and got silver, apparently I need to clear it with at least two hearts left. So I can miss a catch just once, having to (pretty much) guess right 4 or 5 straight times.

In summary, that's just stupid. As was Advanced 1-5 - having to be literally perfect (not just catching the liners, but in how you catch them) for 20 consecutive line drives. I truly hate Quick Catch.
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson

Rocky2418
3 years ago#2
Yeah... I can't even really see the ball under 10 feet. This is a joke.

Oh, and by the way, I eventually had a run where I cleared it and only lost one heart. I still got a silver. Apparently I got too many "okays" instead of "perfects" during the last 10 feet - what with just trying to survive and all. I'm so tired of this nonsense...
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson

Rocky2418
3 years ago#3
And now I just completed it with all my hearts intact, and only started intentionally playing it safe (getting okays) at about the 7 or 8 foot mark, so as not to lose a heart.

Silver.

User Info: georgethecow4

georgethecow4
3 years ago#4
I dunno man, I got Gold on my first try and lost a heart or two. I nailed perfects on just about every single throw though. I think that's the important thing.
3DS FC: 3136-6598-7067 Name: Andrew

User Info: Dragonflame323

Dragonflame323
3 years ago#5
Kind of felt the same way about some of the last advance stages in Feel the Glove. But I persisted till I got them. >.>
"..And that means you!"

Rocky2418
3 years ago#6
You got gold on your first try?! We're talking about Quick Catch, level 2-5 of the Advanced section, right? The one where you start 130 feet away, and move closer and closer until you're 4 feet away (basically standing on top of the hitter)?

I am speechless. I am without speech. Seems like such a feat would require superhuman reflexes (especially doing on the first try, mind you).

Anyway, I did get the gold about an hour after my last post last night. I was so relieved, and really thought that would be the hardest challenge I'd have to do. Silly me. Level 4-4 took me about 30 or 40 minutes to get gold, so I realized what that meant about 4-5. I tried 4-5 for about 30 minutes, and never once even came close to reaching the required 80 points, let alone doing it efficiently enough for a gold medal. The highest total I got was 56. See, with 4-4 (where you need 60 points), they don't start bringing you in really close until about the 40 point mark, so you "only" need 20 or so points up close. With 4-5, it starts bringing you close at around the 30 to 40 point mark; meaning you need 40 to 50 points up close. (Not 4 feet away close, but since they warp you forward and backward with each shot, it's plenty close to qualify as ridiculous.)

So far, I've cleared and gotten gold on all the Advanced stages of 4 games - Feel the Glove, Cage Match, Make the Call, and The Aim Game (and I've done so in Quick Catch for every level except the 4-5 one). I found just one stage in Make the Call to be ridiculous, and one in The Aim Game. Quick Catch alone already has 3 stages that I've found to be either as hard or much harder than those (1-5, 2-5, and 4-5). The level of difficulty seems extremely inconsistent between this game and those others - at least to me.

Let me put this in perspective, regarding my skill as a player, which I think is pretty good. I've already gotten all 19 A+ medals in the derby games (some of which were quite intense) and Bat Master. And for those that might know anything about the following games, I've also cleared "The Perfect Run" in Mega Man 9, performed the 100-consecutive Super Jump in Super Mario RPG, gotten all 71 shiny gold medals in Donkey Kong Country Returns, beat all 12 bosses in Skyward Sword's "Lightning Round" on Hero Mode (without ever getting a single game over), and completed a self-imposed "No Falling" run of Twilight Princess - never once falling into a bottomless pit or lava, sinking into quicksand, etc. (no save abuse, of course - if I ever failed once, I'd have to restart the entire game).

I may not be the greatest player in the world, but I think those are some really over-the-top challenges that I've completed. And still, I'm finding some of these Quick Catch Advanced stages to be ludicrous. The only thing I've come across in gaming that I've found more ridiculous is the Link Between Worlds 999.99 second Endless Mode challenge of the cucco-dodging game. That's the only challenge I've ever come across that I simply had to throw in the towel and acknowledge it was beyond my abilities. I don't think that will be the case with this 4-5 level, but I'm certainly feeling the same sort of thing for it - namely, 'How can I possibly not make mistakes for that many consecutive throws, while having nearly no reaction time?'

Okay, I'm done ranting... For now... :-)

User Info: georgethecow4

georgethecow4
3 years ago#7
The Quick Catch games were some of the easiest for me. I've totally finished all of those with golds and the HRD A+ ranks. But the batting games...those might take me awhile. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, I suppose.
3DS FC: 3136-6598-7067 Name: Andrew

Dragonflame323
3 years ago#8
I've finished all advance golds for Bat and Switch, Make the Call, Feel the Glove, and almost done with the Aim game and Cage Match. I think I'll do Quick Catch next just to see how you mean.

Some of the challenges I've done definitely made me muster up all my skills. It just really makes me want to strive to master this game even more. >.>
"..And that means you!"

Rocky2418
3 years ago#9
Dragonflame323 posted...
Kind of felt the same way about some of the last advance stages in Feel the Glove. But I persisted till I got them. >.>

Well, I clearly feel your pain... So I'm guessing you, too, got the golds on all the Quick Catch advanced levels? So maybe I should ask - both of you - if there are any techniques you used or found to be helpful; anything, like how you held/positioned your thumb on the circle pad. I don't know, anything really. I have a feeling that if I can just finish this one last challenge, then - knowing my strengths and weaknesses - I shouldn't have as much trouble with the remaining 4 games' advanced stages.

(Though to take a break from this one, I did try 1-1 of the Drop & Pop advanced stages. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to hit them any faster. The best I could do was 13 to 14 seconds left, which was never better than silver. Anyway, one thing at a time, I guess; but I just found that to be weird, like I'm missing something obvious or something.)

georgethecow4 posted...
The Quick Catch games were some of the easiest for me. I've totally finished all of those with golds and the HRD A+ ranks. But the batting games...those might take me awhile. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, I suppose.

Yeah, that's the thing to remember, I suppose. Either way, I'm in awe. These Quick Catch challenges just drive me absolutely bonkers.

Dragonflame323
3 years ago#10
I tried the gyro Gear Box games for the bat tapping mini game and I can already that game will be my bane. I couldn't even A rank the second basic challenge after almost 30 minutes >.>
"..And that means you!"
  1. Boards
  2. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
  3. Some of the insane difficulty of the challenges is just plain stupid

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived