incentive to explore, thoughts.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. No Man's Sky
  3. incentive to explore, thoughts.

User Info: Hyjaxxnine

Hyjaxxnine
1 year ago#1
Heya folks I've been thinking about the exploration aspect of the game for some time now and the incentive and excitement therein.

I wanted to get folks opinions on something to see how others think. Especially Arc and Occult.

Ok allow me to first say that this idea is on the basis that we wont really "see" people and that the main gig is discovery and staking your claim.

So here we go....

Ok so as I understand it when the game launches everyone is scattered out to the extreme so upon starting its fairly clear that you are going to find tons of stuff right off the bat.

Would it not be more exciting if everyone started in the same region and you had to get your resources and necessary equipment together quickly in order to push out and find something to put your name on.

(again,I'm not talking about seeing players. Just at the start you would feel the need to gather and prepare in an expedited manner in order to get out and away from the places where discoveries are more common)

In all honesty im not sure if I'm explaining my thought in a manner that is becoming to its glory in my head,lol

But I guess what I'm talking about would be the feeling that the old frontier homesteaders felt as they had to prepare and rush out to make their first discovery. So perhaps my idea is flawed but I'm curious if the possibility of that excitement is important to yall?
PSN- hyjaxx9 .Member of Gfaqs community group.
NID-Hyjaxxnine 0233-2023-0759 playing MH4U

User Info: universaldave

universaldave
1 year ago#2
I think, due to the immense nature of the game, even starting in the same region of the galaxy still wouldn't create that sense of urgency because each starting star system probably would have all anyone would need to get going. You could probably have hundreds of people on the same planet and still have enough resources to go around... it would just take time to gather, regardless.
Fanboys (of all stripes) are sad, pathetic, souls. You know who you are.

User Info: OccultTech

OccultTech
1 year ago#3
I think Sean has gone down the route of putting us all on a random planet in a random rim system to allow us all to have a piece of the universe that is our own, and to allow us to take the game at whatever pace we feel comfortable at.

If we all started in the same sector, or god forbid, the same system, it'd be a nightmare, especially if they implemented traditional multi-player components, and a lot of people would stop playing very quickly.

I also think that starter planets will be quite abundant in resources, and have access to at least a couple of better ships, a couple of better multi-tools, and a few upgrades for both of those, along with perhaps an alien presence of some kind, then as we go further in, it becomes more 'hit and miss', and I think they'll be like that as a nice entry into the game. Just speculation of course.

If the starting galaxy is as large as the Milky Way, there'd be approximately 100 Billion systems, with several billion of those being on the rim, meaning we'd all be guaranteed a unique starting system, especially if those connected to the on-line were assigned a random system that was guaranteed to be not one of those already assigned to another player ... Will be interesting to find out if they have implemented that in the random starter assignment system.

(Side note : For ages, I thought the game was just one mega-galaxy, and so many people told me I was wrong. When I was finally shown proof of the truth, and accepted that the game was a universe composed of loads of galaxies, and that we all start in the same galaxy, and started talking about it, all I get now is people telling me I'm wrong and that it's one mega-galaxy lol ... the proof is out there ... the game is a universe, not a galaxy.)
Waiting on : Eitr, No Man's Sky
Current Top 3 of 2016: Digimon Story - Cyber Sleuth, Rebel Galaxy, Salt & Sanctuary

User Info: Immortal_Azrael

Immortal_Azrael
1 year ago#4
If everyone started at the same spot then you run the risk of people finding that the planets they come across have already been discovered. They want everyone to get that sense of discovery and for it to be a unique experience for all. It's not meant to be a competitive game where you have to rush to discover things before others.
Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/ImmortalAzrael.jpg

User Info: lordgoro

lordgoro
1 year ago#5
OccultTech posted...
I think Sean has gone down the route of putting us all on a random planet in a random rim system to allow us all to have a piece of the universe that is our own, and to allow us to take the game at whatever pace we feel comfortable at.

If we all started in the same sector, or god forbid, the same system, it'd be a nightmare, especially if they implemented traditional multi-player components, and a lot of people would stop playing very quickly.

I also think that starter planets will be quite abundant in resources, and have access to at least a couple of better ships, a couple of better multi-tools, and a few upgrades for both of those, along with perhaps an alien presence of some kind, then as we go further in, it becomes more 'hit and miss', and I think they'll be like that as a nice entry into the game. Just speculation of course.

If the starting galaxy is as large as the Milky Way, there'd be approximately 100 Billion systems, with several billion of those being on the rim, meaning we'd all be guaranteed a unique starting system, especially if those connected to the on-line were assigned a random system that was guaranteed to be not one of those already assigned to another player ... Will be interesting to find out if they have implemented that in the random starter assignment system.

(Side note : For ages, I thought the game was just one mega-galaxy, and so many people told me I was wrong. When I was finally shown proof of the truth, and accepted that the game was a universe composed of loads of galaxies, and that we all start in the same galaxy, and started talking about it, all I get now is people telling me I'm wrong and that it's one mega-galaxy lol ... the proof is out there ... the game is a universe, not a galaxy.)

Universe is better... ill be VERY happy if 5, 10, or even 20 years from now ill still be playing and NEVER run into another player OR some placed even DISCOVERED my someone else other then me!! Thats GREAT!!
"Lets put a SMILE on that face!!"

Hyjaxxnine
1 year ago#6
Immortal_Azrael posted...
If everyone started at the same spot then you run the risk of people finding that the planets they come across have already been discovered. They want everyone to get that sense of discovery and for it to be a unique experience for all. It's not meant to be a competitive game where you have to rush to discover things before others.

See,this was my point. That because lots of people would be making discoveries you would have to prep and get out far enough to stake your claim.

But I do see the point that even starting in the same area would be so massive that there would be no rush to discover something.

I guess id just like there to be a feeling of having to prepare quickly in order to get out and discover something truly your own.

Yall do make great points though.

Edit- Lordgoro I know how isolationist you are but I bet once the game launches and everyone is sharing their discoveries and having great conversations that even you with your staunch beliefs will see that communities are wonderful.

User Info: Arctorus

Arctorus
1 year ago#7
Hyjaxxnine posted...
Would it not be more exciting if everyone started in the same region

In a game of this scale, certainly not. That thought does not exite me.
PSN: Jupiter67 (https://my.playstation.com/Jupiter67)
I could be wrong. I could be right.

User Info: raycetoms

raycetoms
1 year ago#8
Hyjaxxnine posted...
Especially Arc and Occult.

lol...
One of the great things about having a fully dynamic game engine is, settlements, they don't just work.

User Info: NEONswift

NEONswift
1 year ago#9
If you start on a planet or a star system with no life, then there will be limited things to find. Might mean some people have more incentive than others to get out there. But the game is all about planets and discovery, so not sure anyone is going to need much inventive anyway.

I'd prefer the game doesn't force us to get out there as exploring starts at home.

Hyjaxxnine
1 year ago#10
NEONswift posted...
If you start on a planet or a star system with no life, then there will be limited things to find. Might mean some people have more incentive than others to get out there. But the game is all about planets and discovery, so not sure anyone is going to need much inventive anyway.

I'd prefer the game doesn't force us to get out there as exploring starts at home.

Thanks for your input! And youre quite right that some folks will need to get off their starter planet more so that others.

I guess I'm just thinking of a way to build that survival feeling.

Its amazing how geeked out I am over this game. Last night I bought a new computer chair/recliner and mounted my new surround sound to it and have it about 5 feet away from my bow front tv..im ready to rock!
  1. Boards
  2. No Man's Sky
  3. incentive to explore, thoughts.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived