Can't understand the complaints!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Project CARS
  3. Can't understand the complaints!

User Info: bhamacuk

bhamacuk
1 year ago#1
I've been playing this game now since the weekend and I cannot understand where some of the complaints are coming from.

There seem to be two main over-riding complaints: graphics and handling.

The handling is a very contentious issue and judging from the many reviews I've read, I expected my first attempts at the game to be frought with frustration. I expected to be flying off track at every corner, spinning out on the grass, failing miserably to keep my car on track and in a straight line but nothing was further from the truth.

As long as you race sensibly, i.e. pay attention to the racing line, execute the corners using the appropriate speed and be sensitive to throttle and brake control, there's no problem.

Ok, I have been using a wheel mostly, Qbix recommeded settings, stablitiy and traction control and controller input 2 and I realise that others will be using much harder, pro-like settings but still, it's nothing like the complaints led me to believe.

The graphics: now, this is what really gets me. The graphics are fantastic. They are crisp, the cars are beautifully modelled and textured, the tracks look realistic, the cockpit views are well rendered, the environments look photo-realistic too, lovely lighting, the trees look detailed and yes, to use that word again, realistic.

The graphics don't have the immediate pizzaz of Driveclub, but that's because DC are based on fictional tracks and the developers have much more freedom to create / design imaginative tracks with artistic flair.

P Cars on the other hand are based on real world tracks (with variations and a few coastal runs) and they are limited in terms of what they can offer. Most professional circuits look the same, you have tarmac, trees, sky, grass and the usual trackside paraphenalia, like barriers and spectator stands / buildings. There's not a lot you can alter if you're striving for authenticity.

But P Cars does this brilliantly. I'm not much of a fan of real-world circuit racing but I've made an exception in this case.

It looks amazing, so whenever I read that the graphics are rubbish I've just got to shake my head in disbelief.

User Info: Bluntified

Bluntified
1 year ago#2
It's usually fanboys or people who aren't into the genre that nit pick everything to death. It's almost like if some people try to find new ways to be unhappy.

I'm loving it so far, could use some work (as expected) but it does what I want it to do!

What wheel are you using and do you have a link to the settings? I use a t300rs using Jack Spades settings and they run really well for a base but I'm always open to new suggestions.
School of Hard Knocks - Grad.
Noob friendly....

User Info: nnulda

nnulda
1 year ago#3
I pretty much agree with you.
I use a controller and do feel some of the cars are a bit unstable, compared to GT.
However this game is not GT and was never supposed to be, and being used to a different game does not mean that this one is bad, just that you need to adapt.

You will probably notice, quite a few of the complaints come from the same tired old league of living impaired.
Constantly rewording their opinions in post after endless post of tiring trolling.
Or, the GT fanboys who refuse to accept that there are alternatives to their beloved game.

The game is not perfect, nor is it broken, but a few tweaks would not go astray either.

Welcome to a board, that quite a few seem to think is a GT or Forza board.

Just read the posts from the ones who understand the game
And don't bother with anything from Gamefaqlegend.

User Info: pjnelson

pjnelson
1 year ago#4
bhamacuk posted...
I've been playing this game now since the weekend and I cannot understand where some of the complaints are coming from.

If you're playing on PS4, that's why you don't get it. Most of the complaints I've seen have been more about the One version, which runs at 900p, has frame rate issues, had a controller bug whereby it randomly ceases to register your steering input, has loads of screen tearing, and steering is largely a matter of nothing to full opposite lock with limited smoothness in between when on a controller. Oh, and the AI are idiots and wet weather doesn't slow the AI.
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
1 year ago#5
bhamacuk posted...
There seem to be two main over-riding complaints: graphics and handling

I've not yet played the game, which is why I've not complained about handling. Also, I'm not a graphics whore, which is why I've not complained about the graphics.

You want to know why i've not played the game yet? Partly, I've been put off by the reviews on the career structure and the AI. But most of all, and I can't stress this enough, I'm put off buying the game by the lousy, minuscule car selection. That's my major gripe with the game. I'm sure I will get it at one point (when they've patched all the problems, and maybe added some more content, and possibly after the price drops). I'm sure I will enjoy it when I do, but I'm just extremely hesitant to get it.

User Info: Yorozuya_Gin

Yorozuya_Gin
1 year ago#6
bhamacuk posted...
The handling is a very contentious issue and judging from the many reviews I've read, I expected my first attempts at the game to be frought with frustration. I expected to be flying off track at every corner, spinning out on the grass, failing miserably to keep my car on track and in a straight line but nothing was further from the truth.

As long as you race sensibly, i.e. pay attention to the racing line, execute the corners using the appropriate speed and be sensitive to throttle and brake control, there's no problem.

Ok, I have been using a wheel mostly, Qbix recommeded settings, stablitiy and traction control and controller input 2 and I realise that others will be using much harder, pro-like settings but still, it's nothing like the complaints led me to believe.

honestly I dont know why people are complaining about the handling.
One of these days I will buy a steering wheel, I want the G29 if it's ever
announced. So for now, while waiting for any kind of announcement, I
am playing with the Dual Shock 4. I do completely fine with it, although
my 1st time loading up the game and driving a car was pretty rough.
I spun around and hit the guard rails and it was pretty bad. But with
proper adjustment (not on the in game settings, but more on my part)
on the throttle and break control I was doing pretty good.

http://www.twitch.tv/farmflag/c/6782804
(you dont have to watch the whole thing, just skim through it
I have a few crashes, but its not too bad.)

I dont know how to properly record the 15 minute clip limit on the PS4 to
upload to youtube so I am just linking this here. That was me playing the
other day. I'm not the greatest, but as you can see it's totally fine. I just
laugh at those people complaining about the controls. Then again,
I play all sorts of racing games and I am used to adjusting from Arcadey
style to the more realistic ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcRIeU54tc
Goblins!!! AC:NL Dream Address: 5700-3596-4777

User Info: Yorozuya_Gin

Yorozuya_Gin
1 year ago#7
DarkDoc posted...
bhamacuk posted...
There seem to be two main over-riding complaints: graphics and handling

I've not yet played the game, which is why I've not complained about handling. Also, I'm not a graphics whore, which is why I've not complained about the graphics.

You want to know why i've not played the game yet? Partly, I've been put off by the reviews on the career structure and the AI. But most of all, and I can't stress this enough, I'm put off buying the game by the lousy, minuscule car selection. That's my major gripe with the game. I'm sure I will get it at one point (when they've patched all the problems, and maybe added some more content, and possibly after the price drops). I'm sure I will enjoy it when I do, but I'm just extremely hesitant to get it.

this is completely understandable, it does suck that theres only 60+ cars. It wouldve been also nice to have
some kind of progression that gives you points or something. I can see how this game can be done so quickly
for some people and be shelved after a couple of weeks. I myself kinda slowed down, but that's also because
I started buying other games LOL. I am not one to shove anything down anybodys throat, but maybe when
there's more stuff in the game or a price drop like you said, you can pick it up eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcRIeU54tc
Goblins!!! AC:NL Dream Address: 5700-3596-4777
  1. Boards
  2. Project CARS
  3. Can't understand the complaints!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived