transience asks questions about the bracket

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. transience asks questions about the bracket

User Info: transience

transience
1 week ago#1
I don't think anyone can say very much definitively about this contest. it's probably the most wide open one we've done since, well, maybe that rivalry contest. this one is that but multiplied - instead of two on two, we're looking at dozens on dozens. instead of just making a pick and running with it, we're basically trying to ascertain what this contest is even measuring. biggest game of the year? combination of top three or five games? do console releases matter?

therefore, I'm just going to kind of throw questions out there that I think everyone should be considering. if you're looking for someone to just tell you who's going to win, you should probably look elsewhere. I'll make picks along the way to move the topic along but I don't have very strong convictions on anything here.
xyzzy

User Info: ProfitProphet

ProfitProphet
1 week ago#2
Tag
Fortune tellers make a killing nowadays.

User Info: metaIslug

metaIslug
1 week ago#3
when in doubt, the year closest to 1998 wins

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
1 week ago#4
is it for biggest games, biggest moods, important releases, console releases, largest strides, fondest of memories

i'll prob just vote for the years i liked
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: azuarc

azuarc
1 week ago#5
transience posted...
we're basically trying to ascertain what this contest is even measuring. biggest game of the year? combination of top three or five games? do console releases matter?

Certainly something I've wanted to know. And will anyone look beyond the minor list of games that GameFAQs provides for the deeper list, or does it not ever matter to begin with?

Some years have a really deep line-up of decent games, but no prize jewel. Others have one great game in a sea of trash. How to pick in a scenario like that? And what if the main games are ones that are going to provoke mixed reception, like World of Warcraft. Does that make 2004 a great year, or does it actually drag it down?

One other thing that I noted when looking at your write-ups, tran, is that you considered the impact of the year on different platforms. You looks at consoles, then the arcades, then PC, and maybe handheld as well. Will voters look that deeply? If someone grew up on a particular system, will it matter?

The last question I wonder is at what point games start to become too old for site users to look back on them fondly. I was born in 1980. I remember when the NES came out. Certainly not everyone here can say that, and so for many here the SNES or the N64 or even the PS2 is their era when they look back on things with rose-tinted glasses rather than "ugh, look at those terrible old games." I can look at games like space invaders, frogger, galaxian, etc, and respect them...but to a younger gamer, they're simply primitive. So how far back do we flip the switch? Is
this the advice to follow?
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
1 week ago#6
Never underestimate the "I miss the 90s and will complain that it is not currently the 90s" crowd
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

transience
1 week ago#7
http://i.imgur.com/l425ryi.png

I made these really crappy pictures to give myself a sense of what a person is trying to gauge when voting. chances are it won't look very much like this at all but at least it gets me thinking.

anyway, there's really nothing to say about these 70s and early 80s years. 2009 is really, really interesting though.. I'll talk more about it when it gets a real opponent.

http://i.imgur.com/Qd4sQxy.png

this seems like an obvious 1989 win, but what if the match picture is something like this? (apologies for my hideous match pic skills, I'm really not even trying here)

https://i.imgur.com/W3083nw.png
http://i.imgur.com/D38LQz6.png

1989 doesn't have any killers -- its best is Tetris which didn't even really come out in 1989 -- so it probably isn't great. but it's also the year the Genesis, GB and TG16 came out. meanwhile, 1983 is the year the video game market crashed. hmm!

these will get better!
xyzzy

User Info: Metal_DK

Metal_DK
1 week ago#8
1994 vs 2004 is tough for me. I went 94 because more nintendo, but times are changing and Im not quite as sure. But 1994 was my pick. Whoever wins that match easily wins their next one and probably next two matches.
Casual Revolution 2007 - 2016

transience
1 week ago#9
azuarc posted...
transience posted...
we're basically trying to ascertain what this contest is even measuring. biggest game of the year? combination of top three or five games? do console releases matter?

Certainly something I've wanted to know. And will anyone look beyond the minor list of games that GameFAQs provides for the deeper list, or does it not ever matter to begin with?

Some years have a really deep line-up of decent games, but no prize jewel. Others have one great game in a sea of trash. How to pick in a scenario like that? And what if the main games are ones that are going to provoke mixed reception, like World of Warcraft. Does that make 2004 a great year, or does it actually drag it down?

One other thing that I noted when looking at your write-ups, tran, is that you considered the impact of the year on different platforms. You looks at consoles, then the arcades, then PC, and maybe handheld as well. Will voters look that deeply? If someone grew up on a particular system, will it matter?

The last question I wonder is at what point games start to become too old for site users to look back on them fondly. I was born in 1980. I remember when the NES came out. Certainly not everyone here can say that, and so for many here the SNES or the N64 or even the PS2 is their era when they look back on things with rose-tinted glasses rather than "ugh, look at those terrible old games." I can look at games like space invaders, frogger, galaxian, etc, and respect them...but to a younger gamer, they're simply primitive. So how far back do we flip the switch? Is
this the advice to follow?

as for this -- I'm absolutely confident that people won't look at years as analytically as I did in my topic. that was more of a thought exercise than what I thought any random voter would do. I go way deeper than most people would even consider. I expect it to be just whatever's presented in the match picture. what's in that picture could really shape things.

as for when games get too old? we're the same age. I wouldn't take anything before 1990 to have any strength at all with the exception of 85 and 87 to be worth much at all and that's just because of Mario 1 and Zelda 1.
xyzzy
azuarc posted...

The last question I wonder is at what point games start to become too old for site users to look back on them fondly. I was born in 1980. I remember when the NES came out. Certainly not everyone here can say that, and so for many here the SNES or the N64 or even the PS2 is their era when they look back on things with rose-tinted glasses rather than "ugh, look at those terrible old games." I can look at games like space invaders, frogger, galaxian, etc, and respect them...but to a younger gamer, they're simply primitive.

I think 1990 is gonna be the cutoff year. Super Mario Bros 3 is the only NES game this site truly loves; some of the others are respected, but SMB3 is the king of Gen 3 by far. The 80s will probably stink up the field for the most part; even recent years probably win unless it's 2014 or something.
'I am strong... I am wise... I am handsome... And I am right! Always! More than anybody!' - Narshen, Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals
http://i.imgur.com/ASJqROf.gif
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. transience asks questions about the bracket

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.