transience asks questions about the bracket

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. transience asks questions about the bracket

User Info: _SJimW_

_SJimW_
4 days ago#231
I voted DKC because it's the only game in the poll I don't currently own in some form
RIP in Pieces GamerJM, 2007-2015. You will be missed. #UnPermabanJim

User Info: transience

transience
4 days ago#232
sorry guys, the NBA playoffs have taken all my attention and free time lately

I'll try to get a couple in tonight
xyzzy

transience
4 days ago#233

top 5 games: Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Starcraft 2
GameFAQs strength: low
historical importance: low
rally potential: low
overall: low

on paper, this year isn't that bad. Galaxy 2 is an all-time Mario game, Mass Effect 2 is the pinnacle of the Mass Effect series and Red Dead Redemption, while not really a GameFAQsy game, has a whole lot of respect and love out there. there's even a mainline FF. sure, it isn't a great one, but it's still notable.

but there's caveats everywhere. ME2 was probably a top 20 game here until Mass Effect 3 hit and submarined the whole series. Galaxy 2 seems like it should be strong except everyone abandoned ship on the Wii by 2009. there aren't really any games worth pondering for strength and you're relying on name recognition all over the place.

one thing I've been wondering but haven't said: how will voters differentiate between games? for example, if you see 2010 and a picture of Galaxy 2, how are you interpreting that as Galaxy 2 and not Galaxy 1? is Allen/pic makers going to be injecting the one mechanic into each picture that differentiates?

let's take that one step further. you see a picture of Mario and Sonic fighting in a Smash game and the year is 2012. the picture is like the size of a postage stamp. you're browsing on your phone. is that Brawl or Smash 4? not many people are going to know that right off the top of their heads.

what are the years with the sketchiest pics? let's say 2007 gets a picture of Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect and Metroid Prime 3. it wouldn't take a whole lot to mix those up for those series' best games? okay, Assassin's Creed maybe because Altair. I'm not convinced on the rest though.

anyway, 2010 sucks and loses to 2002. Metroid Prime might be debatable but I feel like KH is an anchor that you wouldn't be able to get around.
xyzzy
Team Rocket Elite 4 days ago#234
Ocarina of Time came out in 2000, right? Pretending to be a stronger game might be something some games can take advantage of. MM can probably do a reasonable OoT impression if you keep the moon and the masks out of the picture. Although this won't work if the year is clearly wrong. Like Mario Maker isn't going to be able to pretend it is Mario 3.
My bracket got smashed by DpObliVion.
Congrats to DpObliVion for winning the BGE15 Guru Contest!

transience
4 days ago#235
what about Twilight Princess
xyzzy

transience
4 days ago#236
or FFX in 2003
xyzzy
Team Rocket Elite 4 days ago#237
I think TP graphics are different enough that it can't pretend to be OoT. Also the year might be far enough off that voters will think "that's a Zelda game but I don't know which one" rather than "that's OoT". I haven't played (or even seen much of X-2) so I can't really say how voters would react there.
My bracket got smashed by DpObliVion.
Congrats to DpObliVion for winning the BGE15 Guru Contest!

transience
4 days ago#238
https://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1197/11970954/2820929-06_ffx2.jpg
xyzzy

transience
4 days ago#239

top 5 games: Skyrim, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Dark Souls, Portal 2, Arkham City
GameFAQs strength: medium
historical importance: medium
rally potential: medium
overall: medium

2011 is a pretty strong year by modern standards and pretty average otherwise. Skyrim's the strongest game of the last ten years, probably, until Breath of the Wild displaces it soon. Dark Souls keeps growing and growing. Skyward Sword is a bad game but it's a bad Zelda game and seeing Link in a picture could be strong.

of course, it's up against 2006 and TP Link so that probably won't matter. one thing I will say though: the centerpiece of the 06 vs. 11 picture could be Oblivion vs. Skyrim and that could be dangerous. 06 could rely on KH2 to break the Zelda and Elder Scrolls standoff.

it's too bad 2011 got a strong year. I would have had fun debating it going far. I think taking it makes things more interesting but it's 10 years past GameFAQs's prime.
xyzzy

User Info: Paratroopa1

Paratroopa1
4 days ago#240
I don't think 2011 > 2006 is completely out of the question, but I certainly won't be picking it
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. transience asks questions about the bracket

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.