transience asks questions about the bracket

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. transience asks questions about the bracket

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
1 week ago#31
Xeybozn posted...
Why 2015?

Life is Strange and Undertale, a.k.a. double Tumblr bait
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
http://i.imgur.com/xGg931n.gif

User Info: transience

transience
1 week ago#32
heh, where's my match pic

https://i.imgur.com/86cZqxK.png
xyzzy

transience
1 week ago#33

top 5 games: Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy, Mega Man 3, Dr. Mario, Castlevania 3
notable consoles/technology: Neo-Geo
GameFAQs strength: medium
historical importance: medium
rally potential: low
overall: medium

Mario 3 is almost like a console launch in and of itself. it's the crown jewel of the NES and the first video game that truly matters on this site. Final Fantasy is a notable launch as well. there's a good Mega Man and several other notable games not listed here. 1990 vs. 2000 is one of the few matchups between the early years and the 2000s. who you pick depends entirely on how much you think the site values the NES.

- does 1990 get bonus points for Mario 3 being such a breakthrough game?
- does Final Fantasy resonate with people today?
- 1990 is 27 years ago. is that too old for folks here? that's going to be the defining question in its matchup vs. 2000.

top 5 games: Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy IV, Super Castlevania IV
notable consoles/technology: SNES
historical importance: high
overall: medium-high

1991 could be really strong. there's something about a picture of Mario and Sonic along with the SNES that could really resonate hard. there's also big games like SF2 and FF4. you wouldn't put any of these games besides Mario World on a pedestal in a game contest but combine Mario and Sonic and this comes off as being a hugely notable year.

I think you can make a solid argument for 1991 to make it to the semifinals. 1988 is an easy round 1 opponent. 2002 should be interesting - Prime, KH and Vice City are probably stronger combined but 2002 doesn't have the SNES nor a headliner like Mario World. from there, it could face a number of years - 1994 is probably the most interesting theoretically because you'd be looking at the two biggest 16-bit years. Mario World vs. Super Metroid, Sonic 1 vs. Sonic 3, FF4 vs. FF6. again, edge 1994 in games but dat SNES.

- how much does the SNES matter?
- does 1991 get bonus points for being the height of the Mario/Sonic rivalry?
- how influential will people see SF2? it's hugely important but SF2 has never been nearly as popular as it seems like it should.
- can FF4 get into the match picture when the real story is Mario and Sonic?
xyzzy

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
1 week ago#34
azuarc posted...
And will anyone look beyond the minor list of games that GameFAQs provides for the deeper list, or does it not ever matter to begin with?

Not enough to change the match results, I can tell you that much!
Tombolo Friends of the friendless, seize the day!
The problem is the racism against cute Pokemon.- Luster Soldier
Team Rocket Elite 1 week ago#35
I feel like Mario 3's strength already factors in any disadvantages from being really old. The playrate from the game here is still nearly 90%:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/6038-got-super-mario-bros-3

I think the SNES matters a lot for 1991. But 1994 is so strong that this might only make 1991 competitive with 1994. This is definitely one of the matches that I'm struggling with.
My bracket got smashed by DpObliVion.
Congrats to DpObliVion for winning the BGE15 Guru Contest!

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
1 week ago#36
Just wait, 1992's going to make a run on the back of "Ooh, Sonic 2 and Mortal Kombat and damn the 90s were fun" nostalgia (and then it will unfortunately smack headfirst into 1998)
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

transience
1 week ago#37

top 5 games: Zelda: Link to the Past, Sonic 2, Super Mario Kart, Wolfenstein 3d, Mortal Kombat
notable consoles/technology: none
historical importance: low-medium
overall: medium

1992 has one all-timer and a couple of decent games. LTTP is a top 10er, maybe top 5 in this new Zelda-charged environment. It can carry a year for sure. The rest aren't great - MK isn't that strong here, Wolf3d can't really do much in this console-only 90s world, and Sonic 2/SMK aren't THAT great. I'd look to 1991 to beat 1992 even with lesser games just because it's the introduction of Sonic and the SNES. 1992 has a pretty defined path - 2016 is pretty darn weak barring a rally and 1998 is, well, 1998.

- can LTTP carry the whole year?
- nostalgia is 1992's greatest strength - can it do anything? oh wait it's against 1998 next

top 5 games: Doom, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Mortal Kombat 2, Star Fox, Secret of Mana
notable consoles/technology: none
GameFAQs strength: low
historical importance: medium
rally potential: low-medium
overall: low

for a lot of people, Doom is a seminal game, a top 10 of all time kind of game. on another site, you might see Doom carry a year alone just because of how important it is.

but this is GameFAQs. It'll get votes from some people who recognize the craft, but 1993 is the weak link in the 16-bit generation and goes up against 1998 up front. maybe it does something against a 2000s year but not 98.

- can Doom win some people over?
- can it clear 30% on 1998?
xyzzy

User Info: azuarc

azuarc
1 week ago#38
transience posted...
- can one game carry a year? if so, 1985 can do some damage.
- how much do people care about historical importance? Mario 1 is synonymous with history and it's hard to differentiate, but it's also never had to seriously face a game made after 1989.
- how many games get into the match picture? for 1985, less is more.

I think one game can carry a year if the other year is weak. It's like a high school game where the one team is a bunch of shlubs alongside a future pro player. Can you lose all the other match-ups on the court and still prevail? Only if that one guy is damn good and takes over the game, which is going to depend on how badly the other match-ups are lost. I think '87 has too many tier 2 games for Mario to stand up to.

transience posted...
- do people really care about anything besides Zelda here?
- can the combination of multiple big franchises in the 85/87 match picture outrank Mario?
- what if the NES gets into the match picture? 1985 wins, right?

I think so. '87 has Punch-out and Metroid. And then Castlevania and Mega Man as back-up. While the originals in those franchises (besides Punch-out) aren't their magnum opuses, they represent some very solid IPs and I think the collective weight of them can bury Mario if he's got not support. The only support Mario has in '85 is the NES itself.

Team Rocket Elite posted...
"Only worth one point" probably isn't a good way to look at the match. I expect there to be multiple perfect brackets. Whether it is the final match or the first match, getting a single match wrong is likely the end of your bracket so you have take every one seriously.

Agreed. And I suspect I'm going to gamble one too many times to have a chance. I never listen to what everyone else is telling me, and then pick some strange calls I feel really good about until the match comes up and I get slaughtered. That's why I'm trying to look for analysis now.

User Info: azuarc

azuarc
1 week ago#39
transience posted...
1989 over 1996 is a fun long-shot upset pick..... if you squeeze those and the game boy into a picture vs. Mario 64 and early PS1 games, that could be fun.

Strangely, I had this pick originally until I stopped and thought about it and came to my senses. I don't think '96 wins round 2, but this is a case where one game can carry a year. Mega Man 2 as the star, backed up by DQ1 and Golden Axe, is not going to beat Mario 64 and the N64 itself. This is like '85 on steroids. (And I still might pick '87 to win that match.)

transience posted...
- does 1990 get bonus points for Mario 3 being such a breakthrough game?
- does Final Fantasy resonate with people today?
- 1990 is 27 years ago. is that too old for folks here? that's going to be the defining question in its matchup vs. 2000.

It does with me, not at all, and distinctly likely, in that order.

transience posted...
- how much does the SNES matter?
- does 1991 get bonus points for being the height of the Mario/Sonic rivalry?
- how influential will people see SF2? it's hugely important but SF2 has never been nearly as popular as it seems like it should.
- can FF4 get into the match picture when the real story is Mario and Sonic?

If consoles matter, SNES is going to be key. I doubt the rivalry itself will matter, but I do suspect that people will take note of Mario and Sonic together there. SF2 might not be enough to garner interest on gamefaqs, but I think players will appreciate it as iconic enough to count for something. And yes, I imagine FF4 rounds out the top 4. If I were the match pic designer, I'd put each of these in a quadrant and the SNES in the center.

I'm predicting '91 could do some real damage.

transience posted...
- nostalgia is 1992's greatest strength - can it do anything? oh wait it's against 1998 next

yep. Sadly. '92 probably deserves better than to be fed to the giant this early.

transience posted...
- can Doom win some people over?
- can it clear 30% on 1998?

Not a chance. This isn't Gamespy. When Title Bout (or whatever that was called) ran over there, Doom was the overall #1 seed and barely lost to Mario 3 in the semis, which in turn got crushed by Half-Life. But that was also the only instance in that whole contest of an FPS losing to a non-FPS and it was by two votes. Doom's got nothin' here.

The rest of '93 comes up pretty empty. When people ask me my favorite game, I name something from '93 that isn't even listed (although Tranny mentions it,) but I'm under no illusion that Link's Awakening or Star Fox will do anything...especially when OoT is the opponent.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Paratroopa1

Paratroopa1
1 week ago#40
Don't underestimate 1996.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. transience asks questions about the bracket

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.