Im old school gamer, contra,super ghouls n ghosts etc , so

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cuphead
  3. Im old school gamer, contra,super ghouls n ghosts etc , so

User Info: Maiden6667

Maiden6667
2 months ago#1
is this gameplay on par with those type of games ,Harder or easier on the next gen dpads? are ppl playing with dpads or analog and does it translate well to the dpads of next gen systems?
"Up the Irons

User Info: RaisinBizzle

RaisinBizzle
2 months ago#2
As someone who has beat super ghouls and ghosts, this isn't as hard as that. A lot of that is because If you fail you restart instantly and other than one unique boss fight, most of the bosses and levels are under three minutes. But it's still pretty tough. I'm playing with dpad on a standard Xbox controller which is not great, but it's good enough. I never found myself blaming the controller. It is easily the worst dpad of the other systems, up there with worst ever imo.
3DS friend code: 1075-0729-0396
Currently Playing: Othello, Dominos, Chinese Checkers

User Info: Maiden6667

Maiden6667
2 months ago#3
ty , im sold I think gonna purchase tonight
"Up the Irons

User Info: RaisinBizzle

RaisinBizzle
2 months ago#4
Well worth it. Gameplay is great, visuals are even better. This is up there with breath of the wild for game of the year for me.
3DS friend code: 1075-0729-0396
Currently Playing: Othello, Dominos, Chinese Checkers

User Info: dj_skooter

dj_skooter
2 months ago#5
If you enjoyed those old games, this is right up your alley. This game straight up reminds me of the type of game I'd rent for the weekend as a kid and me and friends would try to make it as far as we could. Like I could so easily imagine me and my friends as kids saying stuff like "Dude! I made it to The Dragon!" or "Man, I cannot beat this robot boss!"

Although it's mostly boss fights, there's enough random elements that you'll have to be on your toes every time. The game plays well, has great music and sound for it's style, looks incredible, and for me at least, took me back to the good ol' days. I think you'll be in for a real treat.
XBL: DJ Skooter - NNID/PSN: DJ_Skooter
https://s3.amazonaws.com/colorslive/jpg_512x512/3551898-10-YrncbNbStJygw.jpg

User Info: JRedmond3

JRedmond3
2 months ago#6
I'd say the difficulty is on par with those, the difference being that most older games were more of a gauntlet / endurance test where you had to sustain the same level through 8-9 stages without running out of lives/continues. Cuphead only demands you do that for the 5 mins or so that each boss takes. It's a good adjustment and lowers the frustration without dumbing things down.

User Info: SSBoKantei

SSBoKantei
2 months ago#7
Easier, but a lot of old school difficulty was meant to pad gametime, or eat quarters depending on when it came out.

And the lack of analogue sticks added to difficulty back then since they forced you into 4 or 8 way shot configurations.

It is at least Super Meat Boy hard? Play, learn, adjust, and keep on keeping on.

User Info: LawnNinja

LawnNinja
2 months ago#8
I'd say Cuphead is of an equivalent difficulty to any classic hardcore game, but it's far less frustrating than those games were.

As others pointed out, a great deal of the "difficulty" in many old-school games came from the fact that dying meant replaying massive portions of the game.

Cuphead doesn't force you to restart from the beginning of the game should you die towards the end of it, but each fight is still just as challenging as anything the old games threw at you.

It's no less difficult than Contra et al, but the fact that you can practice each fight until you learn how to win makes it a lot less frustrating than Contra et al.
"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

User Info: Jack Talk Thai

Jack Talk Thai
2 months ago#9
dj_skooter posted...
If you enjoyed those old games, this is right up your alley. This game straight up reminds me of the type of game I'd rent for the weekend as a kid and me and friends would try to make it as far as we could. Like I could so easily imagine me and my friends as kids saying stuff like "Dude! I made it to The Dragon!" or "Man, I cannot beat this robot boss!"

Although it's mostly boss fights, there's enough random elements that you'll have to be on your toes every time. The game plays well, has great music and sound for it's style, looks incredible, and for me at least, took me back to the good ol' days. I think you'll be in for a real treat.

What a terrific time that was, man. *begins to cry*
My FREE monthly superhero webcomic!
http://theill.webcomic.ws/comics/314/

User Info: PJ_Thorn

PJ_Thorn
2 months ago#10
The difficulty of the fights themselves is on par with Contra, GnG, and other similar games.

HOWEVER, the infinite lives and no requirement to play through levels before the bosses makes Cuphead a much easier game to complete. There's no risk or running out of lives and having to restart. There's no gauntlet to run before getting to the boss fight. There's virtually no punishment in Cuphead.
  1. Boards
  2. Cuphead
  3. Im old school gamer, contra,super ghouls n ghosts etc , so

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived